Options

Do you get Christmas begging phonecalls/letters in your family?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just come home to an answerphone message from one of my husband's sister's kids (with mother in law whispering to her what to say in the background :rolleyes:) wanting to know if we were going to buy her a Christmas present because if so she wants a... *name of something costing £80*.

We stopped buying gifts for the individual kids in the family several years ago because we were sick of getting shopping lists and then complaints afterwards if they didn't like whatever we had bought even though it was on the list. Who complains about a gift FFS? :mad: The last straw was one of the kids telling us that we had to get her the most expensive thing on her list because "mummy says you're rich".

So instead for the last few years we have bought family gifts for those with children - hampers with games, DVDs, sweets or whatever.

So why they have decided that this year they will try and emotionally blackmail us into doing otherwise, I don't know. We haven't even had a Christmas present or even a card from this family for the last 2 years, so where they get the ****s from to do this, I have no idea.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    What a cheek. They would be getting bugger all from me, not even a card. Use the money to treat yourselves instead.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    It's where to draw the line these days. Both parents have gone on to remarry partners with kids, some which have their own kids.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How rude of them! I wouldn't buy them anything or if I did, I would buy them some elephant faecal matter or something like that for the roses and teach them a lesson in biodiversity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you live with me, you're my brother, my sister or my parents, you get nothing from me.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never tell them if u win the lotto lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the validation. It is rude of them.

My in-laws are rude though. We took father and mother in law on an all expenses paid trip to Europe for a milestone birthday and all they did was moan that Sister in law wasn't with them. Obviously their son (my hubby) wasn't good enough.

Bah humbug.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never tell them if u win the lotto lol

I don't play but I do have premium bonds. I would never tell them, they would feel so entitled lol!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rockville wrote: »

My in-laws are rude though. We took father and mother in law on an all expenses paid trip to Europe for a milestone birthday and all they did was moan that Sister in law wasn't with them. Obviously their son (my hubby) wasn't good enough.

Bah humbug.

Don't bother in future they obviously take you for granted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well hubby listened to the message and isn't happy :eek:

He too suggests that we splash out on ourselves instead on ungrateful ****s.

(His annoyance is compounded by his mother telling him recently that he was "lucky" to have a good job and a nice house blah blah blah when his sister (left school without qualifications, never had a full-time job, has various children by various fathers) hasn't got much... He's not "lucky". He slogged it out at uni - the first person in his family ever to go - and we lived on next to nothing for the next 4 or 5 years whilst we paid off our student debts. Then scrimped to save a deposit, then bought our house and have a mortgage to pay. They seem to have conveniently forgotten all that :rolleyes:. Lucky? Pah!)
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    They would get nothing from me, how rude.
  • Options
    Sam WalkerSam Walker Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Sod them. You worked hard to get where you are, spend it on yourselves.
  • Options
    metal boxmetal box Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is rude :(

It can get quite complicated with ever growing families and different incomes. Our family have fell into a tradition where all the adults (over 18) do a secret santa, and we all then just buy for the younger ones with a limit of £15 or so. With nieces and nephews ranging from the ages of 2 to 28 it does work really well.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Outrageous!! I'd stop contact with them altogether!!
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I have never received a begging letter in my life. What type of things do they say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    No, I have never received a begging letter in my life. What type of things do they say?

They mostly do phonecalls - that way if they have asked to borrow money they can conveniently forget as there was nothing written down. We learned that lesson the hard way.

Letterwise, we had a mail from hubby's younger sister a couple of years ago asking for a laptop. She said that her boyfriend had walked out and taken the laptop they had bought and the printer we had given her (when we bought a new one) so when we bought new laptops could she have our old ones and when would that be!

Thing is, this sister has a job, she could buy her own (she did in the end, our machines are still going strong) but it is just the mentality of that family. The other sister's children used to send Christmas lists of what they wanted and even before they could write they just cut pictures out of catalogues and stuck them on a page and sent those :( Give and inch and they take a mile and they truly believe that their brother should give them stuff because he earns more. Weird!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a liberty. :eek: They should be damned pleased with whatever YOU decide to get them.

Do they consider you to be the 'Rothschilds' wing of the family?

Buy them a fall-apart-in-two-hours gift from the 99p shop.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting behaviour. Tell them you're making a donation to charity, instead, for families who have nothing (even if you don't). Just remember Rockville, they are the ones with the bad attitude, not you. Give in now and you'll possibly have a lifetime of them doing this to you. When the sister's kids grow up, are they going to see you as a cash cow/ easy touch? If you invest anything in them, make sure it's something that will help to make them independent adults. If they fall out with you or cut off contact, is that going to be a problem? Best to confront it and nail the problem now, uncomfortable as it may be, than have festering anger and resentment spanning years.

Maybe mum-in-law is more protective of the sister(s)-in-law as, rightly or wrongly, she sees your hubby as able to stand on his feet and strong, whereas the daughter(s) are more needy. Doesn't make it right, though.

You don't owe anyone an explanation but it might help to set out what you are going to do and the reasoning behind it. As has been said, gifts are gifts. We don't always like the gifts we receive but, for the most part, we can have a joke about it and appreciate the fact that someone made the effort. If other members of the family are raising their kids to expect expensive gifts to the point of dictating what they want to extended family members (WTF?), then they are setting themselves up for a lifetime of trouble, which they'll bring upon themselves- nothing to do with you.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not right to receive begging phone calls or letters from relatives. I have jealous family members like that who are on a low income. My cousin's kids live in a dirty, messy house in a bad area and are constantly asking family members for money. After I was asked for money a few times I cut my cousin and her husband out of my life I never see them. I see their children at my grandparents every Tuesday without their parents.

Last Christmas the wee boy desperately wanted a batcave to play with and was so disappointed for months. Me and my mum decided to surprise him as a one off for his birthday and it was worth it to see the smile on his face. My cousin or her husband never thanked us they never did for anything it does not matter because the wee boy did.

It is easy to feel emotionally blackmailed into giving gifts when children are involved but just because you can buy something as a gift does not mean you should. A lot of adults and children are spoiled and selfish and not grateful for the gifts they receive. There is too much pressure on people to buy nice gifts especially at Christmas.

This year I have asked for a Lego Horizon Express train kit that I have wanted for months and will be very grateful for it and let my parents know how much I appreciate it.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

Bah humbug.
    Sounds to me as if they have developed a sense of entitlement to your money, and are getting annoyed that you don't share their ,understandable view,in their eyes, that you should share your money with the family, they are probably even angry with you now.They must see your money as family money that you happen to have control of,lol.

Just send them a card with some kisses on the bottom and wish them a happy christmas...

Edited to add: just read daryls post, and that charity idea is a very good one, oxfam do a special christmas gift thing, where they send out an acknowledgement to the person you donate it for, or many of them do an adoption thing for animals, then the person gets a whole raft of things through the post in the form of certificates etc.
    That isn't a bad idea either.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the donation to charity's a good idea too. Preferably one of those where they send you (or rather your relatives) heart-rending pictures of the poverty in which the recipients live. Might (although it seems unlikely) make your greedy relatives count their blessings for a change!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As proviso back up the thread said, unless you're my mother, father or sister, you're not getting 'owt from me ;)

I do actually know someone who's brother in law often rings them on christmas or birthdays to inform them of their child's "list" and asking them what they'll be getting from it. Not "so-and-so would love <gift name> for their birthday if it's something you'd consider" but "will you be getting <expensive gift> or <even more expensive gift> for so-and-so?".

I think it should come down to whether or not you want to get them anything or if you feel you're getting them anything because of a case of having to as it'll keep the peace.

If you and hubby aren't worried about the fallout, i'd cut them off completely, present-wise. While it's a good idea, I think a charitable donation in their names would be as good as cutting them off though, considering their attitudes.

Either way, i'd still be inclined to let them know you won't be blackmailed or dictated to.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just come home to an answerphone message from one of my husband's sister's kids (with mother in law whispering to her what to say in the background :rolleyes:) wanting to know if we were going to buy her a Christmas present because if so she wants a... *name of something costing £80*.

We stopped buying gifts for the individual kids in the family several years ago because we were sick of getting shopping lists and then complaints afterwards if they didn't like whatever we had bought even though it was on the list. Who complains about a gift FFS? :mad: The last straw was one of the kids telling us that we had to get her the most expensive thing on her list because "mummy says you're rich".

So instead for the last few years we have bought family gifts for those with children - hampers with games, DVDs, sweets or whatever.

So why they have decided that this year they will try and emotionally blackmail us into doing otherwise, I don't know. We haven't even had a Christmas present or even a card from this family for the last 2 years, so where they get the ****s from to do this, I have no idea.

If I did, I'd purposely send nothing.

I truly can't abide the begging mentality.

As far as the above example, I might consider doing the same back, with somebody whispering in the background that you wanted a new car. Make it totally clear you regard their antics as a pisstake.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Tell them to eff off!! And while you are at it, tell them they need some sort of life learning that you don't ask people for gifts. .. Bloody cheek. They'd be getting nowt from me. ever.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister in law always calls me round her daughters birthday/ Xmas time and drops in the conversation something like 'I tell you what xxxx could do with..., she could really do with a (insert name of gift)'.

I just think to myself 'well, that's one thing xxxx isn't getting from me'.