Radio Times letter about front cover

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the most ridiculous letters in this week's RT. Last week, to mark the start of the Commonwealth games, RT's front cover featured the England flag with the words "England goes for gold." One woman, "a proud Welshwoman living in England" as she put it, took exception. She complained that it ignored the other home nations.

The response, which made her look rather stupid, explained the cover was different in each of the home nations. Even I had worked that one out. Is this woman really that thick, or did she seriously expect RT to distribute a Welsh cover in England especially for her? Yes, how dare they support the England team, in England.

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    If she was a subscriber it would have been a neat touch if they has asked which cover she wanted posting to her.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the RTs response is all that valid.

I find it an odd thing to do with a front cover in this day and age, somewhat isolating. Almost nationalistic.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Oh, here he is.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, here he is.

:D:D:D
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,579
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    If she was a subscriber it would have been a neat touch if they has asked which cover she wanted posting to her.
    I'm assuming they did that. An easy job to send the England one to addresses in England, etc.
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I find it an odd thing to do with a front cover in this day and age, somewhat isolating. Almost nationalistic.

You are aware that most magazines nowadays can be published with multiple covers either to cater for geographic variants or (for example) multiple characters in a film? TV Times for example have run Emmerdale specific covers for the north of England as the viewing percentage there is higher.

It's not isolating, it's not nationalistic - it's just good marketing to promote the region the product is being bought in. If anything it's actually about increasing a sense of community (as well as increasing sales of course...)
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps like other ex-pats she could have got one sent to her from home. :D
    ... I find it an odd thing to do with a front cover in this day and age, somewhat isolating. Almost nationalistic.

I'm surprised someone didn't write to complain that the Commonwealth was an anachronism and shouldn't exist in the 21st century, or does that just apply to the British Empire. :p
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »

Presumably they will have previously have asked that or she will have been receiving the wrong edition for some time. Also some people on the border might prefer to have the addition for the adjacent region.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can imagine English viewers being confused if they got an edition with the Mod or Eisteddfod on the cover!
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant remember the last time we in Wales had an article specifically about a TV or Radio Programme for Wales - even the choices pages sometime include programmes not being shown in Wales ( yes i know we can watch it on other BBC channels - but this fact passes RT by) I did ask them only to be told it would cost too much to provide a truly regional edition
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Maybe the edition sold in Wales features a Welsh athlete on the cover?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »

I'm surprised someone didn't write to complain that the Commonwealth was an anachronism and shouldn't exist in the 21st century, or does that just apply to the British Empire. :p

Why shouldn't the Commonwealth exist in the 21st Century? :confused:

Memebership is voluntary, so any country is free to either join or leave and it is no longer exclusively for former British colononies or territories. Mozambique is a former Portuguese colony and Rwanda is a former Belgian colony, but both are now members of the Commonwealth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Maybe the edition sold in Wales features a Welsh athlete on the cover?

It features the Welsh flag, as RT explained in their response to the complainer
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    It just had a different flag in the background and font colours
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is the radio times available in the isle of man and the channel islands - i know they are not part of the uk. if so , what covers did they have ?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be in 'Books, Magazines & Newspapers' anyway.

Even when the BBC owned RT it was a publishing thing and not a broadcasting thing.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were pro-Independence campaigners mouthing off this morning about The Telegraph featuring photos of English medal winners on its cover. They failed to notice that was the English edition, and the Scottish edition had swapped them for Scottish medal winners. :D
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, here he is.

Don't get it. Seriously.
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »

Except it would have been the wrong region
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not like the wrap round listings idea.

The pull out like the 2012 Olympics and 2014 Sochi were better.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Reminds me on the Steven Gerrad comic strip cover during the world Cup for England and we in Scotland got a tiger. Don't know what Wales and Ireland got?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RT has been doing different covers for the national regions for years. If you subscribe by post you can say which edition you want.