BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and on todays packed programme, we ask the question, should the BBC have sacked my husband for claims of bullying and sexual harassment ?

"and me, how does it make me feel?... Oh, right... (deafening silence)... Apologies, we seem to have technical issues. Over to Susie with the weather..."
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    , put cricket on R4 198 only.
    And where would you put the Shipping Forecast?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Nicky Campbell call in on - 'fracking'. Angela Knight guesting - how patronising does she sound?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Nicky Campbell call in on - 'fracking'. Angela Knight guesting - how patronising does she sound?

Ex Tory Mp
    Then fully paid up apologist for the banking trade
    Then fully paid up apologist for the energy trade
    She is well versed in bullsh*t
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five's Commonwealth Games borefest is about to overtake its Mandela fortnight for crass broadcasting. Thank god for Test Match Special at 11am...
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    At 10:25 if you want to enjoy the pre-amble.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it me or has the standard of news/sports readers gone downhill recently? This has always been a professional part of the station but recently I have heard lots of them stumbling through bulletins or reading without much of a flow.
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Is it me or has the standard of news/sports readers gone downhill recently? This has always been a professional part of the station but recently I have heard lots of them stumbling through bulletins or reading without much of a flow.

Or swallowing noisily on the middle of a sentence....
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »

Dotun Adebayo is now doing the training
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    that Colin Patterson - good for 30 seconds on a red-carpet movie premiere pice but intolerable for all hours up till 0100 - when the Dotun Adebayo Big Radio Switch-Off show comes on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier League live commentaries can't come quick enough for Five Live.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yawn. More wall-to-wall coverage of the games, including Nicky Campbell broadcasting from an empty stadium at 7am.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    Yawn. More wall-to-wall coverage of the games, including Nicky Campbell broadcasting from an empty stadium at 7am.

Yes. It's pathetic. Thank god there is alternatives. As they have ruined Five.
    Lbc, radio 4, TALKSPORT, Classic,, 4 extra, for me even James Whale on Bbc Essex.
    They (the controllers/producers/presenters) really need shooting for what they have done to the once very good Five.

Others no doubt will think everything is hunky dory.
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »

Isn't he well named: CAMPbell.

Him and his northern camp bag carrier, are an extremely irritable double act.

And isn't he the image of Cliff Richard, says my wife :blush:
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier League live commentaries can't come quick enough for Five Live.

And why would that be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    And why would that be?

It needs listeners, thats why!
    (LBC's parent company shareholders must be wishing the Commonwealth Games could come annually).
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needs listeners, thats why!
    (LBC's parent company shareholders must be wishing the Commonwealth Games could come annually).

because you have proof that the rest of us aren't privy to that the games are affecting 5Live's listening figures, despite said listening figures not being released for months yet. obviously I will accept without question your posts as fact... you are like one of those mad religious types predicting the end of the world, although in your case it is the end of 5 you confidently predict. may the wrath of jonathan wall be visited upon you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because you have proof that the rest of us aren't privy to that the games are affecting 5Live's listening figures, despite said listening figures not being released for months yet. obviously I will accept without question your posts as fact... you are like one of those mad religious types predicting the end of the world, although in your case it is the end of 5 you confidently predict. may the wrath of jonathan wall be visited upon you!

Thank you much appreciated.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guyree wrote: »
    that Colin Patterson - good for 30 seconds on a red-carpet movie premiere pice but intolerable for all hours up till 0100 - when the Dotun Adebayo Big Radio Switch-Off show comes on

Well I'm loving the Commonwealth Night programme. Lots of fun. Not quite as good as Livesey's Olympic evening show, but much better than listening to Phil Williams & especially Nolan!
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I am so fed up of this wall-to-wall coverage of the Games, which even continues until 1 a.m. Radio 5 Live is unlistenable to at the moment. There are only 4 hours in the day when the Games aren't on and that's when most of us are asleep. The bonus is that I have found more stations to listen to and I may not even go back to 5 Live being my first choice and where I did most of my listening. I have to dip in and out of other stations, as none provide all day listening, but it is broadening my horizons. Even Radio Leeds has improved since last time I listened, but maybe that's only because 5 Live has dumbed down lately. I am certainly looking forward to the new schedule in October, with a few reservations, but so happy to be rid of Derbyshire and Bacon. My joy would have been complete if Nolan had gone as well.
  • pondsmanpondsman Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Nicky Campbell's Scottish credentials somewhat compromised this morning when interviewing the family of Scots boxer McFadden. Was clearly struggling with the Motherwell accents and some of the 'cultural references'. But he is from Edinburgh, after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I am so fed up of this wall-to-wall coverage of the Games, which even continues until 1 a.m. Radio 5 Live is unlistenable to at the moment. There are only 4 hours in the day when the Games aren't on and that's when most of us are asleep. The bonus is that I have found more stations to listen to and I may not even go back to 5 Live being my first choice and where I did most of my listening. I have to dip in and out of other stations, as none provide all day listening, but it is broadening my horizons. Even Radio Leeds has improved since last time I listened, but maybe that's only because 5 Live has dumbed down lately. I am certainly looking forward to the new schedule in October, with a few reservations, but so happy to be rid of Derbyshire and Bacon. My joy would have been complete if Nolan had gone as well.

Swansea Steve, Station ID, and Phil Ander - a representative view above, or one from a Moaning Minnie? IMO, representative.
  • Ross RevengeRoss Revenge Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    because you have proof that the rest of us aren't privy to that the games are affecting 5Live's listening figures, despite said listening figures not being released for months yet.

Would it not be possible for Radio 5 Live to identify a fall, or rise, in UK listening figures now, during the games by monitoring their on-line audience figures and comparing them to when the games weren't on? Assuming it's possible, this would then give some kind of indication of numbers?
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm not enjoying the wall to wall coverage of the Games but I just choose not to listen in much at the moment.

I would have thought that extensive coverage of the Games fits well within 5 Live's remit, especially given it is a Public Service Broadcast station. As much as I am choosing not to listen at the moment I don't think the station is doing anything wrong by its current extensive broadcast of the Games.

This is a chance for other stations to step up to the mark if they see a gap in the radio market that 5 Live are currently not providing.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live are now a sport station. News is just peripheral.
This discussion has been closed.