Are morning matches possible?

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
In the recent Commonwealth Games, some hockey matches were played in the morning.Has there ever been any reports of football matches being played before midday. Anyone for 10am, 11am kick offs

Might make a change. What are the chances of leagues doing that for TV ratings

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Not in the UK that I can think of, people like to sleep in on the weekend so those types of fixtures would be bad for ratings and attendances.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool v Arsenal back in 2000 had an 11.30am kickoff and was shown live on Sky, so early kickoffs have happened before.

I don't think fans and broadcasters would be happy about 10am kickoffs though.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt, given the choice, many people would vote for an early kick off over a post-midday one. I guess there's also the issue of public transport too, especially on a Sunday.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    What about the sleeper trains for long distance away fans
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the sleeper trains for long distance away fans

Possibly. It all seems a bit inconvenient though, people driving in would have to be up and on the road very early.

Just don't really see any benefits of early kick-offs, other than it's something a bit different.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly. It all seems a bit inconvenient though, people driving in would have to be up and on the road very early.

Just don't really see any benefits of early kick-offs, other than it's something a bit different.

More TV slots?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making a vague change, moving it to a time when fewer people are watching and copying hockey and/or the Olympics' ugly cousin aren't really compelling reasons.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you don't copy a sport that is struggling to survive (in hockey).

Weekend afternoons and weekday evenings are really the best time for football matches to be played.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool v Arsenal back in 2000 had an 11.30am kickoff and was shown live on Sky, so early kickoffs have happened before.

I don't think fans and broadcasters would be happy about 10am kickoffs though.

11.30 is the earliest I can every recall too. Don't think I'd want to attend a match any earlier. I've been to athletics that started at 8.30 and went to the Tour De France Grand Depart early doors too but they were different sports. Don't think football is suited to an early kick-off.

Even during World Cup games when we've seen AM kick offs it has seen a little wired watching football at that time.
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at an Irish league game a few years ago that kicked off at 11am to avoid crowd trouble
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a Manchester derby that kicked off at 11am in the 92/93 season from Maine Road. Saturday 20 March 1993 to be precise!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    More TV slots?

I doubt there would be any interest from the broadcasters for an early kick-off. They tend to rate better with a later slot.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a number of PL matches in the late 90s kicking off at 11.15am on a Saturday morning for Sky's benefit.

Wasn't there a Man City match - possibly against Villa - which kicked off at around 11am on Sunday not so long ago?
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    I remember a number of PL matches in the late 90s kicking off at 11.15am on a Saturday morning for Sky's benefit.

Wasn't there a Man City match - possibly against Villa - which kicked off at around 11am on Sunday not so long ago?

Man City v Everton 11.15am no surprise the match & atmosphere was dog turd the match ended 0-0.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the recent Commonwealth Games, some hockey matches were played in the morning.Has there ever been any reports of football matches being played before midday. Anyone for 10am, 11am kick offs

Might make a change. What are the chances of leagues doing that for TV ratings

Only if you want to make football as popular as hockey is. Imagine getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning after a rough Friday night to get to the pub before the game kicking off at 10am. You'd be lucky if the players turned up! 3pm Saturday is perfect with a nice tasty 530 kick off on Sky sports.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It rips my piss that we're already at the whim of TV companies for dates and times of fixtures

Climbing out of bed early on a Saturday or Sunday would be the final straw.

Then again, the match going crowd have never been in the thoughts of those in the media, despite them being hypocritically quick to be enthusiatic about "how the crowd was tonight."
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    It rips my piss that we're already at the whim of TV companies for dates and times of fixtures

Climbing out of bed early on a Saturday or Sunday would be the final straw.

Then again, the match going crowd have never been in the thoughts of those in the media, despite them being hypocritically quick to be enthusiatic about "how the crowd was tonight."

Would the TV companies themselves actually want an early morning Saturday or Sunday kick-off, though? I can't see that being a particularly good time for getting a high number of viewers, compared to the Saturday tea time and Sunday afternoon kick-offs that are currently the standard times for televised matches.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    I was at an Irish league game a few years ago that kicked off at 11am to avoid crowd trouble

I'm sure that the Northumbria Police would make the Tyne & Wear derby to kick off at 8am if they could.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    I think 10 or 11am kick offs should be for local derby matches only, but to be honest i wish all games would go back to saturdays at 3pm.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    I think 10 or 11am kick offs should be for local derby matches only, but to be honest i wish all games would go back to saturdays at 3pm.

That'll never happen with TV demands, personally i think all Premier League matches not on TV should be moved to Sunday 3pm & televised live even if it's on the Red button like SKY do for Champions League matches, & those teams playing Champions League on the following Tuesday the matches are played 12.45pm Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'll never happen with TV demands, personally i think all Premier League matches not on TV should be moved to Sunday 3pm & televised live even if it's on the Red button like SKY do for Champions League matches, & those teams playing Champions League on the following Tuesday the matches are played 12.45pm Saturday.

It's not that simple though. They don't just keep PL matches at 3pm Saturday to preserve the 'closed window' - they also do it for supply & demand. Drip feeding what's now 154 matches per season from 60 per season in 1992 has enabled the PL to eek out huge sums for the UK market. Moving those extra 3pm matches to a Sunday and making the package(s) available for UK purchase would bring in minimal funds because they're not exactly the biggest head-to-heads of the season. I can't see a scenario of all 380 matches being sold in the UK for the foreseeable future, so much so that should the next auction have another increase it will only be a small incremental increase of a maximum of 15-20 matches.