Options

Have there been any artists that have recovered from "The Sophmore Slump"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is 2 million considered a flop? or just a flop for that specific artist? I wondered if the OP meant like a second album that literally sold under a few thousand or something? But maybe not

For Nelly specific i'd say it was a flop, especially after the debut success. For example her second album didn't produce any hit singles and had very low chart peaks as well as "poor" sales.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Bush kind of did with her 2nd album in 1978. After the massive success of Wuthering Heights and The Kick Inside album, she rush released Lionheart which was formed of songs written at the same time as The Kick Inside.. Initially Sales were poor and the first single from it Hammer Horror surprisingly bombed. However, the following year Wow became a hit and the album re-entered the charts. Still wasn't the greatest success though.

Her third album Never for Ever was amazingly the first female album (excluding compilations) to go to no. 1! :eek:
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    Kate Bush kind of did with her 2nd album in 1978. After the massive success of Wuthering Heights and The Kick Inside album, she rush released Lionheart which was formed of songs written at the same time as The Kick Inside.. Initially Sales were poor and the first single from it Hammer Horror surprisingly bombed. However, the following year Wow became a hit and the album re-entered the charts. Still wasn't the greatest success though.

Her third album Never for Ever was amazingly the first female album (excluding compilations) to go to no. 1! :eek:

Good example! I was pleased to see 'Hammer Horror' included on a Halloween hits compilation recently - an often forgotten single. Speaking of low charting Kate singles from around the 'Never For Ever' period, it's hard to believe 'December Will Be Magic Again' peaked at Number 29.
    I always look forward to listening to both versions of that one.
  • Options
    XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence and the Machine - Lungs was successful and she came back with Ceremonials which also sold amazingly.

Anastacia released Not That Kind and her second album Freak of Nature was a success too. 'Anastacia' was a success too but her 4th album 'Heavy Rotation' after break from the music scene sadly flopped.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is 2 million considered a flop? or just a flop for that specific artist? I wondered if the OP meant like a second album that literally sold under a few thousand or something? But maybe not
    This is what i initially meant, as in getting dropped, but i didn't really specify that! Although it is interesting to see others peoples varied opinions on the subject.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Nelly Furtado is a great example.

Whoa Nelly! - 7 million worldwide
    Folklore - 2 million worldwide
    Loose - 12 million worldwide (including 2 US #1 singles and a UK #1)

Shame she's back to flopping again, though. :(

To be fair, Loose seemed in large chunks as much a Timbaland album as Nelly's, and there was a point in 2006/07 when Timbaland could have produced an album by Ken Dodd and it would have sold millions! :D
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    To be fair, Loose seemed in large chunks as much a Timbaland album as Nelly's, and there was a point in 2006/07 when Timbaland could have produced an album by Ken Dodd and it would have sold millions! :D

Yes, I think the success of the album was a lot to do with the electropop/hip hop production that Timbaland did for it, but, on the other hand, Timbaland had been producing many songs for big name artists, but they never did anything, usually being left as album tracks. It was Nelly's songs Promiscuous/Maneater, that put him back in the limelight.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about Stan Boardman?
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Kelly Clarkson after 'My December' not performing well but her latest two albums being really successful

Others could be Eminem, P!nk Britney, The Killers and Kasabian

Sophomore is your second album, right? If so...

Kelly Clarkson - My December wasn't her sophomore album, Breakaway was, so she didn't have a sophomore slump. Her sophmore album is still her most successful.

p!nk - like Kelly, her sophomore album is her most succesful to date.

eminem - it depends what you class as his sophomore album. Infinite was techincally his first album. Either way, I wouldn't say The Slim Shady LP or The Marshall Mathers LP were slumps. I don't think he's ever had a slump really.