Can I cook spaghetti in chicken stock instead of just water?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If so, do I just use the same amount of stock and follow the same procedure as I would with just water?

I usually feel a saucepan up to just past half way when I cook spaghetti with water, so do I just use the same amount of chicken stock? Obviously the stock will have already been made, so I'd just pour it into the saucepan, wait for it to boil, then chuck the spaghetti in and simmer?

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course you could !

Seems a bit of a waste of stock though........
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see reason why you can but the real question is why ?
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I don't see reason why you can but the real question is why ?

^This?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    If so, do I just use the same amount of stock and follow the same procedure as I would with just water?

I usually feel a saucepan up to just past half way when I cook spaghetti with water, so do I just use the same amount of chicken stock? Obviously the stock will have already been made, so I'd just pour it into the saucepan, wait for it to boil, then chuck the spaghetti in and simmer?

Yes you can, you could cook it in coca cola if you wanted, but why would you cook it in anything other than salted water?
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through a phase of chucking a veg stock cube in when I was boiling pasta. If you're using a chicken stock cube you can just crumble that into the boiling water before adding the spaghetti.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Yes you can, you could cook it in coca cola if you wanted, but why would you cook it in anything other than salted water?

Most stock cube stocks are pretty much just salt and flavouring anyway. I've cooked pasta in vegetable stock before and it does impart some flavour, but really only salt.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't want salted water for spaghetti, imo.
    just water.

cheffy chefs use too much salt or "seasoning"
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just water.

and Italians! wot do they know anyway :(
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    just water.

You do need salt, you need salt for more or less every food going, even quite a few desserts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can but if you are thinking this will be like a home made version of supernoodles it won't be. It's a waste of stock / stock cube.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the topic of cooking stuff in something other than water though - rice cooked in red wine is amazing. :D