Options

The Need to change clocks back and fourth

Comments

• Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Which is ridiculous, would they say the same if it was the USA who we did most business with

It's really not a valid argument at all, is it?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really not a valid argument at all, is it?

Its as valid as some of the reasons for changing things from how they are.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    I change my clocks back and forth, I change my clocks back and forth.

:D:D lool
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Its for farmers and children going to school - if the clocks were left alone it would be about 09.30am before significant sunlight in the heart of winter... its fine the way it is really.

They could just go to school an hour later (on the clock) in winter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    They could just go to school an hour later (on the clock) in winter.

So we would change the clocks then to fit in with that we change everything for that period it affects us to be the same as it was, so really just easier to leave it as it is.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Which is ridiculous, would they say the same if it was the USA who we did most business with
    They have that many time zones in the US we'd be changing them every day.

http://www.timetemperature.com/time-zone-maps/united-states-time-zone-map.gif
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we would change the clocks then to fit in with that we change everything for that period it affects us to be the same as it was, so really just easier to leave it as it is.

Could you re-word that please? I'm not understanding the flow of your sentence. :blush:

I am playing devil's advocate in a way, now to take it to an extreme level we could have one worldwide time and if people are getting up at 9pm because that's when it's light where they are then so be it. You could just make local adjustments to what time stuff starts including adjustments for winter/summer.

I am actually perfectly happy with the current system.

Edit: Apparently China has 1 time zone, the kids just start school earlier (on the clock) in some parts of the country compared to others.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be awful. The sun wouldn't rise until well after 9am in winter and it would still be daylight at 11pm in June, and for those further north than here it would be even worse.

Yeah well, where I live in Scotland, it already doesn't get dark till 11pm in mid summer, so that change would take that to midnight.

TBH I would be quite happy for it to stay on GMT all year round, but it wouldn't make much difference to me one way or the other.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the lobby that wants to make it light this late has no idea how many people have to go to bed at 10ish to be up in time for work the next day. You need look no further than TV ratings to see the drop in viewing figures after 10 p.m. for proof of this. It would be absurd to have it still light outside after a sizeable proportion of the population has gone to bed.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This weekend the clocks go forward for BST so end of winter and hello spring and maybe summer but why do we do this every yr

also do we need to change clocks every yr i mean really what the use or point cant we stick to one time change also other countries in the east dont do it only the western world

it's a sign of great technological advancement being able to synchronise our behaviour, rather than just gauging the time of the day from the sun.
    it's a Western thing, I think.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Doctor Who supposed to do this whole 'time-meddle' thing?

It means i have to drag out about 50 instruction manuals from the cupboard, as all these blinkin clocks will need changing, and it's been at least 6 months since i last did it... and i've forgotten
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Could you re-word that please? I'm not understanding the flow of your sentence. :blush:

I am playing devil's advocate in a way, now to take it to an extreme level we could have one worldwide time and if people are getting up at 9pm because that's when it's light where they are then so be it. You could just make local adjustments to what time stuff starts including adjustments for winter/summer.

I am actually perfectly happy with the current system.

Edit: Apparently China has 1 time zone, the kids just start school earlier (on the clock) in some parts of the country compared to others.

You said basically if the clocks changed and if we don't want kids to go to school in the dark we could change school hours to an hour later for the period that it covered which would mean finishing an hour later . I said that that means basically we change everything ( as working hours would change to fit in round kids schools etc ) to fit in with the new time so we may as well leave it as it is now as we would be no better off really.

Like you I am perfectly happy with the status quo.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How lovely of David Cameron to remind us on twitter
    ---
    UK Prime Minister ‏@Number10gov 23m
    RT @Fire_Kills The clocks go forward this weekend. Don’t forget to test your smoke alarms when you change your clocks. #TickTockTest
    ---
    Stop telling people what they should be doing please, and get on with running the country. Thanks.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    ..and not only would it be dark at 9 a.m. (or later) in mid-winter, this would also be the case in October, just before we put the clocks back. Sunrise in the UK would move beyond 7 a.m. in the second half of August, meaning it would still be dark at 7 a.m. by mid-September.

Let's make sure this never happens.
    Nigel Farage and UKIP will ensure it'll never happen. They'll declare any move to CET in the UK as more interference from the EU and start a campaign to keep our time British. Wouldn't surprise me if they campaigned for British Summer Time to be renamed British Empire Summer Time just to be awkward.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BST all year round wouldn't suit us in the north of England. It would still be dark at 9am in the winter. I don't think it would be good for those in the west either so that just leaves the south east who it would suit. There's a surprise.

Eh ? :confused: Surely you're not alluding that all people in the South East are selfishly thinking of themselves and not giving a toss to the rest of the country ? That would be quite some misguided comment to make if you were.

I live in Hampshire and I wouldn't want to see the current system changed. I think it's fine the way it is.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should keep it the way it is now all year around.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    Eh ? :confused: Surely you're not alluding that all people in the South East are selfishly thinking of themselves and not giving a toss to the rest of the country ? That would be quite some misguided comment to make if you were.

I live in Hampshire and I wouldn't want to see the current system changed. I think it's fine the way it is.

No, not everyone in the south east, just those in Westminster.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Well if Scotland becomes independent maybe they can have their own time zone. Would that work?

It would really screw up train timetables for example.

It's good the UK is on the one time zone, e.g. GMT or BST.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BST all year round wouldn't suit us in the north of England. It would still be dark at 9am in the winter. I don't think it would be good for those in the west either so that just leaves the south east who it would suit. There's a surprise.

And most people I know down here are quite happy with things as they are
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not another ****ing thread
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should keep it the way it is now all year around.

That would mean 3am sunrise in June, which would be a pointless waste of daylight.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The clocks go back and forward?
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    The clocks go back and forward?

Yeah the ones with wheels when the alarm goes off you have to chase it round the room :D

An hour here or there makes no difference to us, I cant win, dark going to school in winter mornings dark coming home. Now I wake at 5am naturally as its getting light, so light in morning and afternoon, it will just be an hour later, so getting up at 6am next week, Just lose an hour of farting about in the morning at this seasonal crossroads!

:D
  • Options
    pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I for one can not wait until until Sunday. In particular the lighter evening. Weather permitting and once the kids are in bed I shall be going for a run up in the hills enjoying the extra hour of daylight at a more convenient time of day rather than 5am - 6am.

All this discussion of natural time zone is irrelevant, what is important is what fits in with our lives. If we wish to live by a natural time zone then we should be sleeping during the most number of dark hour which, for all parts of the year, are 8pm until 4am. We do not live our lives like this, hence our time zone should fit in with what is best with our lives.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just set your clocks half way between the two.

You'll either be 30 minutes early or thirty minutes late!