Channel 4 Educating Yorkshire

Comments

• daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    My God, this programme is highlighting almost everything that is wrong with schools. I thought the school I went to was bad, but I guess it wasn't just my imagination. The headteacher seems to care just about his own image and nothing else

Thing is, they focus on the kids with issues which gives the impression its generally in total disarray.

But if you look at how the majority of the kids function, its quite normal. I like the fact they're allowed to, and are able to, coherently express opinions without being shouted down - schooling in the 80s when I was that age was never like that.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When did the whole school prom and 'Thank you teacher' stuff begin?:confused: It didn't exist in my day.:o
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Glad Jac's gone on to do well.

Same, and can't believe she got 13 GCSEs :eek:
  • di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    etamine wrote: »
    I wonder if people on this thread realise that laying down the law with Georgia is the hard route. If they're having exams and booking cars now, it's probably January at this point. They've got 5 months left of her, and it's easier to just half arse it with her since she's not going to change in 5 months if she hasn't done it in 5 months.

and the emotional scars she will inflict on others in that time will last a f***ing lifetime!!!! don't mean to be rude, but GET REAL!
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    The headteacher talks to Georgia like she's his mate :rolleyes:

All the kids walk in and out of the Head's office like it's a broom cupboard. When I was at school the headteacher had respect, because they earned it,

When I was at school you weren't even allowed to walk along the corridor where the offices were, without being called up there, never mind popping in to see the head whenever you felt like it.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iNCY wrote: »
    13 GCSEs?!

what it doesn't say is what grade they were
  • GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 GCSEs?!

Didn't give the grades she go for them.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    what it doesn't say is what grade they were

Or what subjects
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel a sudden urge to play, 'I don't like Mondays'.

:mad:
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    13 GCSEs?!
    I know I only got 10!
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    When I was at school you weren't even allowed to walk along the corridor where the offices were, without being called up there, never mind popping in to see the head whenever you felt like it.

Precisely!

I know I sound really old, but with no discipline at home, and no discipline at school, where is it all going to end?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Ok so I agree 100% zero acceptance of violence no question BUT if he has to apply this rule why the hell wasn't Georgia excluded straight away for stamping on Jac Henry's head?

Because she's a card innit, a rough diamond, coz she deserves another chance.
    That is the extent of the Headteacher's retarded reasoning.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    13 GCSEs?!

Probably all low grades and then doing the stereotypical hairdressing course which seems to be the default for girls like her.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveyfs wrote: »
    Yes, I agree - mild but definite issues with social functioning.

I also think Georgia has what these days is called learning difficulties... in the past I reckon she'd have been thought to be 'a bit simple'.

Sorry I can't agree with you about Georgia, I would say she is lazy and has had no parental direction at home which leaves the teachers with an almost impossible task.s he doesn't want to learn and I think that if Jac got 11 GCSEs and he was classed as a swot and she got 13, hers must be grade D and below!
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    Interesting how all the kids featured just happened to be wearing radio mics, can't be that spontaneous.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Mitchell didn't do himself any favours out of tonight's programme.

The way he looked at Georgia was rather creepy when he informed her that she wouldn't be attending the school prom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Probably all low grades and then doing the stereotypical hairdressing course which seems to be the default for girls like her.
    What they do t realise is that hairdressing and beauty therapy actually requires some science knowledge. I used to interview teenagers who wanted to do it. They thought it was all pink and fluffy. When I used to ask" so did you enjoy chemistry / biology/ creative studies" they would look at me blankly, not a clue. The drop out rate on those courses used to be massive and I suspect not much will have changed
  • Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see teachers are still as rubbish about sorting out bullying as they were when I was at school 18 years ago! There's something very uncomfortable about what I'm seeing in this program, teachers trying to be the teens friends rather than educator and disciplinarian, teens sat around texting and chatting in class and being allowed to treat school as some sort of youth club! I can't believe how many teens on the cusp of leaving that school speak like village idiots. Now it's more important than ever that schools keep strict standards like days gone by as too many of them kids are going home to slob parents that are vegetating in front of Jeremy Kyle with a bottle of white lightning and pouch of drum baccy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised the local authority would even let Channel 4 do this it was hardly going to show the school in a good light.
  • belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Yep all D and E grades possibly

Or a bunch of BTECs worth 4 GCSEs each...
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only did 11 GCSEs, did well at college, did well at University and now have a good job.

I'd love to know what the bloody hell she did 13 GCSEs in because I don't subscribe to the "easier these days crap."
  • Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georgia mentioned she was off to her "health and social" lesson - a "health and social care" GCSE isn't exactly Maths is it!
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    belomb wrote: »
    Or a bunch of BTECs worth 4 GCSEs each...
    Re BTEC - do they still do the National Diploma? Equivalent to 2 A-levels? I did that one at Exeter College - Computing before I went and did my HND/degree...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see teachers are still as rubbish about sorting out bullying as they were when I was at school 18 years ago! There's something very uncomfortable about what I'm seeing in this program, teachers trying to be the teens friends rather than educator and disciplinarian, teens sat around texting and chatting in class and being allowed to treat school as some sort of youth club! I can't believe how many teens on the cusp of leaving that school speak like village idiots. Now it's more important than ever that schools keep strict standards like days gone by as too many of them kids are going home to slob parents that are vegetating in front of Jeremy Kyle with a bottle of white lightning and pouch of drum baccy!

Part of that is down to Ofsted and their trendy ideas.
    Get rid of Ofsted, allow teachers to teach.give them back the powers to discipline without the fear of exclusion figures. Get rid of all this consulting with the pupils, pupil counsels, for goodness sake in my OH school they even had sixth formers on the interview panel for new staff a few years ago! The teachers are far too tied up with red tape and what Ofsted want to actually teach.
    No wonder kids don't have respect for teachers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Georgia mentioned she was off to her "health and social" lesson - a "health and social care" GCSE isn't exactly Maths is it!

Do they do these type of lessons in 'normal' schools now too? I know academies usually have some quirkier lessons.