Dying Russian dwalf hamster

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
Hello I have a very elderly Russian dwalf hamster. I just went to clean his cage and found him in motionless state and very lightly breathing. Has anyone got any experience and advice on how long this process will last :( I feel awful just seeing it lying there.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Sounds like he's in topor, like hibernation, many hammies are thought to be dead but are instead in torpor!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally, I'd say that at the end of June, hibernation is a bit unlikely... but with the low temperatures this year, who knows... :confused:

If you're absolutely sure it's old age hammy is suffering from and a trip to the vet is only going to distress him, just make sure he's warm and comfy in his cage and let him be. Animals don't have the same awareness of illness or approaching death that we do so as long as he feels he is in a dark safe place, it is (imo) one of those rare occasions that you can let nature take its course. As to how long that course is... I don't know. Perhaps a call to your vet?

Hope hammy has a kind and gentle departure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My thoughts are with you tonight and your wee hammy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Well he slipped into a very deep sleep last night and past away some time early this morning I'm just relieved the whole process didn't take to long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Poor mr hamster . Will you bury him in your garden.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that Glow88. Sleep well little russian buddy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    sorry to hear that op. I was hoping it was torpor, even though its late in the season. RIP little hamster dude.