Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I hate when people call me hun, like I'm not your honey, now buzz off>:(
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I love all terms of endearment, and Darling being one of my favourites. My only complaint is when someone younger than me says it to me which then becomes a bit patronising.

Although I can't stand being called dear and "luv" just sounds too common. And "Hun" is painstakingly cringingly awful.

And lastly, I feel sad that the term "duck" "duckie" "meducks" seems to be on the way out now. My nan used to call me that, and I think that in ten or twenty years time there won't be anyone alive who would still be using that expression :(
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ball is a total luvvie and as insincere as you would wish
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    Do you mind being called 'Darling' by total strangers? I was listening to Michael Ball on Radio Two and was surprised to hear him call the traffic lady 'darling'. I've noticed him do this on several occasions and it makes me cringe. OK, so he's not exactly a stranger to her but it just seems a bit out of place.

There's a woman who serves in our local village shop who calls everyone 'my darling' and I hate it!! Am I being over sensitive? Is it because neither my parents or close relatives never used that term of affection? :(

Yes, you are being overly sensitive.

There's no harm in people being friendly. It's something the world needs more of, not less.

Get a grip
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I rather like it. I find it can put one of these ---> :) on my face.

Yeah it is nice to be called darling does make me :D
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackadder: Hello, Darling.
    Captain Darling to you, Blackadder
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    What about 'sugar tits'? That's ok, isn't it?

What about 'sweet potato pie'?

I sometimes say that.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happens here all the time in the North-East. It's just friendliness. Imagine life without these little things, if everyone was formal to each other it would be very dull.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit theatrical
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people in our US office sometimes say "Ma'am" - not sure if I like it or hate it !
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    It's a bit theatrical

Depends on the accent I expect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's just being nice.

The only thing that annoys me is when random men tell me to smile. One even said "smile!"..... "no, that's a fake smile."

Well of course it is?! >:(
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to call people "dear" in a really patronising tone. 😑

It doesn't bother me, people don't mean anything by it, they are being nice, so why should I get upset about it?
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never use familiarisms myself with strangers, I am too phish LOL, but I have to say I like it when others use them - in a nice way, of course, as in, hello my darling, what can I get for you, not like as in when a patronising guy says to an angry feminist, get over yourself, luv!

I think I like it more these days because I travel so much, and also where I live in London, almost everyone in retail and hospitality is foreign and doesn't use these old fashioned English terms of affection. It's just nice to hear them and to feel people are being nice to each other.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    It's a bit theatrical

That's why I like it. It's a bit arch and silly/affectionate - a bit funny.

I use it a fair bit, I don't think I've offended anyone, but you have to be careful how and to whom you say it.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love to be called 'darling'.

It's my favourite endearment. I think it's lovely. :)
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    I hate when people call me hun, like I'm not your honey, now buzz off>:(

I don't like "hun" as it's often used in a really fake or sarcastic manner, at least on the internet.
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like darling, absolutely seriously detest babe & hun.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i call people darling all the time.

edit: that`s darlinG not darlin.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I love it, especially when I'm having a bad day and some cheery chap addresses me as darling. There's nothing wrong with an endearment, and I'd never get my knickers in a knot about it.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Op best not go to the West Country on holiday, she'd be apoplectic with rage by the time she came home.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind "darling" or "dear" or, as is common where I live, "hen" but I seriously can't stand "babe" which has been creeping in lately.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Do you mind being called 'Darling' by total strangers? I was listening to Michael Ball on Radio Two and was surprised to hear him call the traffic lady 'darling'. I've noticed him do this on several occasions and it makes me cringe. OK, so he's not exactly a stranger to her but it just seems a bit out of place.

There's a woman who serves in our local village shop who calls everyone 'my darling' and I hate it!! Am I being over sensitive? Is it because neither my parents or close relatives never used that term of affection? :(

I couldn't care less.

Beats "yeah ?", a dirty look, or just being blanked by the shop staff in question.

Woman in local shop down the road from me, calls everyone "my love", with a smile. and often has a bit of a chat - I just take it as a gesture of pleasant friendliness, not that anyone she serves is actually "her love".

There is a bloke who sometimes serves there who looks as though it's too much trouble to do anything. Dirty look, something like, "£3.50 mate" is all he will say, and no thank you or goodbye.

A lot round here call people "babe" as well. That doesn't bother me either,
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in Norfolk you are addressed as Darlin' all the time by real Norfolk people. It is particularly prevalent in Norwich itself.

I would far rather be called that than Hun or Mate, both of which are not regional, just cringeworthy.

Older Norfolk people might address you as "my woman" or "my man" and I like to hear that.
  • Options
    LuverlyAJLuverlyAJ Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Yes m'duck. You are.

I agree lovely :)