Police commissioners

alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please someone assure me that only people with relevant knowledge, experience and qualifications will be allowed to stand.
Or is it just another set of well paid jobs for career politicians who know nothing?

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Please someone assure me that only people with relevant knowledge, experience and qualifications will be allowed to stand.
    Or is it just another set of well paid jobs for career politicians who know nothing?

John Prescott is standing for commissioner in his area and is likely to win. Does that answer your question?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurrah...another thread on Police Commissioners...at this rate we'll soon have enough to form a Police Authority ;)
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I suggest that you read the literature of your candidates. Then you will know who is standing in your county. I have already received some of mine and all of the relevant details about all candidates will be online from 26th October onwards on the relevant website.

http://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/police-crime-commissioners/
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is of course a political role, not a police role

Deciding priorities and setting budgets and holding senior officers to account.............they are politicial activities

So why would you rather have a policeman doing it than a politician ?

It's a political job - a politician should do it !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Deciding priorities and setting budgets and holding senior officers to account.............they are politicial activities

I entirely disagree. I am voting for someone who is not a politician or an ex-politician but who has earned a living outside of politics.

It's pretty insulting to people who have been successful outside of politics to suggest that they are not up to the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Have you read the details of all the candidates?

BTW

A police and crime commissioner (PCC) is independent and will be elected to oversee how crime will be tackled in your police force area.

Their aim will be to cut crime and to ensure your police force is effective. They will bring more of a public voice to policing and they will do this by:

regularly engaging and meeting with the public to help set police and crime plans;
    ensuring the police force budget is spent where it matters most; and
    appointing the chief constable, and (if necessary) dismissing them if they have not performed well.

The PCC will not 'run' the police force. Chief constables will continue to be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the police force, but they will be accountable to the public via PCCs.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

They have to meet strong criteria and have to take an oath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I entirely disagree. I am voting for someone who is not a politician or an ex-politician but who has earned a living outside of politics.

It's pretty insulting to people who have been successful outside of politics to suggest that they are not up to the job.

But when he does the job he'll be a politician............

He might not have been one before but he will be one when he's doing a political job

In other words you're voting for someone who wants to be a politician
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People can become politicians later in life when they have gained experience of life outside the party bubble.
    Its party apparatchiks desperate to win an "election" that worry me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

we're not having elections for the Met.............

which rather betrays the policy...........if these Police Commissioners are such a good thing how come the biggest police force, serving our capital city, isn't getting one ?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm voting for Frank Reagan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But when he does the job he'll be a politician............

He might not have been one before but he will be one when he's doing a political job

In other words you're voting for someone who wants to be a politician

I disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    we're not having elections for the Met.............

which rather betrays the policy...........if these Police Commissioners are such a good thing how come the biggest police force, serving our capital city, isn't getting one ?

Because London already has a Metropolitan Police Commissioner.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because London already has a Metropolitan Police Commissioner.

He isn't elected though and is in reality just a very very senior police officer. I suspect there isn't going to be an elected one for the Met as there is an elected mayor for London.

Imo the Met should be broken up anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    He isn't elected though and is in reality just a very very senior police officer. I suspect there isn't going to be an elected one for the Met as there is an elected mayor for London.

Imo the Met should be broken up anyway.

I agree with you. The Met seems to be a law unto itself and I am not happy with the political interference from any mayor.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a laugh - there's been nothing round these parts, no leaflets, not even any rundown on the candidates in the local papers.

I've received my Notice of Polling card though, informing me of my postal vote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you. The Met seems to be a law unto itself and I am not happy with the political interference from any mayor.

How come you're happy to see political interference from elected police commissioners then ?

'Deciding priorities' is a deeply political activity
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An elected board might work with no one person having overall power.

But a single individual in such a position is a recipe for abuse, it's almost guaranteed.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    That's a laugh - there's been nothing round these parts, no leaflets, not even any rundown on the candidates in the local papers.

I've received my Notice of Polling card though, informing me of my postal vote.

It's a shame that you don't have internet access, because profiles of all candidates are on various websites including BBCNews.

Oh, wait.. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How come you're happy to see political interference from elected police commissioners then ?

'Deciding priorities' is a deeply political activity

You are attempting to put words in my mouth. Don't do it.

I have already said clearly that I do not agree that the Police Commissioners are political appointments.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are attempting to put words in my mouth. Don't do it.

I have already said clearly that I do not agree that the Police Commissioners are political appointments.

So political parties will not be backing any of the candidates?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So political parties will not be backing any of the candidates?

They will. But they wont be the only candidates.

The policies will be based on the wishes of the communities they serve - not the policies of central government. Local communities will have their voices heard and their priorities identified and dealt with.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    The majority of the candidates across the country are local councillors, many of whom have sat on police authority boards. The problem is that the commissioner role is a lot more hands on so I can't assure you that most of the candidates have valid qualifications for the role.
  • shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused: of course its a political appointment, that is why, eg in my area, there are four candidates - a Conservative candidate, a Labour candidate, a Lib-Dem candidate and an Independent. How on earth can anyone suggest it is not a political appointment? The majority of the candidates are councillors - local politicians, plus some independents.

When the candidates are described as a Tory candidate etc surely its naive in the extreme to suggest it is anything else but a political appointment?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another paid posting for the political class.