Options

CS Carla and Deirdre

Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Really enjoyed their scene tonight. They should have more scenes together.

Comments

• Options
    madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They definitely should. It's nice to see Carla accepted into the family now, as at first I remember Deirdre was a little hostile towards her (understandably). I think Carla works well with the Barlows!
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I really liked it as well. Deidre was brilliant tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I agree. Really enjoyed it too.
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh I really liked it as well. Deidre was brilliant tonight.

She was wasn't she.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I think that sort of relationship could also be good for Carla seeing as she missed out on it with her own mother.
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think dedries scenes were actually originally kens?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Excellent scene.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bobby_Marz wrote: »

And how do you think ken would do on the cold calling? :D
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I loved their scenes tonight and it would be great to see more!
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really peculiar scene, it's like Carla has dropped her whole confident. smooth cool customer performance to act like an awkward schoolgirl with Deirdre. Who the hell is she?
    I thought it was so weird, after all Carla is a middle aged woman herself and Deirdre's about as motherly as Lily Savage.
    I actually thought Deirdre was going to set her on her knee at one point,lol.
    It makes Carla look like an extremely immature and feeble character. If she hasn't got the strength to tackle the pathetic weasel figure of Peter Barlow on her own, how on earth is she supposed to be managing a factory full of people who aren't falling over themselves to please her?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    Really peculiar scene, it's like Carla has dropped her whole confident. smooth cool customer performance to act like an awkward schoolgirl with Deirdre. Who the hell is she?
    I thought it was so weird, after all Carla is a middle aged woman herself and Deirdre's about as motherly as Lily Savage.
    I actually thought Deirdre was going to set her on her knee at one point,lol.
    It makes Carla look like an extremely immature and feeble character. If she hasn't got the strength to tackle the pathetic weasel figure of Peter Barlow on her own, how on earth is she supposed to be managing a factory full of people who aren't falling over themselves to please her?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

She was awkward, but I thought that was what was brilliant about it. She never seems to have had a proper family unit, the Connor's were the next best thing to a family and she never seemed fully accepted by Helen and Barry. I thought the scene were Deirdre told Carla she was 'family now' was lovely, it was though Carla wasn't sure how to react, she didn't feel she belonged there.

What was immature about it?
  • Options
    rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    I thought it was brilliant! I agree with comments that Deirdre could provide maternal support, or even the maternal-in-law support that Carla really never had. When she called her sweetheart it just made me melt! And there's more to come which is great!

I suppose mad, that team Leanne fans are going to be looking for excuses now that Deirdre has realigned herself as Switzerland! If both Carla and Peter were surprised, team Leanne are going to be shocked!!!!! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not think that knowing her as a character as well as I know you do, that her behaviour lately is in complete contrast to the apparent ballsy, brash and on top of everything control freak that Carla has been portrayed as up until now?

I know it seems that they've been trying to shift gears dramatically and make her seem more than ever in need of other peoples support and approval but this runs contrary to everything we've been led to believe about her all along.

She has always been so quick with her tongue to be harsh and cutting with others and hard nosed, and it hasn't cost her a thought, but when SHE'S the one facing difficulties and dilemmas with other people, she wants to be cosseted and treated with kid gloves as though she's a child. It's a bit of a dichotomy to say the least.

She demands to be made an exception of, she feels entitled to have special privilege. She can treat other people badly and never face any retaliation it seems but then feel confident in seeking the full attention and validation from others when she desires it. She hasn't yet had to live in the real world and no child coming from a supposed tough background as she claims would manage to become a person like this. Carla acts like a spoiled little rich girl.
    And Deirdre falls for it too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    There's nothing immature about feeling insecure, it's just a part of life. I don't see anything wrong with her talking to Deirdre, who's known Peter a long time. Everybody needs support at one point or another. Who else is she to go to other than Peter's, and now her, family, where Peter's concerned? All she did was talk to her about her worries. Nothing child-like about that. Even the strongest of people need support sometimes.

The scene, I absolutely loved it. I think Carla and Deirdre could have a really nice friendship. They seem to really get each other. I hope there are more of those little scenes to come! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you not think that knowing her as a character as well as I know you do, that her behaviour lately is in complete contrast to the apparent ballsy, brash and on top of everything control freak that Carla has been portrayed as up until now?

I know it seems that they've been trying to shift gears dramatically and make her seem more than ever in need of other peoples support and approval but this runs contrary to everything we've been led to believe about her all along.

She has always been so quick with her tongue to be harsh and cutting with others and hard nosed, and it hasn't cost her a thought, but when SHE'S the one facing difficulties and dilemmas with other people, she wants to be cosseted and treated with kid gloves as though she's a child. It's a bit of a dichotomy to say the least.

She demands to be made an exception of, she feels entitled to have special privilege. She can treat other people badly and never face any retaliation it seems but then feel confident in seeking the full attention and validation from others when she desires it. She hasn't yet had to live in the real world and no child coming from a supposed tough background as she claims would manage to become a person like this. Carla acts like a spoiled little rich girl.

I like to think I understand her character pretty well.

BIB 1: The thing I've come to understand about Carla, is a lot of the personality people see, is a front. It's probably fair to say that front has become a part of her personality as she's put it up for so long, but over the years she's had various experiences (losing loved ones, almost being murdered.. twice, being raped etc) and those experiences have allowed the viewers to see the vulnerable person she is beneath. She let down her guard to Deirdre a little, as she was concerned about Peter. You're acting as though she was rolling around on the floor sobbing and terrified.

She does need support and approval - I think that's the thing. She puts up this bitchy, tough facade - and yes, a part of her is tough, and bitchy, and selfish, but beneath that I think she's pretty vulnerable and soft, we've seen that with Peter, Liam & Hayley (sounds like we'll be seeing it again with Hayley next week).
  • Options
    Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that is the case I'm really glad Ken wasn't there to play them because Deirdre smashed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't saying she was rolling round on the floor and I don't think terrified is in her vocabulary. I was saying that the sudden descent into a thumb sucking schoolgirl is like another act, another front if you like.
    She is tough when it comes to other people and their feelings but soft as putty when it's to do with the self.
    She must be the most over indulged, tiptoed around,fawned over brat they have ever had on the show.
    She is a middle aged woman not a five year old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    How is she tough when it comes to other people's feelings. She definitely showed compassion for Sally during her cancer storyline. She was also there for Michelle when Kieran left. Looks like she's going to be there for Hayley too. I can't help but think you don't really understand her character if you think of her that way.
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that scene too. A welcome relief to see characters building bridges and getting on, in a way that seemed really true to life. Gold star for whoever thought of bringing those two together in that scene. Well played by both and very touching.
  • Options
    LibbyScottLibbyScott Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Just think of me as Switzerland in glasses..." :D:D:D

I absolutely loved the Deirdre & Carla scene.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this scene last night for so many reasons. It was great to finally see Carla's worries about Peter's family not accepting her addressed, which was one of the main reasons she left at Christmas, and it was equally lovely to see Deirdre moving on from the whole Leanne drama, whilst not forgiving her completely for it, and being mature enough to see that Carla only has Peter's best interests at heart. It was also great just to see them getting on again, like Carla's comment about Deirdre being a dark horse, there was that glimmer of their friendship beforehand, and I really hope that continues.
    Really peculiar scene, it's like
    So all the times Leanne spoke to Deirdre about her worries for Peter, was she being immature too? It wasn't about Carla 'tackling' anyone, it was about asking someone who knows Peter better than she does how best to help him, because she loves and cares for him but admits that sometimes she can feel out of depth. I don't see that as a bad thing, quite the opposite. I'd far rather she spoke to someone, like she also did with Ken back when Peter started drinking again before Frank was murdered, than plow on regardless and potentially make things worse. And I actually think Carla realising she can ask for help and having the strength to admit when she's struggling is exactly that, a strength, not a weakness of character.
    She was awkward, but I thought that was what was brilliant about it. She never seems to have had a proper family unit, the Connor's were the next best thing to a family and she never seemed fully accepted by Helen and Barry. I thought the scene were Deirdre told Carla she was 'family now' was lovely, it was though Carla wasn't sure how to react, she didn't feel she belonged there.
    Exactly. The idea that someone, especially someone like Deirdre who has clearly expressed their disapproval in the past, would be supportive like that is almost an alien concept to Carla, and I don't think she quite knew how to deal with it. It took her by surprise, and as much as she clearly really appreciated it, it wasn't something she was used to at all. I think her awkwardness was spot on.

If you really believe this, then I suggest you don't know the character anywhere near as well as you think you do.
    Naaat wrote: »
    There's nothing immature about feeling insecure, it's just a part of life. I don't see anything wrong with her talking to Deirdre, who's known Peter a long time. Everybody needs support at one point or another. Who else is she to go to other than Peter's, and now her, family, where Peter's concerned? All she did was talk to her about her worries. Nothing child-like about that. Even the strongest of people need support sometimes.
    This.
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    And how do you think ken would do on the cold calling? :D

Ha ovs not that scene
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does take strength to ask for other people's help and advice, and it's human nature as well.
    But what you said ties in with my point where I'm pointing out that Carla expects favouritism and special privilege.
    She expects Deirdre to be fair and give her good advice when she has also been in Deirdre's position and abused that position of trust.
    When Leanne was trusting her to be a friend and sharing her stories and her life and asking for Carla's advice she took advantage and used the information to scheme and plot to destroy Leanne's marriage.
    She did the same with Maria to a lesser extent.
    Can you see what I mean? She asks from others to be trustworthy but does not feel obliged to be trustworthy herself.
    She has been a total bitch and she has shown no remorse for being a total bitch either choosing instead to rub further salt into Leanne's wounds by reminding her she is barren and making a big deal of how she is enjoying sex with her husband.
    And she is still that person for me, sorry:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She definitely had one of Ken's lines "He's not drinking again is he?" Ken would usually be the one to ask Carla that with his *I'm in pain face*.
    Anya D wrote: »
    If that is the case I'm really glad Ken wasn't there to play them because Deirdre smashed it.

Agreed.
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    I loved that scene too. A welcome relief to see characters building bridges and getting on, in a way that seemed really true to life. Gold star for whoever thought of bringing those two together in that scene. Well played by both and very touching.

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loathe Dierdrie.