Do you feel sympathy for Robin Williams

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    I feel sympathy for those people in Iraq running about the desert with nothing. I don't feel any for the millionaire Williams.

I also feel for the people in Iraq
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sympathy for those people in Iraq running about the desert with nothing. I don't feel any for the millionaire Williams.

Please say you're a troll.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    He had the money to put right whatever was wrong. Most people don't have that option.

Dear god do you actually believe that? Money can't buy your way out of everything. If that were the case then I'm sure Steve Jobs and Christopher Reeve would still be here and Michael Schumacher would be fighting fit again.

Robin Williams was mentally ill. All the money in the world couldn't 'cure' that. Yes he would've had access to better resources but ultimately he was just too ill and beyond help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Your ignorance is DISGUSTING.

People like you are why there is still such a huge stigma surrounding mental illness.

thanks , but the feeling is mutual

i can understand mental illness is a bad thing , and can have severe effects .

but what i cant understand how its deemed a legitimate(or socially acceptable) reason for suicide , i feel sorry he had problems and wish he coulda seeked better help .

before you negate this point , ask yourself this.... if he was still of sound mind then killed himself , would you still sympathise with him............ if his illness drove him to murder his children and/or wife ...would depression still be a legitimate reason that drove him to it

to me it seems like everyone is saying '' hey its ok he killed himself as he was depressed' , and i agree whole heartily that it is disgusting
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Your ignorance is DISGUSTING.

People like you are why there is still such a huge stigma surrounding mental illness.

Seconded.
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    thanks , but the feeling is mutual

i can understand mental illness is a bad thing , and can have severe effects .

but what i cant understand how its deemed a legitimate(or socially acceptable) reason for suicide , i feel sorry he had problems and wish he coulda seeked better help .

before you negate this point , ask yourself this.... if he was still of sound mind then killed himself , would you still sympathise with him............ if his illness drove him to murder his children and/or wife ...would depression still be a legitimate reason that drove him to it

to me it seems like everyone is saying '' hey its ok he killed himself as he was depressed' , and i agree whole heartily that it is disgusting

This doesn't make any sense to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    This doesn't make any sense to me.

neither does your reason for sympathy

my opinion is basically everyone is saying it ok to take your own life if you are depressed.

then calling me disgusting as i disagree, i guess i suck at making points
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the Vietnamese won't have too much sympathy, although they may change their tune in a few weeks now they can finally have that long overdue lie-in every morning.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She overdosed on a drug while her baby was in the other room, he chose to kill himself because of his depression and his children are grown ups. That's why there will be sympathy for one and not the other.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I feel empathy for both...Williams probably more so because of my own experience of severe depression and suicidal thoughts.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Many of the comments on this thread just illustrate the huge amount of ignorance surrounding mental illness - possibly one of the most devastating and debilitating illnesses there is and being invisible it makes it worse. Oh, and money doesn't cure it.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member

my opinion is basically everyone is saying it ok to take your own life if you are depressed.

No one is saying it's okay. It's obviously tragic for all involved. What they are saying is that the fault lies with the illness rather than the person suffering from the illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think anyone has said it's 'ok' More that they have said it offers a very sad explanation for it.
    Forum Member

Erm, where is my reason for sympathy that you are referring to? Please quote it as I can't find it.

I would agree with you one thing, you do 'suck at making points'.

I still don't understand what you were trying to say in your previous post. Please clarify, if you are able.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immense sympathy. The only thing that money solves is poverty.
    How would it help if you have terminal depression?
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Immense sympathy. The only thing that money solves is poverty.
    How would it help if you have terminal depression?

Exactly, it couldn't help at all. So sad.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anybody not have sympathy?
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    i think its a shame he died, he was a good actor and brought joy to many .....
    but he topped himself

he deliberately caused upset to his family, friends, colleagues and millions of fans

how can that be sympathized with .

i feel sympathy for anyone upset by his selfish actions

Oh dear.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    You're going to ruin my reputation you are! :D

:D You speak a lot of sense regarding mental health, nobody can fault you for that!
  • KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you feel sympathy for Robin Williams and not for Peaches Geldof?
    There seems to be a lot of sympathy for Robin Williams and there was quite a lot of bitterness towards PG ?
    I was wondering why ?
    Both had an addiction, alcohol or drugs.
    Both suffered with depression.
    Both had children.
    Both are now sadly gone.
    There seems to be a lot of support and affection toward Robin Williams, I was just curious to know what the difference was, or even if there was one?

There is treatment for depression/anxiety which he could have used. Medication/counseling/cognitive-behavioural therapy.

By the way, I struggled with it for 10 years but meds helped me. I never turned to drink or narcotic drugs. There is definitely selfishness in what he did, his family are going to have to grieve through this process. At least when your family are dead and you have no kids no one has to live with the burden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone feels so low that they only way out of their torment is to kill themselves then clearly we cannot judge them by our own standards.

Depression can hit people in different ways, some people can say they have had the illness before but maybe not on the same scale as the next person. There is no logic to depression. In a cold sense, then I guess you could say it is a selfish act to kill yourself but like I said , logic goes out of the window. To someone suffering from depression, in their mind they might feel its selfish for loved ones to want them to carry on suffering alive.

So of course its fairly easy to have sympathy with anyone suffering from depression.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    There is treatment for depression/anxiety which he could have used. Medication/counseling/cognitive-behavioural therapy.

By the way, I struggled with it for 10 years but meds helped me. I never turned to drink or narcotic drugs. There is definitely selfishness in what he did, his family are going to have to grieve through this process. At least when your family are dead and you have no kids no one has to live with the burden.

My health is not your health, what works for one won't work for another. I cured mine by food elimination after many years on different pills and therapy that didn't work.
    RW just never found what worked for him.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really thought public understanding of mental illness had come a long way, what a shame it hasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My health is not your health, what works for one won't work for another. I cured mine by food elimination after many years on different pills and therapy that didn't work.
    read just never found what worked for him.

Good point.

I have recently read Robert Enke’s biography. (The German national goalkeeper who killed himself leaving a family and young child). He battled depression for years and had two lapses – one he was able to overcome and one that pulled him under. He tried over a long period of time (many years) to fight it with various help so he did try to overcome it but in the end he felt he couldn’t and the only escape was to kill himself. That was a tragedy all round for the whole family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I really thought public understanding of mental illness had come a long way, what a shame it hasn't.

Agreed. Its sad.