Why is Kate Lawler ashamed of winning Big Brother?

Comments

• big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    RenThraysk wrote: »

Clearly she still appreciates her roots then. Good on her for not continuing to ride of it's coattails, then again her own career is probably far credible than BB these days. I don't see why she should be expected to continue her 'connection' to the show? It was a long time ago and as said clearly holds no disdain for it, never seen her slag it off so don't see an issue.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From her website

She's also said this in a number of interviews, that she owes it all to the show. She doesn't live in London so it would not be easy for her to make it down. Oh and she works when BB is on, so I doubt she watches it. Nothing worse than someone coming on a spin-off show who doesn't watch. They just say whats prompted by the producers.

People move on, doesn't mean they're ashamed where they come from.

Agreed. She did the show, took advantage of the opportunities it gave her and has now moved on in her career. She's now in her mid 30's and probably a completely different person to who she was back then.
    How is what she's doing any different to any of us who may have had an old boss or someone who gave us a helping hand in our career years ago but we're no longer in contact with them? It doesn't mean anyone is ashamed of where they started out, just that their life is in a different place now
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Kate on BB, she seemed a natural person just being herself as opposed to the Geordie Shore/Towie type wannabes we get nowadays. She seems to have made a career for herself and moved on from the circus BB has become, good on her.
  • Cornish GirlCornish Girl Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can't win. If she went on BBBOTS every year, anyone who doesn't like her would moan about her cashing in on her win, saying she would go to the opening of an envelope etc. As it is, they just say she is ashamed or can't be bothered. Rock and a hard place come to mind!
  • DoggyphantDoggyphant Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember her cringey Keanu Reeves interview on Channel 4's RI:SE in 2003? He was doing interviews for the Matrix Sequels.

Her questions were along the lines of:
    "You're a Hollywood Film Star. Have you heard of Big Brother?"
    "I was in it."
    "You could say I did quite well"
    "I won it!"

It was as if she thought he'd be really impressed and fall for her but instead he just looked completely baffled by this strange woman boasting about winning a TV reality show he'd never heard of. She later slagged him off as a bad interviewee who only gave one word answers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RenThraysk wrote: »

:D Lol. Unlucky timing by the OP.

I am trying to remember what she said about UBB. It was something like that she would have done it if it had been a proper series. She was well out of that dogs' dinner anyway.

Now Jack Dee is your man. Ch 4 have said that they never show any clips from CBB1 because Jack Dee refuses to allow them to be shown. (It was on BBC, so they never owned the rights.) Bit of a shame really.
  • Karen_AnnaninaKaren_Annanina Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in e-mail contact for a while with one of the HMs on BB2 (Elizabeth) and she told me that Brian Dowling had been advised, for the sake of his future career, to keep away from former housemates and play down all connections with Big Brother.

I'm guessing that Kate is following the same advice.

In contrast to some of the bitter people who have posted above, I adored Kate. I actually CRIED when she won. I thought she was gorgeous (OK, I'm a lesbian - wanna make something of it?!) She was so naturally funny, and an amazing mimic. She actually did a radio show when she came out of the house, where the public requested her impressions of various people, and she was great!
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make me wonder why she never has been involved in any BB shows since winning I guess she must be ashamed of winning of BB and what she did in the house
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make me wonder why she never has been involved in any BB shows since winning I guess she must be ashamed of winning of BB and what she did in the house

Apart from sleb Hijack you mean and BBLB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doggyphant wrote: »
    Anyone remember her cringey Keanu Reeves interview on Channel 4's RI:SE in 2003? He was doing interviews for the Matrix Sequels.

"I was in it."
    "I won it!"

It was as if she thought he'd be really impressed and fall for her but instead he just looked completely baffled by this strange woman boasting about winning a TV reality show he'd never heard of. She later slagged him off as a bad interviewee who only gave one word answers.

Well I agree it was cringey. Which is about the only post about BB3 HMs you make that I don't find totally wrong. Alex was bitchy poisonous slime, along with Sandy and Adele, the real manipulators.

Yet Kate isn't the only person to slag off Reeve's as an interview, he's famously reticent. She's forged a career afterwards, so I'm not sure what this one interview 11 years ago has much to do with anything really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:confused: Did you actually look at any of the thread before posting in it?
  • FirewalkerFirewalker Posts: 2,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron doesnt go on BBOTS either

in fact loads of them don't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: Did you actually look at any of the thread before posting in it?

It's one of the great things in forumming isn't it? The entire post's being ignored, just to reply to the opening one:D

Kind of understandable when it's a long one, but this ones only 2 pages:o
  • bulldog rosiebulldog rosie Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Huge credit to her for not trying to cling on to BB with the desperation that so many people do who weren't even winners or all that interesting.

I'd massively distance myself from a bunch of fame hungry desperados that now represent the show too. Even if she came out and said she was embarrassed by it, seriously so what? I suppose it would be an excuse to bash an attractive woman with so I guess it fits.

She's carved out a successful career and doesn't feel the need to pander to a reality tv game show she was on years ago..

This is definitely to be admired, so fair play to her.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in e-mail contact for a while with one of the HMs on BB2 (Elizabeth) and she told me that Brian Dowling had been advised, for the sake of his future career, to keep away from former housemates and play down all connections with Big Brother.

I'm guessing that Kate is following the same advice.

In contrast to some of the bitter people who have posted above, I adored Kate. I actually CRIED when she won. I thought she was gorgeous (OK, I'm a lesbian - wanna make something of it?!) She was so naturally funny, and an amazing mimic. She actually did a radio show when she came out of the house, where the public requested her impressions of various people, and she was great!

I remember Elizabeth! I wonder what she's done now? She was the one who ran naked into the sea in her audition video.
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still my favourite winner (just ahead of Brian Dowling). In recent years she has tweeted pic of her and Johnny and another pic of her and Alison so she is not shying away from her BB past.

She has carved out a great career for herself. Bit of TV presenting, Anne Summers model, and a successful DJ. Good luck to her. Not a tart or thick and overall a woman we'd all like to be or be mates with.
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't she overseas working when Ultimate Big Brother was on?

After BB9 there was a photoshoot with all winners up to that point: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/02/article-1190206-052B1522000005DC-996_468x286_popup.jpg

Kate's there.
  • this_THATthis_THAT Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow i hardly recognise her on twitter picture, good winner of bb
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    She's the least embarrassing former winner for me. Brian was until the point he presented and was terrible, such a shame.

To see Nikki etc still around and living off former "glory" from 5 or more years ago is just sad.

Hasn't Adele from BB3 also done quite well for herself?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's the least embarrassing former winner for me. Brian was until the point he presented and was terrible, such a shame.

To see Nikki etc still around and living off former "glory" from 5 or more years ago is just sad.

Hasn't Adele from BB3 also done quite well for herself?

She has, incredibly well, presents on 1xtra and has done some shifts on Radio1 without a doubt the series where most people did best out of. Not surprising as it was the highest-rated and had the biggest peak. Despite being denigrated by many now.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When will folk stop making conceptual leaps and asking questions based on the idea that an assumption of theirs is fact?
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's quite insulting when people say that Kate owes her life to Big Brother. Being on the show undoubtedly brought her oppurtunities that she couldn't have dreamed of before she did the show, but that was twelve years ago now. The initial fame that came with being "Kate off Big Brother" has long gone, yet she still continues to maintain her job in radio over a decade later. Big Brother absolutely got her foot in the door, but it doesn't help keep her in a job over a decade later, she does that.

Big Brother was a nine week experience that Kate had in 2002. She has no obligation to keep running back to it a decade later. Her Twitter post shows she's well aware that BB changed her life and that she remains grateful for it. Her life isn't defined by being on Big Brother, even if it will always be the thing she will be best remembered for. Sometimes, I think some past contestants should keep that in mind more often!
  • LMAOLMAO Posts: 3,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Kate & her friendship with Alison, they made me laugh, was a shame Alison went so early.
    I have never heard her say anything bad about BB, but initially all anyone seemd to want to talk to her about was Jade & then Jade was showing up everywhere, so I guess Kate just went off to do her own thing & good luck to her. :)
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doggyphant wrote: »

"I was in it."
    "I won it!"

She was beyond awful on that show. Just as well she didn't continue to pursue a career in presenting.