Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMFAO if this is true.......

He's being saying for the past two years there's a Lotus P1 project, the car is built and has been put through crash testing. Funny how not a single picture anywhere has turned up, no media access granted, absolutely nothing of any substance.

I remember hearing somewhere that a car, or at least a chassis does exist.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    And yet after all that we never find out if Berger made it.

did he though?
  • Options
    Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that a car, or at least a chassis does exist.

They've been saying that for the past two years, that's the running joke on RLM and Daily Sportscar at the mo.

They've had every chance in the last couple of years to show some actual real evidence for this Lotus P1 project and at every turn they've declined it and kept people in the dark.

The chassis might exist on paper, or maybe the odd bit of carbon bonded to another but in reality that car is dead. Even more so now with Kolles focus going onto this F1 team.

Interesting Joe Saward is stick up for CK (comments in the latest article on JS website) which surprises me as CK has been very scathing about F1 in recent years, ever since his team failed.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lotus P1 did exist and was crash tested.
    It failed the crash test and I believe the team was told that it would require a complete redesign to pass (as opposed to just adding a bit more carbon) so it has been abandoned.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    Oddly this is often the case in the US with sport; ABC name checked NBCSN's forthcoming IndyCar coverage numerous times during the races this weekend. That's akin to BBC doing it for ITV!!

Is that because they're required to do so by the rights holders as part of their contract?
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news top guy I met couple times Karl bomber Harris died at superstock TT today....a mixed and varied career & lively lifestyle...top marks to Whitham and plater today struggling to broadcast at end of the show for a good friend of their's & former team mate of Steve p too...
    Rip bomber....
    Was a 65 yr old garage owner yesterday as well gone...sad but sport is cruel in road racing :(
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    dying doing what you love - no better way to exit !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Page won't load....was it a real image of the car or a mock up PR image?

A quick google search has lots of shots of the P2 car of recent years, but no 2014 P1 car of any substance, just a single bare bones carbon tub shot, no electronics, nothing.

If F1 want to believe this Forza Rossa team are credible, more fool them. I'd be very surprised to see them make a race.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Page won't load....was it a real image of the car or a mock up PR image?
    It was just an image of the unpainted tub.
    https://flic.kr/p/nPuBYd
    The new T128 driver's compartment is designed to meet the 2014 ACO-FIA P1 regulations concerning driver positioning and outward visibility.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Report about the Lotus T129 LMP1 being unveiled next week at Le Mans:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114271
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114278

Depressing reading, a bunch of old men who not only think the world is the same as it was in the 80s, but the little they do understand of modern media they misunderstand completely.
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member

Depressing reading, a bunch of old men who not only think the world is the same as it was in the 80s, but the little they do understand of modern media they misunderstand completely.
    I imagine he's possibly getting confused with all the trolling stuff that's been going on on sites such as Twitter?

Still, it frustrates me how people ignore the second-screen experiences for F1 offered by the BBC Sport app, Sky Race Control App & the NBC Sports App in America. Which of course are all available on a Desktop computer as well.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only a fad...
    What's the big deal?
    :D
    Jp
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

Interesting they quote the 53% increase in BBC 5 Live as 'people changing how they consume content' - as if they changed on purpose.. more like that's the only way people can get FTA Live F1 when it's a Sky weekend.. I'm sure they'd rather live pictures too!
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite considering myself reasonably au fait with technology, I always wonder what people are talking about when they want "F1 to make the most of opportunities offered by new media channels like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube."

What can FOM offer through something like Twitter that currently doesn't exist? What would they be able to do or do better than the broadcasters, teams or the average fan with 140 characters of text? Same with Facebook. I'm not sure being able to 'Like' F1 is a feature that fans are crying out for.

The only one that remotely makes sense and could potentially be worthwhile is Youtube, but revenue-wise it could harm their core television broadcast income and not make enough to cover the shortfall. Didn't Channel 4 recently pull their content from Youtube because they weren't getting enough of a cut of the ad-revenue? Perhaps the broadcasters should be doing more with video on their own websites?
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Despite considering myself reasonably au fait with technology, I always wonder what people are talking about when they want "F1 to make the most of opportunities offered by new media channels like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube."

What can FOM offer through something like Twitter that currently doesn't exist? What would they be able to do or do better than the broadcasters, teams or the average fan with 140 characters of text? Same with Facebook. I'm not sure being able to 'Like' F1 is a feature that fans are crying out for.

The only one that remotely makes sense and could potentially be worthwhile is Youtube, but revenue-wise it could harm their core television broadcast income and not make enough to cover the shortfall. Didn't Channel 4 recently pull their content from Youtube because they weren't getting enough of a cut of the ad-revenue? Perhaps the broadcasters should be doing more with video on their own websites?

Engagement with Social Media is important, not for delivering HD races but for generating interest. Lots of people increasingly subscribe on their twitter feeds and Facebook feeds to things they're interested in including sports. The MotoGP Facebook account is particularly well maintained. Good content on these services can quickly reach a wide audience and is a vital way for any form of entertainment to promote itself.

People are also changing how they browse the web, increasingly people will park themselves on Facebook or Twitter rather than going through a series of bookmarks, let alone RSS feeds.

That said the importance of this isn't the be all and end all. Formula 1's viewing figures are dropping because it is now increasingly on pay TV in its key markets and this is the real problem. It is very clear that a significant number of teams have cash flow problems and struggle to attract sponsorship, this is the worst time for F1 to be making such a move.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »

Sponsors and teams want to engage a younger audience by offering clips of the race as it happens and shortly after through sites like Youtube, Vine, Whatsapp, BBM ect. I think similar things happen in Football for example.

As we know, Bernie likes his exclusivity and scarcity. The idea had merit 10 years ago, not so much these days. F1 has an ageing audience and its not being replaced by younger folk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great discussion this week on RLM about broadcasting, i didn't know it's only £112 per hour to broadcast a HD satellite feed.....that's peanuts!!

Anyway, here's the link:

http://audio.rpix.org.uk/mwm/9/mwm9-22.mp3

From around 30 mins in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lovely video about intra-team rivalries has been posted on the FOM App, hosted by James Allen. Plenty of archive footage, including track action & interviews etc. Still less biased than the Senna Movie :P
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Lovely video about intra-team rivalries has been posted on the FOM App, hosted by James Allen. Plenty of archive footage, including track action & interviews etc. Still less biased than the Senna Movie :P

How much video is on there per weekend? I don't want to fork out however much for half an hour video or whatever it is
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    How much video is on there per weekend? I don't want to fork out however much for half an hour video or whatever it is

Normally a 10 min video preview or so. Tbh, £7 for the whole season is pretty good value, even now after a few races
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it's a one-off payment of £10 (although maybe it's more now, as the £10 was originally a one-off thing), which is pretty much peanuts in this day and age. I mean it's OK IMO cos it's one off. Personally I wouldn't pay a subscription for it.

But yeah, its usually around 45mins to an hour around 10-ish videos, for each weekend. I wouldn't pay for them on their own, but they would make nice on-demand companion features to an online streaming service. They're in the similar vein to the videos that the Blancpain Endurance series etc. post on youtube, leading up to the race, although their typically shorter due to being designed to be viewed on the go on phones etc.

They seem to be shot & uploaded very quickly, which is nice. The longer videos (around 10 to 15 mins typically) where they have interviews or deeper analysis are better IMO. They've also started uploading the Driver Parade interviews too on a Sunday morning, other than that it's a very ad-hoc approach to what they show on a weekend.

Gary's analysis videos are nice because they stick him in the session trackside, and show his analysis from the drivers point of view, a bit like Martin's practice voice-overs on Sky, although this time you actually see Gary & the track action.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally a 10 min video preview or so. Tbh, £7 for the whole season is pretty good value, even now after a few races
    I thought it was more than £7 - good value as you say in which case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought it was more than £7 - good value as you say in which case.
    Oh nice, I didn't realise it was cheaper. :)
This discussion has been closed.