Dyslexia in Adults

SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am in the process of training a new starter in my job, however this is proving harder than it ever has been before.

From my observations I believe this worker to suffer from dyslexia, however I don't feel like they are perhaps aware of this. This thought comes from the fact they struggle with reversing numbers, spelling - even when spelt to them, large bodies of words, short term memory problems and awkwardness on the phone to people.

I have looked for tips online on how best to assist with this, however it's a fairly awkward subject to broach with them without causing offence.

Unfortunately we are in a job were time and precision are important - spelling mistakes cannot happen and with the public on the phone we are obviously on a small time frame.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or some advice on where best to head with this. They are trying really hard and otherwise a good fit in the office, I just want to help them be able to stay!

Comments

• Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry no advice really but my ex partner of 3 years had severe Dyslexia and the problems were more than unable to read/write. Just like you stated he also struggled remembering the simplest things ie dates of birth, if he asked a question re a time etc he would forget and have to ask again. He struggled talking to people he didn't know eg on the phone, face to face interviews. He would get nervous if he had to write anything even if it was just a signature. There was no way possible he would ever be able to do an office job as his difficulties were very extreme. I don't have any advice on what you should do but it does sound like this person is Dyselxic. I'm not saying that this person will be unable to do the job as the severity of the condition varies in each individual but my experience with my ex was that he needed a LOT of support day to day so working in an office environment would be nigh on impossible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^Please note I am not saying you should not give this employee a chance. I was just giving my take on the difficulties faced.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    Sorry no advice really but my ex partner of 3 years had severe Dyslexia and the problems were more than unable to read/write. Just like you stated he also struggled remembering the simplest things ie dates of birth, if he asked a question re a time etc he would forget and have to ask again. He struggled talking to people he didn't know eg on the phone, face to face interviews. He would get nervous if he had to write anything even if it was just a signature. There was no way possible he would ever be able to do an office job as his difficulties were very extreme. I don't have any advice on what you should do but it does sound like this person is Dyselxic. I'm not saying that this person will be unable to do the job as the severity of the condition varies in each individual but my experience with my ex was that he needed a LOT of support day to day so working in an office environment would be nigh on impossible.

I'm dyslexic. i have a masters degree in physics from oxford. i have worked in offices, on trading floors, i even worked in mcdonald when i was at uni. i've never had any complaints about my management style.

the condition is not the same in all people.

what you are saying is akin i once knew someone who was left handed and he couldn't cook so i don't think, if this other person is left handed they would be able to cook either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flagpole - I did state that everyone who is Dyslexic is different. I'm not great at wording things but I was just saying that was my experience of it. Of course not every dyslexic person is the same. I spent my relationship reassuring my ex daily that he was not stupid so I do not have this view on dyslexic people. You're an example who proves this. I'm sorry if I came across as though I didn't think someone suffering from dyslexia would be able to a job all I was trying to say was that some are able some are not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've re-read my first post and can see why you would think I was saying that. I just meant it to refer to the person I know being unable to do an office job, not everyone who is dyslexic. I'm not very good at writing out what I'm trying to say.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Squishy wrote: »
    I am in the process of training a new starter in my job, however this is proving harder than it ever has been before.

From my observations I believe this worker to suffer from dyslexia, however I don't feel like they are perhaps aware of this. This thought comes from the fact they struggle with reversing numbers, spelling - even when spelt to them, large bodies of words, short term memory problems and awkwardness on the phone to people.

I have looked for tips online on how best to assist with this, however it's a fairly awkward subject to broach with them without causing offence.

Unfortunately we are in a job were time and precision are important - spelling mistakes cannot happen and with the public on the phone we are obviously on a small time frame.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or some advice on where best to head with this. They are trying really hard and otherwise a good fit in the office, I just want to help them be able to stay!

maybe the problem is his new boss thinks they are qualified to diagnose dyslexia and having done that is talking to them like they are an idiot?

maybe you are not very good at teaching?

if you bring up the subject of suggesting he is dyslexic, when he complains to HR, you will in trouble. not him. if he is dyslexic you are required to make reasonable accommodations. and if that means he takes longer for him to learn and you have to alter the way you do things then tough.

all dyslexia is not the same but for me i find it difficult to remember things that are arbitrary. i can't remember the difference between permeability and permittivity. or stigma and stamen. unless i remember that B pertains to magnetism as does permeability. and the stamen is the sperm producing part of a plant which is the part that goes away. and stay-away. so i either need a way of remembering like that. or i need to understand how something works.

i can remember phone numbers, pi to a large number of digits but not names and dates of birth. so i write them down. which would make me slower at certain tasks than other people, but i'm quicker at others. if i was having to do your job your way whilst you were waiting for me to write stuff down you might think i was stupid or slow. but i'm actually much much smarter than you.

i feel like a dick on the phone if i know i don't know what i'm talking about. if i do i'm fine. so that will come.
  • SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    maybe the problem is his new boss thinks they are qualified to diagnose dyslexia and having done that is talking to them like they are an idiot?

maybe you are not very good at teaching?

if you bring up the subject of suggesting he is dyslexic, when he complains to HR, you will in trouble. not him. if he is dyslexic you are required to make reasonable accommodations. and if that means he takes longer for him to learn and you have to alter the way you do things then tough.

all dyslexia is not the same but for me i find it difficult to remember things that are arbitrary. i can't remember the difference between permeability and permittivity. or stigma and stamen. unless i remember that B pertains to magnetism as does permeability. and the stamen is the sperm producing part of a plant which is the part that goes away. and stay-away. so i either need a way of remembering like that. or i need to understand how something works.

i can remember phone numbers, pi to a large number of digits but not names and dates of birth. so i write them down. which would make me slower at certain tasks than other people, but i'm quicker at others. if i was having to do your job your way whilst you were waiting for me to write stuff down you might think i was stupid or slow. but i'm actually much much smarter than you.

i feel like a dick on the phone if i know i don't know what i'm talking about. if i do i'm fine. so that will come.

Maybe you shouldn't be quite so accusing with your post?

I'm not this person's boss, I merely said I was training them (the second person to try), and I'm not 'diagnosing' anything - it is a theory based on observations which might explain why this person is struggling more than anyone else. I'm trying to find ways to work WITH this condition, if it is in fact the case, rather than just dismiss them out of hand.

Rachael your comments were nearer the mark. My previous boss was dyslexic, he was open and upfront about it and whilst it meant I had to proof read any letters he sent, generally he coped well in an office environment - but like you say, there is no 'blue print' for it - everyone is affected differently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's another example then of how different people cope. I hope you find a way to approach the subject with your employee as you sound very helpful and supportive :)
  • SquishySquishy Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Rachael. There must be ways around it, I mean I would imagine there are plenty of say doctors and nurses out there who suffer in this way - but I'm interested in techniques they use to say; ensure they don't prescribe a dosage of 100 instead of 10 - or how they can be sure they've asked all questions they need to and recalled the answers, or written a diagnosis correctly when something else only 2 letter out could be something different entirely.

It's hard, but it must be possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A guy I supervise in work is dyslexic and he's a bloody genius. I dont think there's much (apart from spell!) that he cant do - build cars, fix computers, fix a boiler or a washing machine. He even knits ffs.

He talks to himself quite a bit though. I asked him why today as I dont mind but it can be a bit strange when clients come in and he's babbling away to himself. He says its easier for him to formulate his thoughts if he speaks them out loud.

Not much to add to the thread Im sorry, but I find the subject interesting as my son also has dyslexia.:)