Dr Who Ratings Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thos are great averages.....personally i would hope that Series 7 continues its impressive trend....but with 7 episodes to go i do also think it will drop down a bit :/ Hopefully with 50th announcements/promos still circulating each episode will be sustained.

Not forgetting that the Ice Warriors are the week after, there is a TARDIS heavy episode that may attract a load and of coruse the Cybermen...also the finale will rake more in too...so we will see but from a promo/mainstream POV those will be pulls.
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »
    Excluding the Christmas specials (because I'm lazy and doing it like this is far easier for me) the average for each series are:

Series 1: 7,961m
    Series 2: 7,704m
    Series 3: 7,559m
    Series 4: 8,141m
    '09/10 Specials: 10,760m
    Series 5: 7,292m
    Series 6: 7,512m
    Series 7: 7,943m (Only 6 episode average, where episode 6 isn't fully consolidated)

I'd expect the Series 7 average to drop off as the series goes on, but still should comfortably be the 3rd most successful series since it returned in 2005 (excluding the specials).

They are some impressive figures for over an 8 year run.The show seems to keep roughly around the same audience year In year out. Can't say that about many TV shows.

It certainly has been one of the smartest decisions the BBC has ever made to bring back this show. Long may it continue
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excluding the Christmas specials (because I'm lazy and doing it like this is far easier for me) the average for each series are:

Series 1: 7,961m
    Series 2: 7,704m
    Series 3: 7,559m
    Series 4: 8,141m
    '09/10 Specials: 10,760m
    Series 5: 7,292m
    Series 6: 7,512m
    Series 7: 7,943m (Only 6 episode average, where episode 6 isn't fully consolidated)

I'd expect the Series 7 average to drop off as the series goes on, but still should comfortably be the 3rd most successful series since it returned in 2005 (excluding the specials).

Series 5 averaged 7.73 million, not 7.29 million ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

I did think Series 5 was one of the highest rated series <3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think Series 5 was one of the highest rated series <3

Series 5 is a bit of an odd one. I think it's the only series were scheduling genuinely did effect it significantly, but even then by misfortune more than design. It ran in to a very hot summer and the world cup, and due to Englands failure to win their group (as they should have), instead of having an england game as a lead in for The Lodger ended up being almost directly against it because their game ended up on itv. Essentially these factors conspired to cause that series to lose momentum somewhat. Episodes 1 - 7 averaged 8.38 million, episodes 8 - 13 6.91!

It was also the year massive timeshifts became the norm, and there was a good deal of unpleasantness on this thread at the time which lead to my not contributing to this thread for a long long time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 5 is a bit of an odd one. I think it's the only series were scheduling genuinely did effect it significantly, but even then by misfortune more than design. It ran in to a very hot summer and the world cup, and due to Englands failure to win their group (as they should have), instead of having an england game as a lead in for The Lodger ended up being almost directly against it because their game ended up on itv. Episodes 1 - 7 averaged 8.38 million, episodes 8 - 13 6.91!

It was also the year massive timeshifts became the norm, and there was a good deal of unpleasantness on this thread at the time which lead to my not contributing to this thread for a long long time...

Brinvs back memories of a very absurd 2010 for me too thats INSANE!

And yeah unpleasantness was always a thing on here which was a shame...and yeah it was chaos remembering....crikey YES we did have a hot summer once upon a time...cant believe it was that long ago since a full 13 episode run series :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES we did have a hot summer once upon a time...cant believe it was that long ago since a full 13 episode run series :eek:

One of the advantages of split series is you can avoid running in to the summer months too much even with an easter start. If you look at the figures for series 6, even though the overall average is down a wee little bit, there was a much more even performance across the two runs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the advantages of split series is you can avoid running in to the summer months too much even with an easter start. If you look at the figures for series 6, even though the overall average is down a wee little bit, there was a much more even performance across the two runs.

that is true...and series 7 looks set to surpass series 6 average also...depending on the next 7 episodes of course...but i really think with its mid-May finale it all looks set to do very well indeed :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is true...and series 7 looks set to surpass series 6 average also...depending on the next 7 episodes of course...but i really think with its mid-May finale it all looks set to do very well indeed :)

I agree with Yog101 we will see a bit of a dip in the average most likely, but hopefully with high profile episodes like the ice warrior and cybermen one, along with the finale, I would hope not too much of a dip, as there is plenty coming up to keep the series in the public conciseness as it progresses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Yog101 we will see a bit of a dip in the average most likely, but hopefully with high profile episodes like the ice warrior and cybermen one, along with the finale, I would hope not too much of a dip, as there is plenty coming up to keep the series in the public conciseness as it progresses.

Totally...i mean this week we have had more 50th announcements, and episode 2 usually is slightly lower anyway....but hopefully it will be sustained mroe...and yes the wek after ICE WARRIORS which has had massive coverage....and then that may sustain for the next weeks ghost story (plus Call The Midwifes Jessica Raine is guesting in it) then a TARDIS themed episode which may pull in extras too due to the title/content/teasing....of coruse CYBERMEN/Neil blend will be a massive WIN and the finale is always a pull :) so yeah...lets just see how it all leads :D
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmm... maybe there was a repeat I kept in there by accident. Shall check tomorrow.

It's looking good for Series 7 though. If the average stays above 7.8m I'd be very happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US ratings...

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/04/doctor-who-midseason-premiere-ratings-second-best-in-bbc-america-history.html
    "Doctor Who" returned to BBC America on Saturday (March 30) night and scored the second best ratings to date for both the series and the network.

While "Who" drew 1.496 million viewers for its 8 p.m. premiere (just under the 1.555 million who tuned in for the Series 7 premiere back in September), the audience grew to 2.019 million in live plus same day viewing. Additionally, the episode -- which formally introduced Jenna-Louise Coleman as the Doctor's new companion, Clara -- scored 737,000 viewers in BBC America's target demo of adults 25-54. That ranks second of all-time on the network following December's "Who" Christmas special "The Snowmen" (807,000 adults 25-54)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Bells of Saint John is currently at No. 7 in the US iTunes TV episode chart. I haven't been paying enough attention to know whether it is on the way up, the way down or currently at its peak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    The Bells of Saint John is currently at No. 7 in the US iTunes TV episode chart. I haven't been paying enough attention to know whether it is on the way up, the way down or currently at its peak.

It's was Number 1 on Sunday. It's on it's way down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... maybe there was a repeat I kept in there by accident. Shall check tomorrow.

I've double checked my figures with those on GB and they tally with mine :)

I'm absolutely certain no series has dropped below 7.5 million average. The press would have had a field day if the series average had dropped by a full million the first series after DT left....:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've double checked my figures with those on GB and they tally with mine :)

I'm absolutely certain no series has dropped below 7.5 million average. The press would have had a field day if the series average had dropped by a full million the first series after DT left....:eek:

Just worked out why I got it wrong. It was prior to BBC1 HD (there was just BBC HD), so the HD figures weren't included.

My figures for Series 5 are now 7,777m

Which are much closer to yours :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Anyone have the AI for The Bells of Saint John? I have a feeling its going to be high.

I do also think these continuing good viewing figures protect the show from any stupid decisions at the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Anyone have the AI for The Bells of Saint John? I have a feeling its going to be high.

I do also think these continuing good viewing figures protect the show from any stupid decisions at the BBC.

It got 87, which is decent.

Also, updates ratings has Bells of Saint John at 8,035m

:D
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice! Probably end up around 8.4m?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member

You wouldn't happen to have updated ratings for SNT and the voice as well?

Also - does anyone know how The Bells of Saint John is tracking relative to Asylum of the Daleks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Nice! Probably end up around 8.4m?

Well with it being the Easter break I certainly think the consolidated viewings will be bigger than the usual. 8.4m certainly is possible.
    You wouldn't happen to have updated ratings for SNT and the voice as well?

Also - does anyone know how The Bells of Saint John is tracking relative to Asylum of the Daleks?

SNT: 7,283m excl. +1 (7,818 with +1)
    The Voice: 7,291m

So DW is still the strongest Saturday programme :D

I could find the answer to your second question, but I'm a bit snowed under at work at the moment, and it'll take a bit of time to do, so will try and do it when things are quieter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this works:

AotD
    Live+VOSDAL 6,439
    Day 1 7,527
    Day 2 7,800
    Day 3 8,019

BoSJ
    Live+VOSDAL 6,184
    Day 1 7,329
    Day 2 7,821
    Day 3 8,035
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Thanks a bunch Yog101 - very interesting data there - seems Doctor Who is timeshifting even more than last time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 5 is a bit of an odd one. I think it's the only series were scheduling genuinely did effect it significantly, but even then by misfortune more than design. It ran in to a very hot summer and the world cup, and due to Englands failure to win their group (as they should have), instead of having an england game as a lead in for The Lodger ended up being almost directly against it because their game ended up on itv. Essentially these factors conspired to cause that series to lose momentum somewhat. Episodes 1 - 7 averaged 8.38 million, episodes 8 - 13 6.91!

Not just timeshifts but iPlayer which was a) good as Who ended up as one of the main drivers for the service but b) bad as those figures ain't included anywhere and if certain folks weren't going to understand the increasing importance of timeshift viewing then that might as well have been nuclear physics!

Aaaaanyway, great result for Bells of Saint John, can't do much more than win the day really. Interesting to see where the final timeshift comes in but regardless I still find it remarkable that a genre show is not only still one of the biggest events on TV 7 series later but is showing no signs of slowing down.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I hope we end up somewhere near 9.13 million... I have entered a comp regarding what final ratings are :D