Match of the Day - where's your non-white pundits?

1235»

Comments

• The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a ludicrous thread. The BBC can be accused of many things, but racial discrimination? I'm sorry but they can show countless examples of presenters who are non-white.

But like anything, if you look at certain programmes in isolation then you can draw absurd conclusions.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I wonder how many non-white and female football reporters there are on national newspapers - I suspect the answer is very few.

Amy Lawrence of the Guardian, she's also a guest sometimes on James Richardson's podcast. She's pretty good. There's a sports writer who does the newspaper roundup on SSN, whose name escapes me at the moment.

I'm not surprised there aren't (m)any female football pundits on UK TV, they tend to be ex Premiership players or managers, and it will be a long, long time before we see any women in either role. I'm not sure I'd single out the BBC, no station has the same ratio of black commentators, hosts or pundits as there are black players. Hopefully the situation will improve over time. In the US it's a fair bit better - Magic Johson, Charles Barkley, Pam Oliver, James Brown (not the singer) to name just a few are all well-respected and do a terrific job.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Maybe the OP is from the Daily Mail, so they can then complain about the BBC preferentially giving jobs to "immigrants".
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Amy Lawrence of the Guardian, she's also a guest sometimes on James Richardson's podcast. She's pretty good. There's a sports writer who does the newspaper roundup on SSN, whose name escapes me at the moment.

I'm not surprised there aren't (m)any female football pundits on UK TV, they tend to be ex Premiership players or managers, and it will be a long, long time before we see any women in either role. I'm not sure I'd single out the BBC, no station has the same ratio of black commentators, hosts or pundits as there are black players. Hopefully the situation will improve over time. In the US it's a fair bit better - Magic Johson, Charles Barkley, Pam Oliver, James Brown (not the singer) to name just a few are all well-respected and do a terrific job.

Darren Lewis of the Daily Mirror.