✭✭✭✭
    That looks 'good'.:o
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    Half way through now
    As a Glaswegian I can't stress how embarrassed I am at this shambles. The minute Karen Dunbar with her flared nostrils and gurning face appeared my fears were realised - we were going to embarrass ourselves in front of the world.

As if that isn't enough viewers have had to endure the entire night incessant back patting about how friendly and down right amazing Glasgow and it's people are. I love Glasgow but I've never heard a host nation praise itself quite like we did tonight. It was excruciating.

Now please excuse me, I have an English accent to work on while I pack my suitcase for Devon.

Great post. I think you sum it up very well. Haven't got a clue who she was, but, by god she (and Barrowman) were ultimately an awful way to start it and sadly it never recovered.
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, what were folks best bit ?

I liked the countdown from 30 to 15

After that it went downhill rapidly.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Oh come on people why so cynical and critical.

The Commonwealth is to remind us of the days when the Scots and the English ran the world - and we knew that it's probably not a good idea to screw a baton up too tight.

Once the excitement of the lawn bowls event begins you will forget all this negativity!:D

Many Scottish nationalists would have you believe it was England that ran the world and poor wee Scotland was just another of our colonies.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrowman!!! (shakes fist.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many Scottish nationalists would have you believe it was England that ran the world and poor wee Scotland was just another of our colonies.

They'd have you believe a lot of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It genuinely is one of Glasgows tourist attractions, the city tourist bus makes a big thing of it.

That's really rather sad, tbh.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it had its crappy moments but it has really whet my appetite. I'm going to be in Glasgow for the weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.

Now time for a wee dram as a nightcap.
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glasgow thinks everything it does is either hilarious or magnificent. As the media is based there we get it broadcast to us all the time. Manky Manfred's post was a good summation of how others see Glasgow actually.

I'm not sure of that's true, people from Glasgow are the most likely to take the piss out of that awful ceremony.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bet Fiona Bruce is spitting feathers. Even if she is scottish!
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :

Originally Posted by curmy

You'd better hurry up, we might not let you in after Sept !

I've seen some chicken transports driving up and down the M74. I'll squeeze in with them. Cant be any less fowl than living in an independent Scotland. See you soon then perhaps!

Your post was one of the best of the evening :) You're welcome in Suffolk where I live ! Don't forget if Salmond annexes Scotland we'll be building Hadrian's wall another 20 ft higher, so get a move on :D
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona on news..wonder if she popped across the road for another cocktail:D:D
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Silly old fool that I am, I enjoyed that.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Great post. I think you sum it up very well. Haven't got a clue who she was, but, by god she (and Barrowman) were ultimately an awful way to start it and sadly it never recovered.

An introduction to 'Gay Friendly' Glasgow :D
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely think the Barrowman thing was the best part. Whether that says much for the ceremony as a whole is for you to decide!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, what were folks best bit ?

The Proclaimer tune and erotic dance was good

The black singer in the red dress. She was wonderful. The athletes' parade was good, but then it's hard to cock that up anyway. The Scottie dogs were also great. Everything else was quite spectacularly mediocre.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the minutes silence for the plane crash felt crowbarred in to proceedings. Suprised they didn't have one for Peaches Geldof too.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Super Frog wrote: »
    I'm not sure of that's true, people from Glasgow are the most likely to take the piss out of that awful ceremony.

We all take the p*ss out of ourselves up here.
  • Options
    PhoenixPhoenix Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    For me the best bit was the way the Queen's car bounced up and down when driven over that springy stage. It's a good job she didn't get car sick!
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Well as soon as I saw Karen I cringed, but in the end I really enjoyed it. We took the piss out of ourselves which is fine, any attempt at seriousness like 2012 would have failed.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glasgow thinks everything it does is either hilarious or magnificent. As the media is based there we get it broadcast to us all the time. Manky Manfred's post was a good summation of how others see Glasgow actually.

You're talking nonsense, Glasgow doesn't take itself seriously at all.
  • Options
    PhoenixPhoenix Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Thought the minutes silence for the plane crash felt crowbarred in to proceedings. Suprised they didn't have one for Peaches Geldof too.

She died sometime ago.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member

It did jarr a bit. Salmond trying to show he is 'statesmanlike' I guess
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

to be fair, they may have to have a minutes silence for the shambles of an opening ceremony too
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Barrowman I really enjoyed the rest of the event and ...yes... Glasgow bigged themselves up...but they did well IMO. Well done Glasgow.