Have I Got News For You - Series 47

Comments

• Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roisin Conaty has nothing to say on anything. Clueless.
    Farage is there to be got at.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This host seems a bit of a knob. Who is he?
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stephen Managan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKIP Nigel Farage allowed to appear on these :-)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stephen Manghan is a lot of knob. Roisin Conarty watch, halfway through and no meaningfull input.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Manghan is a lot of knob. Roisin Conarty watch, halfway through and no meaningfull input.

Is he, I thought he was quite funny, and umm why are you watching Roisin and not the others?

Fartage just looked a bit out of his depth here, didn't offer any defence for his idiotic party members, just shrugged and laughed.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Stephen Managan
    Stephen Manghan
    Third time lucky. Mangan.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the Kay Burley clip, absolute classic.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen an audience member taking a photo during the end credits before. Very funny!
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    UKIP Nigel Farage allowed to appear on these :-)

Yep. The BBC think they can ridicule him, but he's too chummy with Hislop and effectively bulletproof. It's another boost to his popularity I've no doubt.
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen an audience member taking a photo during the end credits before. Very funny!

I've seen one stand up and put his coat on before. :)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come the Fxxx wasnt bleeped out? and wasnt the "Tossing" joke a bit near the knuckle, surprised that was allowed in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Brilliant stuff.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    How come the Fxxx wasnt bleeped out? and wasnt the "Tossing" joke a bit near the knuckle, surprised that was allowed in.

The only fxxxing I remember was in Mangan's script so it would have been a bit odd to bleep it out. It seemed to be a desperate and somewhat OTT attempt to liven up a feeble point about the media fuss over a baby and it went down like the proverbial lead balloon.

The "tossing" joke, as Hislop remarked and Merton confirmed, was one of Max Miller's from 70+ years ago so I think modern audiences can cope without reaching for the smelling-salts.

They really scraped the barrel with the most popular numbers question. It's the sort of thing I might expect in an extended repeat but had no place in the main edit when there's so much else of interest going on in the world.

I thought Farage did okay as he knew what he was in for and he took it mostly in good part.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    I've seen one stand up and put his coat on before. :)

Followed by Merton's credits dance :p
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Nigel Farage came across quite well I thought and took all of the ribbing with very good grace - and they weren't particularly easy on him. Let's face it, he would have known what to expect going on there. I think all in all a good result for him. I was critical of Paul Merton last week, but he didn't make any comment against Nigel or UKIP that I recall.

The blonde girl was a bit daft - but it worked somehow as I quite liked her.

BTW, I thought Jenifer Saunders was excellent the other week,
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

Even Stephen Mangan. Try and get people's names right at the very least!:(
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

No more than this dreadful news presenter deserves - she's on LBC 97.3 now, apparently.
  • glorafinglorafin Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Hislop chummy with Farage? I didn't get exactly that impression. He was doing what he always does, which is having a go at the political guest while keeping an affable smile. To my recollection, the only time he lost his cool and let his opinion appear is when Alistair Campbell was the host.

But yes, fair play to Farage that, even though he contributed almost nothing to the show took everything in stride.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All in all a good show with a lot of laughs. NF was a good sport to appear and RC added some good lines too.
    Certainly better than some of the crap the show has served up. *cough* Ray Winston*cough*:D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member

Sure I saw someone doing it during the titles last week, but they weren't as obvious as the person this week using a tablet of some kind.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    You don't get that many 'attractive' male guests appearing on this show, so you're not as likely to get as many comments of that kind from women.

I noticed on an earlier thread that Damien Lewis got a few comments from female posters about being a smoothie and a sweetheart. Dan Snow got the odd comment as well - and may have got one or two more, had he not been a total arse.

Go to the Graham Norton thread, and there're plenty of female posters who're praising Russell Crowe for things other than his acting ability...

Many of us tend to like good-looking members of the opposite sex. It's not our fault that women have so many little tricks and assets that allow them to increase their attractiveness several-fold...

I agreed with your whole post until I got to the last sentence. I'm going to assume that was tongue-in-cheek :D
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glorafin wrote: »
    But yes, fair play to Farage that, even though he contributed almost nothing to the show took everything in stride.

Well, he did jump straight in and solve the odd one out round, perhaps too quickly for the others to milk it for laughs.
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    glorafin wrote: »
    Hislop chummy with Farage? I didn't get exactly that impression. He was doing what he always does, which is having a go at the political guest while keeping an affable smile. To my recollection, the only time he lost his cool and let his opinion appear is when Alistair Campbell was the host.

I think Nigel Farage played it pretty well overall. Wouldn't be wise to play Hislop and Merton at their own game - most people normally come off second best when they try that!
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the program in general has lost it's way in recent years, many of the guest hosts are rubbish.
    I thought Farage did OK, he knew exactly what he was letting himself in for and would not have been surprised in the slightest by the treatment he got.
    I thought he took it all in his stride and at least he had the guts to go on there.