Options

Ed Sheeran - who he?

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not, innately, the type of girl who has to be au fait with the latest gossip, rumours and wannabes or, fundamentally, any 'celebrity' - and this is quite often a misnomer - news. There are, consequently, lots of 'names' I am absolutely not familiar with, for example Rosie Huntington Whitely, Cher Lloyd and Ed Sheeran. Who is this guy, and what does he do? Is he famous and, more importantly, should he be famous?
I'm the same with music - and I grew up in the 70s, so am not ancient, but music meant something then - I couldn't tell you who sings what these days. I am currently listening to 60s/70s music, some 80s and, my new favourite, Nicola Benedetti.
It seems anyone can become a celebrity, for any reason. I don't read magazines but, a girl at work often buys Hello, and when I flick through it, I don't know who the majority of the people are.

Comments

• Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not having a dig, but it's pretty easy in the days of the interweb to google people.
  • Options
    Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the flavour of the month. his mug is everywhere at the moment, hopefully will disappear in a few years a la James Blunt
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a musician who has been round for a few years already. I really like him and his music and he seems to have taken off internationally over the past year or two.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the most important and influential man in the British black music scene according to the BBC :confused:
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red22 wrote: »
    He's the flavour of the month. his mug is everywhere at the moment, hopefully will disappear in a few years a la James Blunt

He's been "flavour of the month" for a few years now. The album he released in 2011 achieved huge success.

To be fair, Sheeran deserves his success. He's obviously a very talented man who works really hard for his music. He's a multi-instrumentalist who writes all his own songs, and also works an insane number of shows. On top of that, he seems like a legitimately nice bloke.

His music might not be to everyone's taste, but he deserves him success. Not like a lot of these other artists who get fame handed to them on a silver platter and then proceed to behave like a tosser.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he works at asda stacking the shelves
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    He's an acoustic singer. Not my kind of music to be honest, but whatever floats your goat I guess. I don't really know much else about him.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I am not, innately, the type of girl who has to be au fait with the latest gossip, rumours and wannabes or, fundamentally, any 'celebrity' - and this is quite often a misnomer - news. There are, consequently, lots of 'names' I am absolutely not familiar with, for example Rosie Huntington Whitely, Cher Lloyd and Ed Sheeran. Who is this guy, and what does he do? Is he famous and, more importantly, should he be famous?
    I'm the same with music - and I grew up in the 70s, so am not ancient, but music meant something then - I couldn't tell you who sings what these days. I am currently listening to 60s/70s music, some 80s and, my new favourite, Nicola Benedetti.
    It seems anyone can become a celebrity, for any reason. I don't read magazines but, a girl at work often buys Hello, and when I flick through it, I don't know who the majority of the people are.
    I quite agree with you .. but in Ed's case .. sheer talent has got him there. So .. yes .. he definitely SHOULD be famous. It may or may not be your type of music but he is worthy of the hype imo.
    Check him out on YouTube .. he's a songwriter and musician (and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the others you've listed :D)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOwsttzkUgs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mllXxyHTzfg
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    He's been "flavour of the month" for a few years now. The album he released in 2011 achieved huge success.

To be fair, Sheeran deserves his success. He's obviously a very talented man who works really hard for his music. He's a multi-instrumentalist who writes all his own songs, and also works an insane number of shows. On top of that, he seems like a legitimately nice bloke.

His music might not be to everyone's taste, but he deserves him success. Not like a lot of these other artists who get fame handed to them on a silver platter and then proceed to behave like a tosser.

Yes, I agree with that.

I find his music bland, dull and totally snoozeworthy, but I do recognise that he writes his own songs and works hard. He is phenomenally successful and has a very loyal fan base. He does also seem genuinely nice and humble so fair play.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad haired ginger gonk with rubbish tattoos
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    I quite agree with you .. but in Ed's case .. sheer talent has got him there. So .. yes .. he definitely SHOULD be famous. It may or may not be your type of music but he is worthy of the hype imo.
    Check him out on YouTube .. he's a songwriter and musician (and should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the others you've listed :D)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOwsttzkUgs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mllXxyHTzfg

Agreed. Very much so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He Ed.
    You google.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    He's a musician who has been round for a few years already. I really like him and his music and he seems to have taken off internationally over the past year or two.

Yep he's worked his way up from playing to a handful of people in a pub when he was a teenager, sofa surfing, learning his craft, writing songs with beautiful lyrics that resonated with people. He deserves his success (latest album No1 in 65 countries including the US). He's incredibly talented
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last. somebody on the same wavelength as me. What is he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ways to find out are plentiful - Google, Wikipedia, newspapers, websites, reading the replies on a thread answering that very question before inanely asking it again...
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's a human male.

Ed has been around a few years now and although I didn't really take notice when he released his first album, I have taken notice this time. I liked the lead single, "Sing" a lot.
    He also seems a nice guy too from what I've seen in interviews and gossip.

As for not knowing who is he, surely a search on the internet for him would help and then sample his work on iTunes or similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Alan Lilly - Who he?
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you also not familiar with Google or Wikipedia? It would have been a lot quicker and maybe YouTube him whilst you're at it. He's a good singer. Get with the times lol, it keeps you young. That's why I like my mum and dad and can relax around them; same with my grandma. They know about culture and listen to music channels and the radio, they can relate to young people. Just because songs are new doesn't make them not worth listening to. I can't stand it when people have no idea what things are. This is going to come across rude, so I apologise in advance, but you remind me of those teachers at school who are probably only 40 but look 60 and wear dowdy clothes and act old fashioned. I hope you're not :D very judgemental but that is the truth ^_^

Also, I think you mean 'who is he' not 'who he' :)
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's blatantly obvious that you started this thread in an attempt to demonstrate how cultured and sophisticated you are, rather than to inquire about who Ed Sheeran is. You could have quite easily Googled him if you were really so interested as to find out who he is and what he does (although I have a sneaking suspicion you knew who he is before you made this thread.) But if you'd done that you would have missed out on the opportunity to show everyone just how socially and intellectually superior you are by listening to older music which had integrity instead of all this dumbed down rubbish which people less intelligent than you listen to today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    He's the British version of Taylor Swift lol

Whenever he comes on radio, keep thinking it's Justin Timberlake. He is beginning to sound more American to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    It's blatantly obvious that you started this thread in an attempt to demonstrate how cultured and sophisticated you are, rather than to inquire about who Ed Sheeran is. You could have quite easily Googled him if you were really so interested as to find out who he is and what he does (although I have a sneaking suspicion you knew who he is before you made this thread.) But if you'd done that you would have missed out on the opportunity to show everyone just how socially and intellectually superior you are by listening to older music which had integrity instead of all this dumbed down rubbish which people less intelligent than you listen to today.

It puzzles me why some posters think claiming ignorance of someone or something makes them look cool, or somehow above people who do have some knowledge about the subject in question.

It doesn't. It makes you look like you don't know how to use a search engine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Search engine - who he?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    Search engine - who he?

:D:D:D
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree with that.

I find his music bland, dull and totally snoozeworthy, but I do recognise that he writes his own songs and works hard. He is phenomenally successful and has a very loyal fan base. He does also seem genuinely nice and humble so fair play.

This. ^^
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    Yep he's worked his way up from playing to a handful of people in a pub when he was a teenager, sofa surfing, learning his craft, writing songs with beautiful lyrics that resonated with people. He deserves his success (latest album No1 in 65 countries including the US). He's incredibly talented
    This ^
    He would play at house parties as long as his travel was covered. Word of mouth was a huge help for him and once that word got on t'internet he was off and running. Plus (see what I did there) once success started and his first album was released he remembered people who had helped him out in the early days with bookings etc and invited them to the launch. Comes over as hard working, talented and not "starry".