Options

Wanted Down Under

Comments

• Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Depending on what you like to do, there aren't many National Trust type properties there and there are no recognisable seasons. Live by the coast and you will want a boat just to break the tedium once the initial beauty shock has worn off.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather a no-brainer today - I've been shocked at how much more some trades like chippies and the lorry driver can make down under.
    One thing that did occur to me though, presumably in Wales they benefited a lot from having family around for child-minding - that would be an extra expense if they moved? Mind you even with that they would still be quids in.:)
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    The hours that they work and the brutal conditions in high summer need to be taken into account, the houses that are affordable and nice are out of the cities generally and the travel to and fro is never covered.

Driving on the Aussie "motorways" must also be experienced to be believed.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I saw a bit of this this morning. They wanted to spend more time together as a family (as they always do) and enjoyed the day out because they were all together. The younger son thought it would be great in Australia because he go surfing with his elder brother. But... the elder son was 18 and working, therefore he couldn't go on the family visa and would need his own, but his job wasn't one that would entitle him to a visa so he couldn't go unless he left work and went back to college, which he didn't want to do so wouldn't be going with them (and the update on the BBC website says he didn't go with them). So much for spending time together as a family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised they were only going to be £24 a month better off - usually they're quids in!
    Not surprised the older lad stayed - at 19 he'd be leaving home pretty soon anyway (I did at 18). Did think his mum very overbearing, but maybe that's just her way and they're used to it.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see todays show?
    My sky box missed it so will have to get it of iplayer later.
    Or must have forgot to set it to record.
    But have put tomorrows one in the planner.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are fooling themselves. Many years ago I knew a few people who emigrated to make a "better life" and they did because back then you could getter a nice house, maybe with a pool, earn more money and have a good standard of living plus good weather but now that is no longer true. Everything is just as expensive as here if not more so and you have to work as hard so it's not like a holiday as some people seem to thunk it will be. I always feel sorry for the families left behind, particularly grandparents who don't get to see their grandchildren grow.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patricia50 wrote: »
    I think people are fooling themselves. Many years ago I knew a few people who emigrated to make a "better life" and they did because back then you could getter a nice house, maybe with a pool, earn more money and have a good standard of living plus good weather but now that is no longer true. Everything is just as expensive as here if not more so and you have to work as hard so it's not like a holiday as some people seem to thunk it will be. I always feel sorry for the families left behind, particularly grandparents who don't get to see their grandchildren grow.

I feel sorry for them too patricia. Family is the most important thing in our lives (or it is to me anyway) and its sad for the children who dont grow up with their grandparents around them too.

Every single one I watch they say they want more 'family time' so they go and have a day out together, hey presto! Australia is wonderful because you have more family time. Do these people not realise they will still have to go to work/school? They will still have bills to pay etc etc and all without the support of their families.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap my Sky HD box messed up again and only recorded todays one in sd so again will watch from iplayer tomorrow in HD.
    Hopefully it will get it right tomorrow and record on channel 141.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap my Sky HD box messed up again and only recorded todays one in sd so again will watch from iplayer tomorrow in HD.
    Hopefully it will get it right tomorrow and record on channel 141.

Oh the humility of having to watch reality TV in SD.
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have started to watch the new series, I just wish at the end of each episode they would tell us if they actually ended up emigrating or stayed in UK! We generally get "we wish them all the luck in whatever they decide!"
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Sally77 wrote: »
    I have started to watch the new series, I just wish at the end of each episode they would tell us if they actually ended up emigrating or stayed in UK! We generally get "we wish them all the luck in whatever they decide!"

As announced at the end of every show, if you go to the "Wanted Down Under" website you can read online what the particular family decided to do in the end;

http://bbc.co.uk/wanteddownunder
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    As announced at the end of every show, if you go to the "Wanted Down Under" website you can read online what the particular family decided to do in the end;

http://bbc.co.uk/wanteddownunder

Thank you! - Sorry as soon as its finished and Nicky Chapman is talking I turn it off so never knew they had this on their website! Will check it out from now on.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    It's all a dream really. When we are all here in UK's winter and see programmes like this we all think how lovely it all looks but the reality is that these families, in the main, are fooling themselves. They all have to work hard and like us will not be spending all their time sipping wine on the terrace or going to the beach. They all have to graft, kids go to school and other than their vicinity and towns/cities there is bugger all else to do or go to that doesn't involve great distances.
    I have a weather App on my phone and look at various Australian cities temperatures and I don't know whether I could stand day after day of Perth's Summer temperatures unless I could walk around in an air-conditioned space suit.
  • Options
    MeridaMerida Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patricia50 wrote: »

I completely agree with this. I just can't figure out how having a pool in the back garden can make up for losing that family contact.

I remember one family who said they wanted to move so the children could have a more outdoor lifestyle. They lived in Cornwall! If they can't find an "outdoor lifestyle" living in Cornwall then they'll never find it in Australia either.

I see today's family have never set foot in NZ yet he's obsessed about moving there. I just don't understand this mentality at all.
  • Options
    Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Todays show is a farce, the wife has instantly changed her mind based on the housing.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the obsession with Australia at all... it's a cultural and historical waste land, every animal and insect can kill you, and that's if the heat waves and massive bushfires don't get you first. The only advantage I suppose is the common language.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this show is downright traitorous.
  • Options
    MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this show is downright traitorous.

Why is it traitorous?
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people on this show always say that living in Australia will give them more time with their family. No one on the show ever explains where this extra time is coming from, does Australia have more than 24 hours in their days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    The people on this show always say that living in Australia will give them more time with their family. No one on the show ever explains where this extra time is coming from, does Australia have more than 24 hours in their days?

'Cos thats what teenagers just love - hanging out with their parents:D
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how much time the husband had spent researching the internet and hadn't realised he'd need a degree to get the job he wanted. The reality did not match his fantasy.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    'Cos thats what teenagers just love - hanging out with their parents:D

Exactly:D my children are always telling me to go away if I spend too much time with them:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe how much time the husband had spent researching the internet and hadn't realised he'd need a degree to get the job he wanted. The reality did not match his fantasy.

Coupled with the unexpected high cost of living, it makes me wonder wether he really was "researching New Zealand" all those hours he was surfing t'internet;-)