Do You Find Those Dolls Offensive?

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I was young I found them more scary than offensive as they just looked strange. I wont say the word unless it does offend anyone on here. On Wikipedia I saw several incidents that the dolls have caused which are these.

Early 1980s - When they had to change a character in Noddy books to Mr Sparks.

2007 - Greater Manchester police sued a shop for selling the dolls.

2008 - A lady got arrested for keeping one of those dolls in her window in Stockport.

2009 - Carol Thatcher gets banned from The One show for saying that a tennis player was looking like the doll which most people may know about.

2011 - An incident involving a couple of local councilors takes place for using images of the dolls.

2013 - Most recent famous incident took place in Brighton where a man was defending a shop saying that the dolls are not offensive.

Those are the most famous incidents that have happened with the dolls that it tells you about. I have seen shops selling them in North Yorkshire and even them been in amusement machines on seafront yet not caused any trouble. I don't know how those people have got away with it if people find them offensive and raciest.

Comments

• jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you mean golliwogs?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh we've not had this debate in a while.
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite hard to be offended by something that many of us cherished as children. However, a golliwog is clearly a white man's caricature (parody?) of a black man, historically speaking if not now. As such, I can see why someone would find them offensive and think they are probably confined to museums and lofts.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of sounding "racist" the golliwogs in the enid Blyton were always nice/kind characters so I don't know what to say about them being offensive now. Wog is an offensive term but I find it hard to consider something I loved as a child offensive
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its like a painting of a black Jesus, can that be offensive or scary to some people?
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love Jim Davidsons "Chalky" when I was a lot younger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    It's quite hard to be offended by something that many of us cherished as children. However, a golliwog is clearly a white man's caricature (parody?) of a black man, historically speaking if not now. As such, I can see why someone would find them offensive and think they are probably confined to museums and lofts.

You can still buy the toys, I have seen them on sale. You're right that they are a caricature, much like Barbie is a caricature of a woman. I don't think that there is any malice intended by the dolls though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its like a painting of a black Jesus, can that be offensive or scary to some people?

I imagine the kkk would be offended.
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that there is any malice intended by the dolls though.

I'm sure there isn't now. I guess it's about what they represent historically though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    We used to play with our dolls around the fire whilst singing Al Jolson songs.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find them offensive as such ( but then I am white so that may be why I suppose so my opinion might be very different , ), I still have my Golly from when I was a kid and always just called him Golly and he was one of my favourites (he was in the spare room with other bits from childhood and my ex wife never had a problem with him and she is black )
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cabbage patch dolls were scarier
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly? I don't give a ****. Those belong to the past, along with Choppers, conkers and football ratchets. Such is life.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find them particularly offensive, but then I'm not black. I can see how others might find them offensive though.

That said, I think police involvement in the above cases is ridiculous. You can't expect other people to live their lives according to whether your feelings are hurt.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to play with our dolls around the fire whilst singing Al Jolson songs.

Ah but did you do that whilst watching the Black and White Minstrels? :D

Actually it is really hard to believe that was regarded as prime-time television on the BBC not so long ago.
    Forum Member
    Actually it is really hard to believe that was regarded as prime-time television on the BBC not so long ago.

I doubt if they would run repeats of this like they do Morecambe and Wise and The Two Ronnies, although I've recently heard they won't be screening old episodes of Jim'll Fix It or Animal Hospital ever again for some reason.
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I like Gollywogs. I'm aware of their racist connotations obviously. But for me personally they are not offensive or racist. I see them as nothing more than a cheerful cuddly toy.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the marmalade.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I personally don't think they're offensive. I just see them as toys. I've got one.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt if they would run repeats of this like they do Morecambe and Wise and The Two Ronnies, although I've recently heard they won't be screening old episodes of Jim'll Fix It or Animal Hospital ever again for some reason.

Speaking of the Two Ronnies, does this get repeated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXWjQvUy2AM
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think Lenny Henry would be happy if any of his episodes were featured.
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

I don't think any of us would be happy if Lenny Henry appeared on our TV screens full stop.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't find golliwogs offensive at all.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was young I found them more scary than offensive as they just looked strange. I wont say the word unless it does offend anyone on here. On Wikipedia I saw several incidents that the dolls have caused which are these.

Early 1980s - When they had to change a character in Noddy books to Mr Sparks.

2007 - Greater Manchester police sued a shop for selling the dolls.

2008 - A lady got arrested for keeping one of those dolls in her window in Stockport.

2009 - Carol Thatcher gets banned from The One show for saying that a tennis player was looking like the doll which most people may know about.

2011 - An incident involving a couple of local councilors takes place for using images of the dolls.

2013 - Most recent famous incident took place in Brighton where a man was defending a shop saying that the dolls are not offensive.

Those are the most famous incidents that have happened with the dolls that it tells you about. I have seen shops selling them in North Yorkshire and even them been in amusement machines on seafront yet not caused any trouble. I don't know how those people have got away with it if people find them offensive and raciest.

I personally don't find them offensive, but a lot of other people probably do.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

:D:D:D

What a talentless prat that man really is.