Options

Capital FM is coming to Wales

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
Forum Member
✭✭
Heart FM will still be staying but moving frequencies: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72330007

So what do you expect for the launch?

Comments

• Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I think the capital on 103 as a bilingual service will he excellent for the welsh music scene as was heart 103.

Heart being an English only service now on 107.2 (same coverage as 103) might find them more listeners again, possibly in work places. Real had a good following in public places around llyn peninsula areas due to the high volume of tourists.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Does not need to be moved. This chat is about the welsh service thanks. The other threads talk about capital and heart nationally..... Thank you mods
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the capital on 103 as a bilingual service will he excellent for the welsh music scene as was heart 103.

Heart being an English only service now on 107.2 (same coverage as 103) might find them more listeners again, possibly in work places. Real had a good following in public places around llyn peninsula areas due to the high volume of tourists.

Capital being a national brand will get the tourists in Wales listening.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    How about we discuss Capital North Wales and North West in this thread also? As there's nowhere to discuss it at the moment.

I'm looking forward to Capital. We had Heart and Real here already anyway and they are very similar so it'll be like we are gaining an entirely new station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I personally think both brands will do well. Heart isnt new in north wales, certainly the 96.3, 97.1 and 103.4 being heartatised years ago and sounding pretty good if u ask me. Better than marcher coast did anyhow. 103 HEART Cymru service has been 100 percent for welsh listeners and hope capital keep up the good work.

North Wales has been screaming out for a chart station.

We pick up city fm from Liverpool across most of the North Wales coast but sadly was never aimed at North Wales listeners. At last capital will be for North Wales and Chesire.
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital being a national brand will get the tourists in Wales listening.

Really!?
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Of all the changes, this is the one that's confusing me a bit. I gather Heart is switching with Capital as the latter covers a larger area, and they don't want the more important brand of Heart to be landed with the Welsh broadcasting requirement. But surely most people listen to a frequency by habit, and won't be following the travails of this on a daily basis.

To give you an example, after weeks of "The heart of Scotland, Real Radio", on the first day the Real Radio name wasn't mentioned in Scotland people said they couldn't find the station. How are they handling directing people to the right station in Wales? Is it a case of "Capital is coming to this frequency, Heart is moving to that one" on a constant basis? Presumably the more traditional "Heart is coming" is playing out on the Real frequencies.
  • Options
    thelemthelem Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen it's just "Capital is coming", no mention of Heart still being available on a different frequency. There is a brief mention at the bottom of the Capital is coming webpage: http://www.heart.co.uk/walescoast/on-air/capital-is-coming/
  • Options
    gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thelem wrote: »
    From what I've seen it's just "Capital is coming", no mention of Heart still being available on a different frequency. There is a brief mention at the bottom of the Capital is coming webpage: http://www.heart.co.uk/walescoast/on-air/capital-is-coming/

If they programme the RDS properly, surely they could pull most car radios over to the new frequencies when they switch PI codes around launch day.

It'll be interesting to see whether they do any Heart signposts to the new station, post Capital launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would imagine that capital will promote were heart has gone for a few days during the ads? Id like to hope so..
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capital FM is coming to Wales?? It's been here for a few years now!
    Or don't you consider Cardiff and Newport to be in Wales? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I mean other parts of Wales.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK I mean other parts of Wales.

No problem :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly 103 fm doesnt go that far into wales after porthmadog on the a470 but u can receive it clear as a bell in Aberystwyth ! University students will be happy.
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any thoughts on the tagline?
    "North Wales and The North West's #1 Hit Music Station" is a bit of a mouthful...
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    "North Wales and The North West's #1 Hit Music Station" is a bit of a mouthful...

Agreed personally think " The North West and Wales number one hit music station" is better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say UK No 1 Hit Music Station as that what it is anyway.
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say UK No 1 Hit Music Station as that what it is anyway.

The North Wales No.1 Hit Music Station (considering that it's both stations broadcast on DAB; currently as Heart Cymru and Wales). Similar to how they've called XFM 'Glasgow' XFM Scotland.. If it's on DAB, then they'll get away with using the name of the region instead of the name of the area where the FM broadcast is available.
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    radiodad wrote: »
    Agreed personally think " The North West and Wales number one hit music station" is better
    Would they include the North West bit in the branding?
    The only English bit is the Wirral, it'd be a bit far fetched using that as a reason to call it "the North West's No 1 Hit Music Station" or whatever, unless they used the same branding on the Manchester station maybe?
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    The only English bit is the Wirral, it'd be a bit far fetched using that as a reason to call it "the North West's No 1 Hit Music Station" or whatever, unless they used the same branding on the Manchester station maybe?

They do cover a fair bit of Cheshire as well, not just the Wirral. The Global websites refer to the station as covering the North West and Wales, so assumedly that will be what they use on air. MFM used to refer to themselves as covering the North West and North Wales, so its nothing new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting to see how they fill their quota of Welsh language music in the playlist to match the "sound" of Capital. As I've said before in another thread, in general terms, the majority of Welsh artists music would tend to suit the playlists of either Heart and Smooth, or XFM, Absolute etc. Don't get me wrong, there are some artists out there that whose music would suit Capital but not as many as the other genres, therefore the choice of artist could be quite limited. As I've said before, maybe a flip to a Smooth format might have been better for that area of North Wales as at least that format would've made artists from previous decades available to the playlist.

As I say, it will be interesting to see how Capital works in that area of North Wales and how it goes down with the local listeners, especially when you consider how many listeners Capital lost in South Wales when it replaced Red Dragon.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    paulx23 wrote: »

The 97.1 transmitter is in Wirral but it does cover a much bigger area than that.

I know someone commented on here recently that 97.1 doesn't sound good somehow. Well I think it sounds great at the moment with the Heart processing. Will be interesting to hear what it sounds like when Capital starts.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    The 97.1 transmitter is in Wirral but it does cover a much bigger area than that.

Here's some official info about the Storeton transmitter which may clear up some of the issues about the 97.1 coverage from that site.

The maximum signal is beamed in a Southwest direction from Storeton towards the River Dee (officially, it serves Deeside not Wirral). The signal is nulled by up to 22dB towards the North (Liverpool, Birkenhead) and North-Northeast, reducing the signal strength in much of Merseyside. This explains why the signal is great in Flintshire but weak much closer to the TX in Birkenhead.

Source: Ofcom Tech Parameters.