Moving from litter tray to garden

2»

Comments

• MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    i only have indoor cats, my aunt has 11 indoor cats it shouldnt come down to cost surely

Cost is one issue but some of us don't particularly like smelly litter trays in our homes, we may tolerate them because we have to but they can look unsightly and take up space in compact homes. They also take time to clean and replenish properly and time can be a premium for many of us - I leave my house at 7am and do not get home until nearly 10pm on the days I am working. I live on my own. I know people say they clean up mess immediately but what about those people, like me, who work long hours only to come home to smelly trays? Owners of indoor cats invariably accuse us of being 'lazy' but I don't beIieve it is lazy to work. I have a hooded tray and use good quality litter but I'm sorry, litter trays do smell and I can't imagine what it must be like with 11 indoor cats - the owners may become immune to the smell but it 'hits' visitors as they enter the house.

I shall be pleased when my Millie starts toileting outside again like my other 2 cats.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Cost is one issue but some of us don't particularly like smelly litter trays in our homes, we may tolerate them because we have to but they can look unsightly and take up space in compact homes. They also take time to clean and replenish properly and time can be a premium for many of us - I leave my house at 7am and do not get home until nearly 10pm on the days I am working. I live on my own. I know people say they clean up mess immediately but what about those people, like me, who work long hours only to come home to smelly trays? Owners of indoor cats invariably accuse us of being 'lazy' but I don't beIieve it is lazy to work. I have a hooded tray and use good quality litter but I'm sorry, litter trays do smell and I can't imagine what it must be like with 11 indoor cats - the owners may become immune to the smell but it 'hits' visitors as they enter the house.

I shall be pleased when my Millie starts toileting outside again like my other 2 cats.

not smelly at all if cleaned twice, three times daily which it is possible to do whilst working and running a house and looking after kids, lazy equates to having an easier option which letting the cat out is otherwise you have to put the effort in regardless of what else you have on.

One cat in general is probably two pees and one poo a day hardly a lot to clean up after
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    not smelly at all if cleaned twice, three times daily which it is possible to do whilst working and running a house and looking after kids, lazy equates to having an easier option which letting the cat out is otherwise you have to put the effort in regardless of what else you have on.

One cat in general is probably two pees and one poo a day hardly a lot to clean up after

How do you suggest I clean the tray 3 times daily if I am at work from 7am to 10pm :confused: Some of us do work incredibly long hours - I'm a nurse in the NHS - and my hours are why I chose cats as pets in the first place. I don't know why letting a cat out is the easier option because I still need to clean up after them in the garden plus keep the floors and soft furnishings clean from their muddy paws. I would prefer not to have a smelly litter tray but I accept that, at the moment, one of my cats needs to use one.

I put a lot of effort into caring for my cats but my job must always come first (unless my cats were ill in which case I would take time off work).

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't like litter trays, for the reasons I have already explained, but I refuse to accept it's because I am 'lazy' because that is one adjective that can never be applied to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geowitch wrote: »
    My two girls are now 5 and a half months old and i feel it is time that they started eliminating outside as we live in the country with a largish garden which they spend time in. I've had kittens before and it was little problem but Polly and Maisie are very attached to their litter tray!. I tried moving it to close by the back door but twice there have been little piles of poo where it used to be. Do I carry on trying to get them to go outside or give in for the sake of having clean cats? Maybe when it is warmer the problem will disappear.

My last cat she died about 13 months ago used a litter tray for 23 years. she always came into the house even in summer to use it. In my opinion it is the best way to monitor your cat's health and it doesn't upset the neighbours who don't like cat poo in their veg or flower gardens.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My last cat she died about 13 months ago used a litter tray for 23 years. she always came into the house even in summer to use it. In my opinion it is the best way to monitor your cat's health and it doesn't upset the neighbours who don't like cat poo in their veg or flower gardens.

Good point - how else will you spot tapeworm? And we shouldn't dimiss our non-cat owning neighbours' right to a shite free garden.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    How do you suggest I clean the tray 3 times daily if I am at work from 7am to 10pm :confused: Some of us do work incredibly long hours - I'm a nurse in the NHS - and my hours are why I chose cats as pets in the first place. I don't know why letting a cat out is the easier option because I still need to clean up after them in the garden plus keep the floors and soft furnishings clean from their muddy paws. I would prefer not to have a smelly litter tray but I accept that, at the moment, one of my cats needs to use one.

I put a lot of effort into caring for my cats but my job must always come first (unless my cats were ill in which case I would take time off work).

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't like litter trays, for the reasons I have already explained, but I refuse to accept it's because I am 'lazy' because that is one adjective that can never be applied to me.

I didnt say you could clean yours two to three times a day however i could say that you were implying my house or my aunts smelt which it certainly doesnt, am sure some peopls houses with litter trays do, just as i am implying some people with cats are lazy doesnt necessarily mean you are but feel free to get defensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there are actually cat owners who deliberately encourage their cats to crap outdoor :eek:

Are you sure that your cats only make their business in your garden and not the neighbour's.
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    MissLola wrote: »
    So there are actually cat owners who deliberately encourage their cats to crap outdoor :eek:

Are you sure that your cats only make their business in your garden and not the neighbour's.

Our nearest neighbour is 100m away on one side otherwise we are surrounded by fields. In that case, yes, I will encourage my cats to go outside. If i lived in an urban area i might think differently.