Options

Ironing

Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it just me that thinks ironing is almost a completely unnecessary job and that people have been brainwashed about the need to iron things? The only clothes I own that require ironing are my smart work shirts, everything else I just hang up on a hanger to dry and the creases always drop out.

I know people who moan "I've got all the ironing to do tonight". When questioned about it, it turns out that they iron every single piece of clothing they own. You're just torturing yourself, there's absolutely no need, a completely unnecessary job.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that it is relatively nice compared with a lot of housework jobs. I would always rather iron than, say, clean the oven or the windows, so if necessary I am prepared to iron things like towels and socks just to put off the nasty jobs a bit longer.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Uhuh.

I've seen people ironing t-shirts and even undies. Wierdo's!

It's all about hanging clothes on a washing line sensibly.
    Do that and you rarely need to iron anything, except shirts and trousers.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Is it just me that thinks ironing is almost a completely unnecessary job and that people have been brainwashed about the need to iron things? The only clothes I own that require ironing are my smart work shirts, everything else I just hang up on a hanger to dry and the creases always drop out.

I know people who moan "I've got all the ironing to do tonight". When questioned about it, it turns out that they iron every single piece of clothing they own. You're just torturing yourself, there's absolutely no need, a completely unnecessary job.

I haven't ironed anything for donkey years. I use an invention called a tumble dryer.

See the 'house work' thread for details of some anal ironers.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1668647
    The problem is that it is relatively nice compared with a lot of housework jobs. I would always rather iron than, say, clean the oven or the windows, so if necessary I am prepared to iron things like towels and socks just to put off the nasty jobs a bit longer.

Or you could just post on DS. Oh, hang on. Perhaps watch the box.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I iron everything, pants, T-shirts, hankies, bed linnen. I think they look better and feel nicer ironed and I find it quite theraputic.

No-one's forcing you to do it, If you don't think it's worth it, don't bother.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

See the 'house work' thread for details of some anal ironers.

Hmmm, a bit of a drastic way to try to get rid of wrinkles in that area. Surely it'd lead to blisters and more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Hmmm, a bit of a drastic way to try to get rid of wrinkles in that area. Surely it'd lead to blisters and more.

I like to iron my literal interpretations.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I've got divorced, my ironing days are over. It appears it was all his stuff that needed ironing.

I've been saved from a lifetime of drudgery :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I hate ironing with a passion but I do think most clothes look much better ironed, even my tumble doesn't get all the creases out.

I found a solution though, get the eldest to do it in exchange for her pocket money. She's actually better at it than me too so win/win.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely iron.

Tumble dry - and don't over do it, get it out quick and shake it.

The only things I have that need ironing are the occasional summer dress and linen trousers.

I don't wear the trousers much.:o
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Some people iron their sheets. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdcage wrote: »

It's ironing their TOWELS, that baffles me.

That and the knickers:D
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My Mum used to iron the towels, including tea towels :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes I do bed linen. Nothing better than getting into freshly laundered and ironed sheets.

Towels, no.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No-one's forcing you to do it, If you don't think it's worth it, don't bother.

I don't do it, apart from my smart work shirts that have visible creases. I just don't understand how people see imaginary creases in things and come to the conclusion that everything needs ironing.

I bet 90% of avid ironers wouldn't be able to tell whether one of my t-shirts had been ironed or not.

I think it's a job that's been conditioned into people, they've seen their mother ironing and just assumed that everything needs it.

I imagine the iron manufacturers all sat in a room on piles of gold laughing at everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member

My stepmother irons knickers and socks, along with sheets and towels. Utter madness.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE doing the ironing!

My children have left home and as OH has a job which requires work clothes I don't have much ironing to do. So I iron for a couple of families who hate it...The pay is pretty good too!
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Yes I do bed linen. Nothing better than getting into freshly laundered and ironed sheets.

Towels, no.

As a matter of interest, how often do you change your sheets (and iron them)?
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here iron a crease into their jeans?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a matter of interest, how often do you change your sheets (and iron them)?

Usually four weeks
  • Options
    shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member

Why is that baffling ?

I'd be mortified if my husband and children went out in un-ironed underwear as it's something I'd never do myself.

It's lovely to get ironed towels out of the cupboard, especially tea towels and they sit so much neater on the rail when they've been pressed.

Everything except nylon tights gets ironed in our house - clothes, underwear, bed linen, socks, hankies, towels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shoesgirl wrote: »
    Why is that baffling ?

I'd be mortified if my husband and children went out in un-ironed underwear as it's something I'd never do myself.

It's lovely to get ironed towels out of the cupboard, especially tea towels and they sit so much neater on the rail when they've been pressed.

Everything except nylon tights gets ironed in our house - clothes, underwear, bed linen, socks, hankies, towels.

Can you tell a difference between ironed and un-ironed underwear when it's on? I don't know because I don't iron it.

I do iron tea towels and table cloths though, I think because those are the items my granny trained me on. It's ingrained and does look better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shoesgirl wrote: »
    Why is that baffling ?

It's baffling because the pile on the towel should be up, fluffy, to iron it flat is to lessen the towel's effectiveness at the job it's supposed to do.

As for the knickers - they look FINE when I take them out of the dryer, and they look damned good on my bum an' all.

I can live without being 'mortified' by the very IDEA (because, truly, there is no difference in the appearance) that I hadn't ironed me pants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't ironing towels just depress the fibres and make them less absorbant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Un-ironed or ironed underwear. Come on. As if anybody is going to notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    - Can you tell a difference between ironed and un-ironed underwear when it's on? I don't know because I don't iron it. -

Boxer shorts yes. Knickers and thongs etc I wouldn't be knowing about that sort of thing.