Options

Parking Mad - BBC1 - 2100 - 17/04/14

Comments

• Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Bob is a bit of a nut case . I agree it must be annoying , but no one breaking the law parking in his road . He should get onto the council and get residents parking bays. I agree commuters should not have to pay to park and use the train , or it should be a nominal charge of say. £1 a day .

A lot of them probably have a very well paid job in the City and can afford the parking but refuse to pay it.
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie is rather nice...
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those bailiffs who are stood on the corner stopping cars are nothing more than legalised muggers!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Next time...", they must be joking, this is a 4 part series? I thought it was a one off.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't have to pay over £500 if you paid the original £65, own fault tbh.

Yeah its a 4 parter :D
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela F wrote: »
    Those bailiffs who are stood on the corner stopping cars are nothing more than legalised muggers!

The problem is, like the last woman, that their original fine should have been paid but because they ignored it, now they owe many times more.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie is rather nice...

I would.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting show, seen quite afew on the subject before. I feel for the residents by the train station but look at it both ways, as a commuter and driver leaving their car there they aren't doing anything wrong however it can understand it must be frustrating for residents not bring able to park outside their own home, I do however think that the residents are probably very much a "not in my back yard" kinda gang and wouldn't feel so strongly if it weren't on their road. I did feel pleased for the old man, I think with cases like that I do genuinely think he made an honest mistake, the guy with the blue can and refusing to pay was clearly playing the system. It's difficult really, I can see both sides of it
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The traffic wardens and council staff really don't help their cause with all the gloating and exhibiting such glee.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen it all before.... same old same old. Is there nothing new they could put on fitting of a holiday weekend?

Bit like a re-hashing of The Clampers shown on TV some years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Was the guy claiming to be disabled, who then carried a table football setup one handed?

I thought it was his wife/partner who was the disabled one. I don't actually remember him saying that he was disabled himself, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Bob is a bit of a nut case . I agree it must be annoying , but no one breaking the law parking in his road . He should get onto the council and get residents parking bays. I agree commuters should not have to pay to park and use the train , or it should be a nominal charge of say. £1 a day .

I agree, he seemed to be short of something to do with himself to make such a fuss about people parking there. I would imagine that the residents have their own garages so why don't they park in them and stop being so mean to other people. We always have to park in our garages as we have double yellow lines in the front of our house.

I thought the old woman with the two little yappy dogs was a misery who seemed to be constantly moaning and kept repeating the words "bl**dy disgusting" all the time, like a tape loop.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't believe the arrogance of the people in the Sussex village. It's a public road, they don't own it, and they've no more rights over it than anyone else has.

If the commuters were coming in at around 06:30, where were the cars of those who "couldn't park their own cars in front of their houses"?

And when they decided to block the use of the road, where were the cars they used normally parked?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Actually I see it from both sides.

1. Councils are just abusing it to make money. They also do it for unreasonable reasons.
    2. No one is fined unless they break a rule. Why is it that motorists feel that they should be able to decide that it doesn't apply only to them?

So councils should only apply reasonable rules reasonably and also not charge an enormous amount and then carry on hiking it up and up if someone is late paying.

And motorists should get their heads around that they can't just park where they want and obey the rules set out. And if they fail to do so, they should expect what they get.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    I would.

I think I have, she looks very familiar.:blush:
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand the locals being upset, but the commuters have every right to park there. I think charging to park at a train station is disgusting. We're encouraged to use public transport, but they are determined to make us pay through the nose for it.

Yes, but if the train station was free, it would be full up, wouldn't it? plus it would attract untaxed/uninsured cars. then only the first few could park.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    We used to have a problem in our street with non-residents parking in our street so the council introduced a residents parking scheme - stopped the problem immediately

We didn't have a parking problem, council introduced resident's parking, only time it's hard to park is in the evenings and Sunday's when everyone's visiting, and it isn't 'active'
    Solved buggerall.
    I didn't watch the show btw.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't have a parking problem, council introduced resident's parking, only time it's hard to park is in the evenings and Sunday's when everyone's visiting, and it isn't 'active'
    Solved buggerall.
    I didn't watch the show btw.

[BIB] ....which is exactly what Councils excel at (as this program aptly showed) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Yes, but if the train station was free, it would be full up, wouldn't it? plus it would attract untaxed/uninsured cars. then only the first few could park.

They could just charge a nominal amount, say £1 a day. It is awful that stations charge so much for parking when train fares are so expensive anyway.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    A problem with having free car parks for things like railway stations, hospitals etc, is that people will abuse them and park there without using those premises. Supermarkets have the same problem and have to restrict time spent parking there.

Bailiffs using ANPR and stopping cars on the road didn't seem right at all. Go to people's homes to collect the debt.

The old guy situation seemed just silly. He had a current valid permit but wasn't displaying that he had a current valid permit. Issuing the ticket was correct, but they should have cancelled it when he showed that he did have a current valid permit.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    A problem with having free car parks for things like railway stations, hospitals etc, is that people will abuse them and park there without using those premises. Supermarkets have the same problem and have to restrict time spent parking there.

I've known supermarkets charge for parking, but then redeem the price if you actually buy stuff in the shop. I'm sure the railway could do the same.
    Hospitals are a different thing, but I'd question whether people really do park at hospitals if they are not using the services or visiting patients - I've seen extortionate parking charges at hospitals where there is nothing else in the locality that people would be parking up for.
  • Options
    TreelopperTreelopper Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've known supermarkets charge for parking, but then redeem the price if you actually buy stuff in the shop. I'm sure the railway could do the same.
    Hospitals are a different thing,
    but I'd question whether people really do park at hospitals if they are not using the services or visiting patients - I've seen extortionate parking charges at hospitals where there is nothing else in the locality that people would be parking up for.

I would question why anybody would park in the railway station car park if they weren't catching a train? It's in a rural village, didn't you listen to that pretentious git they interviewed? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Hospitals are a different thing, but I'd question whether people really do park at hospitals if they are not using the services or visiting patients - I've seen extortionate parking charges at hospitals where there is nothing else in the locality that people would be parking up for.

That charge and redeem business is a faff as far as I'm concerned, have to spend a certain amount, faff about at customer services etc.
    Bring your journey ticket to the office along with your pay and display ticket, just a faff and another job for ticket office staff.

Railways, they usually own the land, so it's all gravy after a while, enough to cover the cost of maintenance, tarmacing etc and an attendant to issue tickets.
    Roving attendant, rides the train up and down the line checking the carparks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Treelopper wrote: »
    I would question why anybody would park in the railway station car park if they weren't catching a train? It's in a rural village, didn't you listen to that pretentious git they interviewed? :D

The discussion has moved on, talking general terms, not the specifics of the place featured.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    LOL, i love watching programs like this, Its like a spoof comedy, with all the odd characters :D:D