American Fridge ?

Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
Forum Member
We have a Smeg fridge freezer at the moment and it is utter shite. Had the engineer out 5 times in 4 years and I want shot of the thing as it is costing me a fortune.

I have been around all my local shops and can't find anything to fit in the space. I seem to have a choice of either the massively wide American side by side fridge freezers or too tall half and half fridge freezers.

What I am looking for is a large American style fridge with a small sized freezer compartment above it.

Any ideas please ?

Comments

• chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1306066&highlight=american+fridge+freezer
    There's a recommendation in here down the page. But also do a search on DS, there's a few more threads about
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that it was helpful to see the recommendations.

My problem is finding the size to fit the smeg shaped hole I will have when I finally bin this one. A side by side won't fit, and all the others on the market seem to be half and half.

I want a Smeg shape but not a Smeg ! Difficult one, but thanks for finding your old thread.
    Forum Member
    Can anyone out there help me ?
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    whats wrong with the smeg? how come you've had to have the engineer out so many times?
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a few on the comet site, try currys too.
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    whats wrong with the smeg? how come you've had to have the engineer out so many times?

The Smeg was fine for just over a year. Then it started making a sound like a juggernaut on a cobbled street. Engineer came and fixed it. The exact same problem has occurred over and over again, each time I was told that it was definitely fixed.

It's doing it again and I have vowed not to spend any more money on the heap of crap.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I have a problem with smeg myself. Does yours let off an awful smell?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Must say, after having read a few on line reviews for smeg, it would seem that they place aesthetics above anything else. Certainly not worth upwards of 1k!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what size the smeg is but I used to sell fridge freezers and people were always asking for ones that fit a specific height - very common request.

The main brands I recall are LEC and Whirlpool & 149 / 214 cm are the figures that jump to mind, but it was a good 10 years ago. Head along to Currys with your dimensions and see what they say
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    I have a problem with smeg myself. Does yours let off an awful smell?

There's always one.

Go away.