Bought trousers but security tag still on

shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few weeks ago I bought a pair of trousers from Sainsburys or possibly Tesco lol. forgot all about them then decided to wear them yesterday. Surprisingly the security tag is still on as seemingly the cashier forgot to take it off.
Problem is I have no idea where my receipt is. So if I take it back to the store how believable would my story be if I told them to take the tag off but I don't have receipt.
Strange thing is I have no idea whether I bought them from Sainsburys or Tesco. The label or price tag doesn't make it obvious.

I'm stuck!!! Help :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a top once from River Island that still had the tags on. I set the alarm off as i left the store but didn't think anything of it. I put the top on and wore it out once without realising I must have looked a total idiot!!:blush: Luckily after i wore it once i realised. I took it back to the store to get the tag removed but i had the receipt. Not sure what you can do without the receipt :confused:
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's puzzling is why the store alarm didn't go off as I walked out. I guess the only thing I can do is try my luck and explain to them and see what they say, and hope I don't get accused of stealing
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're from Tesco the label will be F&F, Sainsburys will be Tu.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Try both shops look up the store info online and phone them explaining the situation. You could go to customer services and say when you bought them and did you pay in card or cash?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I've cut forgotten tags off before now with my electrical snips.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    Try both shops look up the store info online and phone them explaining the situation. You could go to customer services and say when you bought them and did you pay in card or cash?

That's a point. I paid by card. Although I bought other things I will be able to figure out which store by the credit card statement.

I'll take a copy of the statement with me hopefully that will be enough
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    That's a point. I paid by card. Although I bought other things I will be able to figure out which store by the credit card statement.

I think they would already believe you but the statement will make it certain. If you had managed to get tagged stuff out of the shop without setting off the alarm you wouldn't be coming back and drawing attention to yourself.
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »

If you paid by card Tesco will be able to find your receipt. They have done in the past with me so I would imagine Sainsbury's would also be able to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've twice brought home a bottle of booze with the tag on: it is the curse of self-service checkouts, where the staff member just strolls across and authorises your purchase without remembering the tag. It never even occurred to me that there would be a problem. I put the bottle in a carrier bag and, once in the shop, went to customer services, not stopping on the way to potter through the booze department. They can see that you have done nothing but walk through the door and to the counter. In the case of the OP, they can do the same (once they have identified the shop) - as long as they don't take a detour through the trouser department on the way to customer services they are ok. Actually I can't think of a supermarket where you even have to pass any shopping, except perhaps the cigarette counter, before you get to customer services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    If they're from Tesco the label will be F&F, Sainsburys will be Tu.

thanks.

The label is F&F. Will call up Tesco's to make sure theres no confusion or false accusations when I walk in to the store :)