Options

Sophie's disappointing tango

Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
Forum Member
✭✭✭
She's my fav yet her tango was not good. I'm very disappointed. I now think Abbey will win. >:( Sophie needs to pull it out the bag next week.

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked her tango
  • Options
    SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's my fav yet her tango was not good. I'm very disappointed. I now think Abbey will win. >:( Sophie needs to pull it out the bag next week.

That could be said every week that Sophie dances. The tango was just plain bad, what the heck was up with her hand. The one thing we have been shown since Strictly started is that in the tango the woman's free hand is tucked close to the man's armpit and should be palm down. Craig even made a big deal about it with Natalie. She didn't hold her top line and there was no staccato. Susanna's AT was bad, but Sophie's was just as bad for different reasons.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I agree. Its all those dances where she has to act a part thats very different from her natural self she just can't manage.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Unlike the judges, I really enjoyed both the tangos this week!
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. The judges have commented several times this series on Brendans choreography and I think that's an indication that he's enjoying the partnership and finding Sophie an inspiration.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it and choreography was great. She was a bit wobbly but she still gave a performance and brendan was unreal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *bump
  • Options
    musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I really liked her tango

me too she performed it well :)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good, choreography anyway.
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the mannequin was inspired and suited the emotional detachment that Sophie brings to each dance. It is only a shame that she couldn't keep that stability of frame throughout.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playing an aloof mannequin was exactly the part for Sophie and at least for stretches it came off well.
  • Options
    Sally Mander2Sally Mander2 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Choreography was great, the execution could have been better.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it even though it wasn't anywhere close to perfect and there wasn't really enough difference in tone for me. She got the mannequin impersonation down pat and I liked the story they were telling.
    But I have to agree with the judges, at times it looks like Brendan is dragging her through the ballroom hold simply because of the lack of tone/strength in her upper body to get the position right.
    I enjoy watching Sophie dance though and I've liked her partnership with Brendan who has, imo, produced some of his best choreography this year.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must say I have been very critical of Brendan all series but he really won me over last night.

The whole package was stunning.

Nice one Brendan.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it, and actuallly she herself gave more of a performance than she has usually done ( yes, even as a manaquin ) and seemed to enjoy it more.

I do like her, but sometimes she looks a bit in a different world, just going through the motions.

For me, that was just about her best dance since her charleston, helped on both occasions by great choreography by Brendan.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still waiting for Sophie to show the love of dancing. Either by committing to getting it right or by emotionally letting go.

At the moment she is too often dragged around by Brendan. Just so annoying that spark is still missing. Abbey for all her foot faults & gapping does at least appear to really enjoying things.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the routine was good Brendan just needs to sort that top line and Sophie just needs to show she enjoys it
  • Options
    sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed it, and actuallly she herself gave more of a performance than she has usually done ( yes, even as a manaquin ) and seemed to enjoy it more.

I do like her, but sometimes she looks a bit in a different world, just going through the motions.

For me, that was just about her best dance since her charleston, helped on both occasions by great choreography by Brendan.

I agree with that she gave more of a performance but not that she is 'going through the motions'. Her AT left a lasting impression which showed up Susanna & Kevin's effort and the Viennese Walse was stunning and made Abby's look merely O.K. I feel that Natalie has just been going through the motions since the week she drove herself too hard.

Susanna & Kevin have done one stand out dance - the paso - which overshadowed Natalie & Artem's. People are too willing to take on board the judges' harsh treatment of Sophie.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    bendymixer wrote: »
    the routine was good Brendan just needs to sort that top line and Sophie just needs to show she enjoys it

Need to sort it out soon - time is running out!

I
  • Options
    yenstonyenston Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that after her charleston this was her best dance by far. It was undermarked imo. The choreography was brilliant and I thought Sophie really played the part well. Then again maybe I just liked it because it played homage to that 80's classic film "Mannequin"!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    It wasn't the best although there was some entertainment value and her performance was up. Now, we need her to gnash and gurn a little more and she will win! ;)

The choreography was good but the music? OMG the music!
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a great tango, undermarked as always. Brendans choreography made it a unique memorable dance, and it will stick in the mind. The mannequin thing was a stroke of genius.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    It wasn't the best although there was some entertainment value and her performance was up. Now, we need her to gnash and gurn a little more and she will win! ;)

The choreography was good but the music? OMG the music!

Lol - I was thinking the same, bit of gurning (not too much!) couple of squeals here and there then a bit of jumping up and down when she gets anything over a seven

Guess it's completely out of character for her though :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    Lol - I was thinking the same, bit of gurning (not too much!) couple of squeals here and there then a bit of jumping up and down when she gets anything over a seven

Guess it's completely out of character for her though :(

And I think that is why I like her, she doesn't play the 'look at me' game, won't join the tango club and is reserved without being cold. She does express joy in certain dances she just doesn't shout about it, camera zone or try to play the public.

I'm not implying one other contestant does ALL these things, it's a mash up of the other three. :o
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really enjoy her tango. I thought the concept took over the dancing in both the tangos.