Why do some people say that a deceased person has 'passed'?

Comments

• NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Passed away' sounds much more peaceful and tasteful.
    'Oh, I heard your Nan passed away' sounds a lot more respectful than 'Oh, I heard your Nan's dead'.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    It's another Americanism isn't it? The correct use of the euphemism is 'passed away', but it's been trivialised / Americanised / abbreviated to 'passed'. Awful term.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    That's the sort of stuff I don't like, they are presuming that the person they are talking too believes in all of that stuff. Why would anyone find it difficult to just say that someone had died?

When someone's loved relative has just died, it's not about what you like. When my fiance died, quite frankly the last thing I cared about was how our friends and neighbours would react to the words I used. As a Pagan, I do believe in some of 'that stuff' and don't care whether the people I'm talking to believe it or not.

Bereaved people have more on their mind than working out how to phrase the news.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a euphemism - personally, I don't like it and prefer to simply say dead - I understand that some people don't feel comfortable with that.
    I particularly dislike seeing 'gone to sleep' used. I'd hate to go to their house and have a bit of a snooze - who knows what might happen.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer 'passed away'. (

I think 'passed' is just the short version of 'passed away'.

I do not like 'passed' much.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Passed away is less blunt than dead, and everyone knows what it means.

My grandmother, however, used to talk of the day she lost her youngest child, and for years I didn't realise the child had died.
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never dream of saying anything rude such as that, I would just say that my mum had died.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Are your parents still alive?

Yes, but they're both pretty old @ 86 and realistically don't have very long left until they die. Why do you ask?
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me cringe "passed away" - just say dead/died

It's like "make love" - just say sex/shag
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been able to work out why some people beat around the bush and say that a person who died has 'passed', what ever that means.

It means the person has passed over into the afterlife.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Oh, I heard your Nan passed away' sounds a lot more respectful than 'Oh, I heard your Nan's dead'.
    Well yeah, because who would say the latter? You'd say 'I heard your Nan has died'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means the person has passed over into the afterlife.

So mumbo jumbo then? I don't believe in any afterlife and much prefer polite, straight talk.

In my opinion people who say passed, or passed away should be less timid & embarrassed when confronting the bereaved. We all die eventually.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    The same obvious reason anybody uses any euphemism.. ? :confused:

Exactly. It's just a more "kind" way of saying someone's died without being blunt about it and, as has been mentioned, it was more common during the days when religion paid a more prominent part of daily life.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    It's a euphemism - personally, I don't like it and prefer to simply say dead - I understand that some people don't feel comfortable with that.
    I particularly dislike seeing 'gone to sleep' used. I'd hate to go to their house and have a bit of a snooze - who knows what might happen.

You sometimes see 'fell asleep' on gravestones. It always makes me think they'll have a bit of a shock when they wake up.

I dislike both 'passed away' and 'passed', the latter more so. They both seem mealy-mouthed and meaningless, especially if you really don't think they have gone anywhere.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

^^^^^^^^^ This.

It's a more polite way of saying dead.

My husband always uses the words, "passed on", but I hate that. Passed on to where? Passed away is much nicer and a less brutal way of saying "dead".
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    So mumbo jumbo then? I don't believe in any afterlife and much prefer polite, straight talk.

In my opinion people who say passed, or passed away should be less timid & embarrassed when confronting the bereaved. We all die eventually.

Its not mumbo jumbo its just one of them things that have been said for years when i think more people belived in the after life. Most people i have ever met know what passed away means, because you dont belive in the after life that is your choice, same as i dont belive in it but still use the term passed away
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

Hello Paulie, sorry to hear that your loved one is dead.

Your choice but too blunt for my liking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^ This.

It's a more polite way of saying dead.

My husband always uses the words, "passed on", but I hate that. Passed on to where? Passed away is much nicer and a less brutal way of saying "dead".

Call it what you like, they're still dead
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead is dead. The reality is the same no matter how you try to dress it up.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always say passed away. Not too sure why, but to say "X has died" just sounds so blunt? Especially to people you don't know too well.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,640
    Forum Member
    My dad didn't "pass away" from cancer. He most definitely died from it. There was nothing peaceful and gentle about the way he died. It was drawn out, painful and horrific.

I can't stand "passed away" and other euphemisms. The person died. They're dead. It happens to all of us in the end.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    My dad didn't "pass away" from cancer. He most definitely died from it. There was nothing peaceful and gentle about the way he died. It was drawn out, painful and horrific.

I can't stand "passed away" and other euphemisms. The person died. They're dead. It happens to all of us in the end.

Indeed. And not many deaths are actually peaceful and just "passing away" - death is brutal and we're all going to face it so if people can't even say the word dead then they are in for a shock when they are facing it.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Why do they always say it was quiet and peaceful? I witnessed an elderly woman a few beds down from my Nan die in her sleep, well it started in her sleep and ended in the most intense rasping, clawing at the air and begging not to die. My Nan said later that they told the family she went peacefully in her sleep.

When some old lady my mum knew died we went to the home, mum was asked if she wanted to see her body, me being curious/nosy said yes we did. Christ almighty, I so wish I hadnt. Looking at her there was NOTHING peaceful about the way she passed. That image is now stuck in my head forever :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    I think its just a gentler way of saying someone has died, popped their clogs or snuffed it

..popped their clogs is weird though..wtf does that even mean..how does one pop a clog ?
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    ..popped their clogs is weird though..wtf does that even mean..how does one pop a clog ?

It means you've sold the deceased's shoes as far as I recall. From the days of clogs on cobbles..you could hardly hear yourself coughing-up blood.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,640
    Forum Member
    It means you've sold the deceased's shoes as far as I recall. From the days of clogs on cobbles..you could hardly hear yourself coughing-up blood.

I can remember when pants WERE pants. You wore them for forty years and then cut them up for pan scrubs.

Someone's been watching Victoria Wood...