F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Sometimes not having a Red Button replay is understandable as they do use those feeds for there other interactive sports coverage. At other times though during session/race replays all thats been shown on the red button feeds is the f1 placeholder videos which are used before/after each feed goes active during the sessions.

I still think they could make more use of those feeds outside of the live sessions as there are so many feeds available to us its impossible to catch everything you would like to during the live coverage.

They should integrate F1 into there event center app. They have there football, Cricket & Rugby coverage as part of that & it allows you to watch things as live with all the stats & facts available to be displayed just as they were for the live coverage.

Its on there website & also on ipad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdoYdcwc5c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPLENgTvPmU

Integrate F1 into that & store all video feeds on there to be watched as live for a week or maybe until the next race weekend or something. If they can do it for there other sports they should be doing it for F1.
    I imagine that once Sky sees little point in having F1 on it's own channel, they'll merge it back into what you linked above...
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Do F1 have any rules in place to govern what should happend if most of the grid dives into the pits on the parade lap to change tyres and then start from the pit lane? Happened in MotoGP yesterday with bikes rubbing fairings at the pit exit as they waited for the pit exit to go green.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    I imagine that once Sky sees little point in having F1 on it's own channel, they'll merge it back into what you linked above...

Sky has little option but to put F1 on its own channel.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Do F1 have any rules in place to govern what should happend if most of the grid dives into the pits on the parade lap to change tyres and then start from the pit lane? Happened in MotoGP yesterday with bikes rubbing fairings at the pit exit as they waited for the pit exit to go green.

Not really specific to that circumstance, but there is the more general rule:

38.2) ...any car reaching the end of the pit lane after the five minute signal must start behind any car already at the pit exit.

Obviously, in the case of sudden rain:
    38.14 a) If it starts to rain after the five minute signal but before the race is started and, in the opinion of the race director teams should be given the opportunity to change tyres, the abort lights will be shown on the Line and the starting procedure will begin again at the ten minute point.

Charlie's been pretty happy to start a race with 6 on the grid before, so as long as 38.2 is adhered to, there isn't really a problem.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

Agreed - unless:

a) Sky's Premier League rights are slashed
    b) the rights change

Although as we've seen in the past, F1 contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Agreed - unless:

a) Sky's Premier League rights are slashed
    b) the rights change

Although as we've seen in the past, F1 contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.
    Well they now have Sky Sports 5 to shuffle things around onto...
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

Why is that?
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    Not really specific to that circumstance, but there is the more general rule:

38.2) ...any car reaching the end of the pit lane after the five minute signal must start behind any car already at the pit exit.

Obviously, in the case of sudden rain:
    38.14 a) If it starts to rain after the five minute signal but before the race is started and, in the opinion of the race director teams should be given the opportunity to change tyres, the abort lights will be shown on the Line and the starting procedure will begin again at the ten minute point.

Charlie's been pretty happy to start a race with 6 on the grid before, so as long as 38.2 is adhered to, there isn't really a problem.

The way all FIA series have been reacting to wet weather racing recently, it is highly likely this will never happen. Moreover the 38.14 clause will be adhered to then the start will take place behind the safety car which won't come in until it's way past intermediate tyre conditions.

There have been precedents in Formula 3 and other championships this year where the SC comes out for light rain before the track even gets to the state of slippery let alone undrivable, it seems the FIA want to mandate the decision of what tyres are safe to run themselves these days instead of letting teams and drivers work out what is best.

(AND it's even WORSE in American racing, but don't even get me started on that ;) )
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member

As happened in the 2008 Brazilian GP :)
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Its disappointing to see that recently Sky have already started repeating the Classic Races which were shown earlier in the year.

They said they had the archive from 1981 onwards so its not as if they have simply run out of 'new' stuff already.

Also have they said anything about when that new program with the never before seen archive footage will start? Been a while since they announced it & I don't recall hearing anymore info about it since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also have they said anything about when that new program with the never before seen archive footage will start? Been a while since they announced it & I don't recall hearing anymore info about it since.

The taping did happen. Steve Rider presented with Ted Kravitz; Christian Horner, Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell served as guests throughout the day - I think there was a swap in the middle between Hill and Mansell.

I think based on the length that the entire series was filmed in one day, however I've not seen or heard an air-date.
    Forum Member
    The taping did happen. Steve Rider presented with Ted Kravitz; Christian Horner, Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell served as guests throughout the day - I think there was a swap in the middle between Hill and Mansell.

I think based on the length that the entire series was filmed in one day, however I've not seen or heard an air-date.
    I wonder if this will just be clips enhanced with some sort of multi-angle comparison? i.e. they'll show a clip (e.g. a famous overtake) from a view most people remember it from (i.e. from the World Feed), then they'll show the same thing again from different angles (presumably from the previously un-catalogued/un-digitised footage from other cameras not shown on the w. feed at that present moment in time) & talk about it some more...
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member

I wonder if they'll sit in a dark room, take LSD, and go wild with the archive & playout machines, then talk about it, then talk about it some more, then watch a whole race shouting WOW, then talk about it some more? ...
    Forum Member
    There's a new type of video on the F1 App today, a "circuit guide", which is a 5-min un-commentated, reel of archive clips over the years from Hockenheim, from '82 onwards set to music, plus Vettel's 2012 Qualifying Lap. Nice to see them rocking the old F1 Digital graphics there too :P
    http://i.imgur.com/dNXPV5u.png
    http://i.imgur.com/0RX19yX.png
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    There's a new type of video on the F1 App today, a "circuit guide", which is a 5-min un-commentated, reel of archive clips over the years from Hockenheim, from '82 onwards set to music, plus Vettel's 2012 Qualifying Lap. Nice to see them rocking the old F1 Digital graphics there too :P
    http://i.imgur.com/dNXPV5u.png
    http://i.imgur.com/0RX19yX.png

Always loved the old hockenhein. It's not the same these days
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennie Gow is taking over from Lee for the next 2 races.
    Forum Member
    Starting to upload the 2009 Superleague Formula season, 1st round from Magny-Cours is up:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbM7X17wy_hvZkMjtyYwHAd86-ht7YxLw
    Forum Member
    Starting to upload the 2009 Superleague Formula season, 1st round from Magny-Cours is up:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbM7X17wy_hvZkMjtyYwHAd86-ht7YxLw
    I never got the hype around Superleage Formula, it was just A1GP with the teams named after/sponsored by Football teams... Even became more like A1GP after that folded, when the football teams stopped being interested, so they had to name a couple after countries in SF's final season...
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Spanish Grand Prix? Saw it live for FREE on BBC 1 [Yes, I'm ignoring tv licence but bear with me],
    Monaco Grand Prix? Saw it live for £35 a month via Sky Go PC monthly ticket on Sky Sports F1,
    Canadian Grand Prix? Saw it live for £35 a month via Sky Go PC monthly ticket on Sky Sports F1,
    Austrian Grand Prix? Saw it live for £35 a month via Sky Go PC monthly ticket on Sky Sports F1,
    British Grand Prix? Saw it live for £150 by attending the race for the 1st time,
    German Grand Prix? No Sky Go monthly ticket, no race ticket, BBC highlights -> Not watching the race live (and the same for the Hungarian Grand Prix) :p

Free - some money -loads of money - not at all
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got the hype around Superleage Formula, it was just A1GP with the teams named after/sponsored by Football teams... Even became more like A1GP after that folded, when the football teams stopped being interested, so they had to name a couple after countries in SF's final season...

If you ignore the stupid concept, the racing, the cars and the weekend format were on the whole pretty good actually.

But you do look at all these series like SF and A1GP that nearly got a stable platform and foothold and wonder whether Formula E will be able to avoid the same problems somewhere three, four years after it's first race.
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    If you ignore the stupid concept, the racing, the cars and the weekend format were on the whole pretty good actually.

But you do look at all these series like SF and A1GP that nearly got a stable platform and foothold and wonder whether Formula E will be able to avoid the same problems somewhere three, four years after it's first race.
    A1GP was alright, I just felt that SF was kinda un-neccesary tbh. There's one thing the world doesn't need and that's *another* open-wheel formula.

On an un-related note, I really love how well written the features are on the Official F1 Website: http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/7/16087.html They strike a good balance between being informative, yet not too daunting for the non-technical minded people out there.
    Forum Member
    Regardless of the concept or the need for it, As solarflare said the racing in Superleague formula was brilliant. Its still the only Open wheel category i've seen put on exciting dry weather races at Magny-Cours :o

The TV production was also very good & they had HD OnBoard's from Gigawave:
    http://gigawave.vislink.com/products/products/?Category=29&Product=39

http://gigawave.vislink.com/news/archive/archivedetail.php?ID=17&newsarchiveyear=2009&newsarchivemonth=1

I sometimes wonder why World Series By Renault (And some other open wheel categories like the FIA F3 & to be honest even F1) haven't grabbed a few of those Gigawave HD T-cams. The OnBoards WSBR use are twice the size of the dummy T-cam's on the rest of the grid & the cameras themselfs are still low quality 4:3 which they stretch to 16:9.
    http://youtu.be/lJSk9ixAfFM?t=10m6s

Gigawave will be handling the OnBoards for Formula E, The housing they have developed for the roll-hoop camera is a bit odd:
    http://gigawave.vislink.com/news/news/newsdetail.php?ID=486&thumb=d
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie Pinkham has posted a baby scan picture over on Twitter, so we may well see some changes in Sky's lineup for 2015
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The way all FIA series have been reacting to wet weather racing recently, it is highly likely this will never happen. Moreover the 38.14 clause will be adhered to then the start will take place behind the safety car which won't come in until it's way past intermediate tyre conditions.

There have been precedents in Formula 3 and other championships this year where the SC comes out for light rain before the track even gets to the state of slippery let alone undrivable, it seems the FIA want to mandate the decision of what tyres are safe to run themselves these days instead of letting teams and drivers work out what is best.

(AND it's even WORSE in American racing, but don't even get me started on that ;) )

I think it's only ovals they don't race in the wet on and I think it's understandable, the amount of spray generated especially on a short oval and the high speeds would be very dangerous, I've seen plenty of road and street racing where they race in the wet.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indycar even did a standing start in very wet conditions at Houston this year, and managed to race problem free until the track had dried (then the madness started). F1 would have delayed that start.
This discussion has been closed.