Not able to get 3 year senior citizen railcard

THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
Forum Member
My present annual senior citizens railcard is due to expire in August and I decided I would apply online to get a 3 year senior citizens railcard as you can only apply for a 3 year railcard online and it worked out that you save £20 in total on an annual railcard. But when you apply I find you've got to have as proof of identity of your age is a valid UK passport or a UK driving licence. But I don't have a passport and I've never driven a motor vehicle, so it seems I can't apply for a 3 year senior citizens railcard to save money over a 3 year period and it also protects you for 3 years any rise on the railcard which does rise every year. Why they can't accept other forms of identity to prove your age, I just don't know. So I'm going to have to go to the railway station to renew my annual railcard there, as the website dos'nt even allow you to renew an annual railcard online without either a UK passport or UK driving licence.
Ian.

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Senior railcard FAQ - Do I need to prove my eligibilty again if I am applying online?
    Not if you already hold a Senior Railcard that was issued by our online service.

If your current Railcard was issued at a rail station then you will need to give either a passport or driving licence number. You can do this by setting up an account by registering online and then following steps to link your station Railcard with the account.

No good. However ...

Senior railcard FAQ - How can I renew my station-purchased Railcard online?
    You can renew your station-purchased Railcard within 30 days of its expiry date. Go to the homepage and click on the "Login and Manage your Account" button. From here you will be given the opportunity to "Register Your Railcard". Once you have completed this you will be given the option to renew your Railcard.

It will probably allow you to enter the number on your existing card to demonstrate eligibility.

I wonder if you could register your existing railcard then renew to a 3 year one, without having to prove your age?

Or you may be able to renew online, for a 1 year card, then get the 3 year next year.

But would that work or is it still going to want the proof to even link your station bought card?

There's always Senior railcard - Contact us
    Contact us
    If you need to get in touch we’re open from 0700hrs to 2200hrs every day of the year except for Christmas Day. You can also check our interactive Frequently Asked Questions for the answer to your enquiry. You can:

Email us Using the Message Box below

Call us on 0345 3000 250

Send a letter to
    National Railcards
    PO BOX 11638
    LAURENCEKIRK
    AB30 9AJ

A human might be more flexible, perhaps using the electoral roll to verify your entitlement.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can renew your station-purchased Railcard within 30 days of its expiry date. Go to the homepage and click on the "Login and Manage your Account" button. From here you will be given the opportunity to "Register Your Railcard". Once you have completed this you will be given the option to renew your Railcard.

from above

problem with this is you need to "Login and Manage your Account"

and guess how you get an account, by proving your identity with a passport or driving license
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    from above

and guess how you get an account, by proving your identity with a passport or driving license

Other organisations have so many other ways of proving you identity and Age. But not Network Rail.
    Ian.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Organisations up and down the land are setting abitrary, arduous and overzealous requirements for ID.

My passport is refused because it expired last year.
    My paper driving licence is valid til 2033 but does not have a photo and so is not acceptable.
    My NHS card does not have a photo.
    My original birth certificate does not have a photo.
    My National Insurance Photocard is not accepted by anybody.

Utility bills, bank statements, credit and debit cards being on the electoral register are only supporting evidence.

I have 'gotten away with it' so far. But people are sucking their cheeks in and making me feel like I owe them when they agree to accept multiple proofs of my identity, even when it doesn't strictly meet their rules.

Also note that one organisation's rules are different from another.
    Sometimes I have no problem whatsoever, other times I almost have to beg for an exception.

It's ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    from above

THOMO wrote: »
    Other organisations have so many other ways of proving you identity and Age. But not Network Rail.
    Ian.

Which is why I added the last bit with the phone number.
    nanscombe wrote: »
    A human might be more flexible, perhaps using the electoral roll to verify your entitlement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is most likely because using your Driving License or Passport the system can automatically verify your age against a government database without the need for anyone to check it.

There is no other form of ID which would work in the same way. Which is why the alternative is to go to a train station where a person can verify your identity based on any other document you provide.

The discount for the online only 3 year rail card reflects the lower overheads in managing online applications :)

It's not all a big conspiracy, it's just good commercial practice based on the data / technology that Network Rail has access to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spotted something else earlier too.

Tendring District Council - Apply for a Senior Railcard
    What happens next?

Once you have a unique code from us, you can then apply to ATOC either via their website www.senior-railcard.co.uk or by phoning 08448 714036.

To check that you are eligible, you will need either a valid passport number or your driving licence with you when you contact them, as well as your unique code. If you do not have either or these forms of identification, they will check your eligibility against the electoral register.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not having a passport or a driving licence can make you feel like a bit of a non-person.

My worst time in this respect was just after my house burned down. I came out of hospital and really did need some money. The insurance company gave us an immediate payment, since we had no possessions, into our bank account. Since I had no debit card or cheque books, the bank said we could only draw money by turning up with a passport or driving licence.

In the end I managed to obtain a lavish £150 by the time-honoured method of turning up swathed in bandages and weeping uncontrollably at the counter. :blush:
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Organisations up and down the land are setting abitrary, arduous and overzealous requirements for ID.

My passport is refused because it expired last year.
    My paper driving licence is valid til 2033 but does not have a photo and so is not acceptable.
    My NHS card does not have a photo.
    My original birth certificate does not have a photo.
    My National Insurance Photocard is not accepted by anybody.

Utility bills, bank statements, credit and debit cards being on the electoral register are only supporting evidence.

I have 'gotten away with it' so far. But people are sucking their cheeks in and making me feel like I owe them when they agree to accept multiple proofs of my identity, even when it doesn't strictly meet their rules.

Also note that one organisation's rules are different from another.
    Sometimes I have no problem whatsoever, other times I almost have to beg for an exception.

It's ridiculous.

It's also extremely irritating. There's a virtual collective psychosis about ID provenance these days, and the only ones being put through numerous pointless hoops, are the genuine applicants. Massive overkill.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Which is why I added the last bit with the phone number.

Tried that, or at least my partner did last year, nothing doing.

Apparently everyone has a driving license these days, according to the "helpfull" person on the end of the phone.

Course if they simply issued the railcard and opened an online account when you where there in person the first time. After all you give them proof of ID and you enter your email address on the form which they enter into their terminal, so why can't they take the next step.

But no.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Get in touch with your MP Ian Mearns. Either by making an appointment for one of his surgeries: http://www.ianmearns.org.uk/surgery.htm although note you have missed the opportunity to see him this month, he's incommunicado in August and his next surgery is 5th September), or via this online form: http://www.ianmearns.org.uk/contact.htm

Just a thought but maybe also try Age UK or one of the national newspapers. Put the cat amongst the pigeons by applying for a provisional driving licence and see what happens. I believe a provisional photocard licence is as valid as a full photocard licence to verify identity.

It's a shame you didn't post a couple of months earlier as that would have given you more time to effect a solution. The bureaucrats are all in holiday mode now.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally whilst I admit it must be a hassle, what sort of ID do you want them to take?

As far as I can see the rules are what they are because realistically, and reasonable, little else securely proves your age.

Anything without a photo is of course useless, could be anybody.

It's not some sort of over zealous bureaucracy, it's common sense.

I haven't been abroad for about 6 years but I still keep an active passport at all times because it's bloody useful to have and at £70'ish for 10 years it's not exactly expensive.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Personally whilst I admit it must be a hassle, what sort of ID do you want them to take?

As far as I can see the rules are what they are because realistically, and reasonable, little else securely proves your age.

Anything without a photo is of course useless, could be anybody.

It's not some sort of over zealous bureaucracy, it's common sense.

I haven't been abroad for about 6 years but I still keep an active passport at all times because it's bloody useful to have and at £70'ish for 10 years it's not exactly expensive.

I'm alright is it Jack? Not only do we have stories about eat or heat for those on low incomes (thankfully it is summer now) but your solution is everyone should have a £72.50 passport+photos

Do you have any idea what it is like to be skint?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm alright is it Jack? Not only do we have stories about eat or heat for those on low incomes (thankfully it is summer now) but your solution is everyone should have a £72.50 passport+photos

Do you have any idea what it is like to be skint?

£72.50 per ten years, that's £7.25 per year if you divide it out.

I'm on a low income, certainly under the <15k a year mark, and I can afford a passport.

I just don't buy into your point. Passports aren't a luxury commodity. It's much cheaper to own a passport than a TV with yearly £145 TV licence, which even the poorest of the poor seem to have.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Just thinking about this a bit more, a birth or marriage certificate or a recent utility bill plus a certified photo (certified by your GP or solicitor or accountant) might be acceptable. You could ask them anyway.
  • MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never tried to get a network Rail Card, however I have got a job, bought and sold property, opened a bank account and changed GP all without photo ID, yet I am told due to various rules, immigration, money laundering etc I MUST have photo ID, I just explain that as there is NO legal requirement for me to have photo ID there can be NO legal requirement for me to produce photo ID, its worked so far.:)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can travel anywhere in the West mids conurbation free.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I can travel anywhere in the West mids conurbation free.

Giving your age away there.

You been paying your taxes OP?
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    How about a bus pass as ID, that has a photo on.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Never tried to get a network Rail Card, however I have got a job, bought and sold property, opened a bank account and changed GP all without photo ID, yet I am told due to various rules, immigration, money laundering etc I MUST have photo ID, I just explain that as there is NO legal requirement for me to have photo ID there can be NO legal requirement for me to produce photo ID, its worked so far.:)

When did you last buy a property? We are going through our mortgage at the moment and have to supply photo ID, and had to the last time 5 years ago too. What are they accepting if you dont have this?

Both our passports have expired and we are not going to go abroad (pets) so I am hoping that expired passports will be ok although we do both have driving licences too.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »

Very true, the uk government scrapped the idea of ID cards for every person of the uk, so there is no legal need to have to prove photo ID in the uk. As there has never been a law passed in parliment that all people of the uk MUST have photo ID. And i am the same as you dont drive or have a passport
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you not have a Senior Citizen bus pass? All the Scottish ones have your photo on them and are usually accepted for ID. (Put it this way, it's all I've ever used in the past few years - changing currency etc - even buying booze in the USA !)
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Do you not have a Senior Citizen bus pass? All the Scottish ones have your photo on them and are usually accepted for ID. (Put it this way, it's all I've ever used in the past few years - changing currency etc - even buying booze in the USA !)

Yes I have a senior citizens bus pass, but for some reason Network Rail say they can't accept that as ID online.
    Ian.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    £72.50 per ten years, that's £7.25 per year if you divide it out.

I'm on a low income, certainly under the <15k a year mark, and I can afford a passport.

I just don't buy into your point. Passports aren't a luxury commodity. It's much cheaper to own a passport than a TV with yearly £145 TV licence, which even the poorest of the poor seem to have.

How can you possibly 'divide out' the cost of a passport? If you need a passport you have to pay the lot, not £7.25 and a promise.
    Forum Member
    Why should I have to buy a passport when I don't plan to travel abroad. A TV Licence is required by law if you watch any TV channel at all, which I do enjoy.
    Ian.