Will 3 MVNOs be able to access its 800MHz coverage?

roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will the 3 MVNOs like ID Mobile be able to access the 800MHz coverage if it requires a carrier update to happen?

Comments

• thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I doubt it, only Three issued handsets can currently connect to the 800mhz fequency and then only some Three issued handsets can access it. :p
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Will the 3 MVNOs like ID Mobile be able to access the 800MHz coverage if it requires a carrier update to happen?

Doubtful, at least in the short to medium term. Give it a few years or so and it might change.
  • tarziontarzion Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only Three issued handsets can currently connect to the 800mhz fequency:p

That is not entirely true.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this to do with the o2 - three merger or is this something separate?
  • CloudaneCloudane Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it, only Three issued handsets can currently connect to the 800mhz fequency and then only some Three issued handsets can access it. :p

That's interesting. What about iPhones? Since they don't come with carrier specific ROMs.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    tarzion wrote: »
    That is not entirely true.

Oh. Howcome?
    Cloudane wrote: »
    That's interesting. What about iPhones? Since they don't come with carrier specific ROMs.

I think iPhones need to receive a carrier update from Apple to enable VoLTE. Which for the 6, 6 plus, 6s and 6s plus is apparently coming mid december.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh. Howcome?

I think iPhones need to receive a carrier update from Apple to enable VoLTE. Which for the 6, 6 plus, 6s and 6s plus is apparently coming mid december.

Certain Nexus unbranded phones just work for data but not voice I heard, and of course as you mention Apple manages the carrier settings in a very different way through Apple updates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Is this to do with the o2 - three merger or is this something separate?

Hi, I don't make a habit of "bumping " threads but does anyone know the answer to my question. Just curious as an O2 user.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Hi, I don't make a habit of "bumping " threads but does anyone know the answer to my question. Just curious as an O2 user.

Entirely separate, Three got that spectrum a couple of years ago way before the sale was announced, although there have been discussions and rumours of a sale of Telefonica UK's O2 going back to 2011, it had been on the cards for years and years.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    All iPhones (that are allowed to connect) will work. Regardless of where they came from.
    Doesn't matter if you got it from Apple, Amazon, second hand on eBay or from Vodafone and then had it unlocked, it will work if Three add it to their allowed devices list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Entirely separate, Three got that spectrum a couple of years ago way before the sale was announced, although there have been discussions and rumours of a sale of Telefonica UK's O2 going back to 2011, it had been on the cards for years and years.

Thank you :)
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The Nexus 6 works on 800MHz doesn't it?