Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 5)

Comments

• What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was trivialising paedophilia and rape by equating wanting them prosecuted to a witch hunt. Witches don't exists but paedophiles and rapists do (in all spheres of life) despite the wish of the establishment to pretend "respectable" people should be above suspicion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    so you're happy for people that are accused to be named in the press

I think it depends on the context. What we appear to have here is a situation where the usual means of getting justice has been made impossible because of the political establishment covering up for one of their own. If the police won't act against certain individuals because they're too well-connected then i don't think the normal rules apply.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as a lot of the accusation go back 30/40 years its going to take some time to collate and check people's statements
    yet they had enough corroboration to arrest glitter & starr almost immediately. Sorry don't buy it. All this "We will come for you" when exactly is the question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    clemmati wrote: »
    I just watched it.

Cameron said

"... there is a danger that if we are not careful this could turn into a sort of witch-hunt particularly against people who are gay"

And he's right.

Of course that's right, I've heard many people wrongfully assume that paedophiles must be gay, there's no connection whatsoever. That's just ignorance of the topic in most cases.

However, isn't it a bit odd that Cameron immediately jumped to that particular line of defence? Philip Schofield wasn't suggesting in any way that the men on the list were gay or that people were being targeted simply because they are gay. I just found it a very telling reaction from Cameron. And not the one we want.

All he did earlier was display more of the diversionary tactics that so many have already. I'm tired of people in positions of power continuously dancing around the subject. Enough! Start answering questions head on. Had DC taken that piece of paper and said "These people are all being looked at and will be questioned as appropriate regarding the allegations" he may have looked a bit more credible. But he didn't. He ducked the issue and tried turning it into one of homophobia.

As for "report it to the Police"... Is DC also among those who just don't get it? The Police knew. They helped cover it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    yet they had enough corroboration to arrest glitter & starr almost immediately. Sorry don't buy it. All this "We will come for you" when exactly is the question.

Plus the press conferences seem to have disappeared.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »

If someone in our local communities was accused of abuse by just one person their feet wouldn't touch the ground as they were being hauled in. Yet, the Newsnight man was named years ago by more than one and now he's been named again, but still hasn't been arrested for questioning. Why?
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philip Scofield - well done !!
    Cameron's guarded reaction is strange, being gay nothing to do with whether a person is a pedo

http://order-order.com/2012/11/08/watch-reduced-quality-video-of-schofield-alleged-paedo-blunder/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20248711
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,939
    Forum Member
    And yet we are at a point that children who were raped have been forced to openly speak about their abuse in order to push the police and prosectution services to act (and even that may not work) and meanwhile people who have multiple child rape accusations made against them right to privacy is respected and are not arrested.

What does that say about how seriously we view child rape as opposed to that of an adult?

Some have chosen to be identified others haven't.

In recent times have you dealt with a child claiming they've been sexually assaulted?

Would a young child wonder into a police station and say they've been sexually assaulted? If most sexual assaults happen within a family then who does the child tell?

At the old fashioned large care homes, if they are being abused then it's likely to be by someone in charge of them, where does the child turn to make a complaint?
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron's guarded reaction is strange, being gay nothing to do with whether a person is a pedo

http://order-order.com/2012/11/08/watch-reduced-quality-video-of-schofield-alleged-paedo-blunder/

I'm wondering if all the names on the list were of gay people :confused:. Does anyone know?
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately there are a lot of morons out there who probably don't know the difference and people have committed suicide after their lives have been ruined by rumours

Which is why they need to be investigated and cleared by an idependant inquiry...not playing the gay card - which I think only brings a link between the two. If I was on that list and knew I was innocent I'd be all for an inquiry to stop internet rumours.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubble2 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the context. What we appear to have here is a situation where the usual means of getting justice has been made impossible because of the political establishment covering up for one of their own. If the police won't act against certain individuals because they're too well-connected then i don't think the normal rules apply.

So people that are possible not guilty get named in the press along with the guilty and then what - we wait for the police to go round or more likely the mob with ptichforks to go round
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You know that , I know that and most sensible people know that, but even on these boards correlations have been made before now, and whilst ridiculous it does happen , some bigotted people and others with a lonely braincell think the two go hand in hand.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    Which is why they need to be investigated and cleared by an idependant inquiry...not playing the gay card - which I think only brings a link between the two. If I was on that list and knew I was innocent I'd be all for an inquiry to stop internet rumours.

But would you be happy for your name to be outed on national television
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Absolutely! In fact, the overwhelming majority of abuse victims are girls. Which rather suggests that the majority of paedos are straight.

Having said that, some are gay & that shouldn't be brushed under the carpet. If people start playing the gay card then it's just another coverup.
    Forum Member
    Phill333 wrote: »
    Of course that's right, I've heard many people wrongfully assume that paedophiles must be gay, there's no connection whatsoever. That's just ignorance of the topic in most cases.

However, isn't it a bit odd that Cameron immediately jumped to that particular line of defence? Philip Schofield wasn't suggesting in any way that the men on the list were gay or that people were being targeted simply because they are gay. I just found it a very telling reaction from Cameron. And not the one we want.

All he did earlier was display more of the diversionary tactics that so many have already. I'm tired of people in positions of power continuously dancing around the subject. Enough! Start answering questions head on. Had DC taken that piece of paper and said "These people are all being looked at and will be questioned as appropriate regarding the allegations" he may have looked a bit more credible. But he didn't. He ducked the issue and tried turning it into one of homophobia.

As for "report it to the Police"... Is DC also among those who just don't get it? The Police knew. They helped cover it up.

Completely agree.
    Forum Member
    But would you be happy for your name to be outed on national television

No news agencies are going to run 'the list' are they? It's already been blurred.

Let's face it, most of the audience are not going to freeze frame it to see the list, that will take place on the internet, as it already has, where the list originated from in the first place.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    You know that , I know that and most sensible people know that, but even on these boards correlations have been made before now, and whilst ridiculous it does happen , some bigotted people and others with a lonely braincell think the two go hand in hand.

Sure, but assuming the names that were written down on that card were the same 5 ones that pop up most often on various blogs, 4 of them are married and only one of them (as far as I know) is gay.

It was Cameron who made the conflation here, and that's really shameful on his part.
  • luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member

Unfortunately it was a 'tell'.

I am assuming that as soon as he saw that list he recognised names on it that are gay, openly or otherwise, or had smear campaigns against them based on their homosexuality, so immediately started defending the gay angle. I have my own worries about gay people being targetted as peodophiles just because they are gay.

Its a misconception as we all know that gay people are peodophiles.

There are heotrosexual peodophiles, homosexual peodophiles and bisexual peodophiles.

Cameron needs some coaching on not showing 'tells' when being doorstepped live on air.

By the way in my opinion it was a stupid thing for Philip Schofield to do.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Sure, but assuming the names that were written down on that card were the same 5 ones that pop up most often on various blogs, 4 of them are married and only one of them (as far as I know) is gay.

It was Cameron who made the conflation here, and that's really shameful on his part.

Maybe the names on the list are gay or bisexual he may be privy to information we are not , we didnt see the names so we dont know, maybe Cameron has read the internet and is seeing some less scrupulous people linking being gay with paedophilia.
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

Yes its quite worrying.
    Forum Member
    So people that are possible not guilty get named in the press along with the guilty and then what - we wait for the police to go round or more likely the mob with ptichforks to go round

Here's an idea, the powers that be actually stop dragging their feet and do something, then there will be no need for rumours and witch-hunt. The public have had enough of this government treading water on so many issues but children being sexually molested is a step too far in their procrastination.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's an idea, the powers that be actually stop dragging their feet and do something, then there will be no need for rumours and witch-hunt. The public have had enough of this government treading water on so many issues but children being sexually molested is a step too far in their procrastination.

SPOT ON!!
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really think that will stop innocent people's names being put out as potential suspects?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Mr Schofield needs to stick to "light entertainment and journalism" this was a very stupid thing to do, am sure it was with good intent, but what it has done is backfire on him and made a mockery of the seriousness of the whole situation

With respect, I think you'll find the one made a mockery of was sitting opposite PS. Cameron's remarks will (hopefully) backfire - I'd like him to explain why he's now turning the issue of paedophilia into one of homophobia? He said it, not PS or HW - he did. Why?

All he's done is line up a handy defence for any of his "friends" who may be implicated. I can see it now - some vile old creature standing in the dock claiming "I'm being targeted simply because of my sexuality" as some warped defence.

It's not really that different to people who won't engage in debate on immigration because they throw the race card at anyone who opposes it. It's nothing to with race for most people, but making it so by throwing the "racist" line out usually ends up in the whole debate collapsing. Nobody wants to be labelled racist so they won't engage in proper debate. That's exactly the tactic DC used earlier.

I for one don't want to see child abusers walk free because people like DC start shouting "homophobia" or such like. We all know politicians use diversionary methods but it's time to drop the political bs and tackle a very disturbing issue without point-scoring, without lying and without diverting attention.
    Forum Member
    No news agencies are going to run 'the list' are they? It's already been blurred.

Let's face it, most of the audience are not going to freeze frame it to see the list, that will take place on the internet, as it already has, where the list originated from in the first place.

Oh I'm sure there are loads of people editing and freeze framing as we speak to get some names or saying they have by doctoring it for their own agendas.
This discussion has been closed.