Best T Rex song ??

JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
Forum Member
one of these maybe ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCQ6PL1QZic

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsbdz9Klh0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCgQc0LQs4

whats yours ?

any youths on here who havent heard of them check them out !!!
youths, lol, i can say that now im 33

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love em and im 21 does does that count as a yoof ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Ride a white song v 20th Century Boy v Get it on - difficult

probably "Get it on"

great grungy guitar riff
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm ancient 42. I love T Rex. Favourite for me is a toss up between Metal Guru & Children of The Revolution.
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    helenj1986 wrote: »
    I love em and im 21 does does that count as a yoof ?

you are post youth!
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Like a White Star Tangled and Far Tulip That's What you are"

Closely followed by "Trelawny Lawn" and "Deboraarobed" and the one where John Peel talks about someone soiling their Rupert Bear trousers.
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Metal guru' is my favourite single but an album track I love is
    'soul of my suit'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough a 'yooth' friend of mine lent me their MARC BOLAN & T. REX: The Essential Collection today and I ripped it to iTunes about an hour ago - I would say 'Get It On', 'Children of The Revolution' and '20th Century Boy' were amongst their greatest hits - but what do I know - I only just got the CD LOL.
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    So many greats it's hard to choose one; but Telegram Sam is pretty much perfect for me. A monumental single that had an indefinable quality to it like so many of Marc's songs. THAT is the true meaning of the term 'X factor'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love T-rex, i'm 19 and i grew up listening to them. It's hard to pick my ultimate fave...Metal Guru, Hot Love....it's quite difficult.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telegram Sam was the first single I ever bought. Love Hot Love too.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Jeepster
    Telegram Sam
    Laser Love
    Buick McKane
    Cosmic Dancer

God, there are so many....
  • Options
    codacoda Posts: 5,337
    Forum Member
    Either 20th Century Boy or Life's a Gas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    the more of their records you remember, the more difficult it gets to pick a favourite.

i'll probably stick with 'get it on', but every time another one gets mentioned, I think 'mmm -should I change my mind?'

I read a really good biopic about Marc - think it might have been in Mojo
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My picks would be -

Jeepster
    Get It On
    Ride A White Swan
    Hot Love
  • Options
    LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tis a toss up between Get it on and Children of the revolution for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My all time favourite band, and I'm 16.

Too many to pick- I like the obscure later stuff:

Calling All Destroyers
    Elemental Child
    She Was Born to Be my Unicorn
    Visions of Domino
    Galaxy
    Free Angel
    Electric Slim and the Factory Hen
    Metropolis Incarnate (actually this song was never released during Marc's lifetime, but it's still a cracker)

And of course all the big hits and singles, with the exception of I Love to Boogie. That's dire.

:D
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    :eek:

I LOVE I Love To Boogie!.Not his best, but a classic riff and a great little pop song.

I agree his later (74-77) work is overlooked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:

I LOVE I Love To Boogie!.Not his best, but a classic riff and a great little pop song.

I agree his later (74-77) work is overlooked.

Yeah, the later stuff is brill. I have bored Musty to tears over Zinc Alloy- it's proto-Prince! :D

Also Futuristic Dragon is a cool album- it's the one with Destroyers and My Little Baby on it. And Chrome Sitar is another of my faves!

But I still stand by what I said about Boogie. Marc nearly got sued for plagiarism over that song- it was apparently a rip off (no pun intended :D) of an old Webb Pierce song. Rockabilly fans even staged burnings of the record :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it's about best song, but I must also mention Life's A Gas, Dove, Metal Guru, Ballrooms Of Mars, Broken Hearted Blues, Highway Knees and Children Of The Revolution. I think Marc was a genius.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's about best song, but I must also mention Life's A Gas, Dove, Metal Guru, Ballrooms Of Mars, Broken Hearted Blues, Highway Knees and Children Of The Revolution. I think Marc was a genius.

Truly I do love you :)

Anyway, being something of a Bolanphile myself, I have too many faves. This guy was my single greatest influence as a poet- even when he lost the hippie image he could still deliver some cracking rhymes... but not on Zip Gun (1975), which is widely agreed to be the lowest point of his career: "Oooh like a precious star you are" :o

As for worst, there are only about four or five songs I can think of that I truly hate, like Boogie. Every album has at least one standout track- Zip Gun has Golden Belt, which could be one of the first rap songs IMO :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brokennews wrote: »
    Truly I do love you :)

As for worst, there are only about four or five songs I can think of that I truly hate, like Boogie. Every album has at least one standout track- Zip Gun has Golden Belt, which could be one of the first rap songs IMO :)
    I'm so glad later generations have discovered Marc's songs :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get It On
    Ride A White Swan
    Hot Love
    Children of the Revolution

Loved T Rex :)
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brokennews wrote: »
    My all time favourite band, and I'm 16.

Too many to pick- I like the obscure later stuff:

Calling All Destroyers
    Elemental Child
    She Was Born to Be my Unicorn
    Visions of Domino
    Galaxy
    Free Angel
    Electric Slim and the Factory Hen
    Metropolis Incarnate (actually this song was never released during Marc's lifetime, but it's still a cracker)

And of course all the big hits and singles, with the exception of I Love to Boogie. That's dire.

:D

Elemental Child and She was born to be my Unicorn are bth early songs from before T.Rex became big.

Not sure about the others. I assume they are late songs because I don't know 'em (apart from Calling All Destroyers)!

I was in the T.Rex fan club when I was at school you know! Used to get flexi-discs and all sorts we did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Manko wrote: »
    Not sure about the others. I assume they are late songs because I don't know 'em (apart from Calling All Destroyers)!
    Electric Slim And The Factory Hen is on the album Tanx, Manko. It followed The Slider and despite the critical slating it got, I love it. It has some of Marc's least known but best songs on it IMO :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manko wrote: »
    Elemental Child and She was born to be my Unicorn are bth early songs from before T.Rex became big.

I was in the T.Rex fan club when I was at school you know! Used to get flexi-discs and all sorts we did.

Free Angel was the B-side to 20th Century Boy! :)

Calling All Destroyers is such a cool track; I love the riff and the weird sirens during the chorus. Kinda reminds me of a kung-fu theme! :D

I'm really jealous of you Manko- I wish I was around in the early 1970s. They were such a great band and more people today should like them. I think they're enjoying a revival of sorts lately tho :)