Lorraine upset by news stories

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Oh dear.

You seem to think that repeating yourself over and over again is going to change something.

As you cannot seem to grasp the obvious by examining you past posts let me make it sufficiently easy that even a child of five could understand.

Talking about Lorraine's upset:

You said:

"She should not be so sensitive to criticism."

to which I responded:

"Ahh, the 'blame the victim' mentality. "

If you still cannot see the point you are beyond help. :rolleyes:

there you go!
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suziechan wrote: »
    there you go!

Well, if that just came out of the blue I would accept your point.

However, it actually came in response to someone childishly repeating "you have no point" over and over again where a more grown up poster would have actually explained what it was they objected to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However, it actually came in response to someone childishly repeating "you have no point" over and over again where a more grown up poster would have actually explained what it was they objected to.

i said can we all stop being so nasty. i'm not saying anyone is blameless, but your post that i quoted is really quite mean and personal.

there's no need for any of this animosity. we're discussing a tv programme for crying out loud!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don`t think Lorraine has been portrayed negatively....In fact, if anything she seems to have done pretty well so far and her likening to Cassandra by Margaret, showed her in a positive light.
    There were some quite nasty comments on You're Fired, eg comparing her to a Dementor who sucked all the energy and fun out of the tasks. I think she's had at least as rough a treatment as any other candidate this year, and worse than most.

People who go on programmes like this often turn out to have insecurities. Sometimes that's part of what drives them to succeed - and to seek public approval on TV. I was reading about Michelle's childhood the other day, for example:
    "When Michelle first had a boyfriend, the guy was very offhand with her (he used to go out for the evening and leave Michelle with his mum!) but Michelle had such low self esteem that she just enjoyed the fact that someone occasionally said he loved her; plus she enjoyed being in a normal, safe family environment."
    Which I wouldn't have thought from her performance in the show, where she seemed strong (and in my opinion, the rightful winner). Candidates are human.

The criticism in the press and here has gone way beyond her performance in the show. There have been cruel comments about her appearance here, for example. The swinger story was out of line, but many people here accepted it and that led to more cruel comments. Similarly with the story about her getting drunk during the show, which seemed to get more extreme with every re-telling. People used the press stories as hooks to say nasty things. Lorraine didn't court this in the way that, eg, Katie did a few years back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was not childishly repeating that "you have no point". I was actually replying to your posts saying that you don't have a point in each one of them.

These are the posts:
    All the candidates have been criticised. She should not be so sensitive to criticism. Ben has become a hate figure during his time in the apprentice and he took it on the chin. The same goes for Philip. Similarly Noorul must now be on the receiving end of alot of abuse from his students.

What annoys me is the "swinger" story. How can the press fabricate such a story? It doesn't only affect her, it affects her partner and her children :(.
    Ahh, the 'blame the victim' mentality. :rolleyes:

The other, equally obnoxious, side of the 'rush to litigation' mentality.
    I don't understand your point. More accurately, I don't believe that you hav a point here.

I was just stating my opinion on the article: They said that Lorraine was so upset that she considered suicide and from what I understood, they gave the following reasons:

1- The criticism and how she was edited in the show

2- The media attanetion and the swinger story.

I made it clear that she should not be so senstive to criticism. She is not the only one targeted. This should give her the assurance that she is not responsible for receiving it and therefore, should not take it personally. I also said that the swinger story must be the main reason why she is so affected by the whole thing.

I don't think your reply was particularly a nice way to criticise my opinion. I also didn't see your point. I didn't say that Lorraine should not be upset or wrong to be upset. I said that she should not be so sensitive to criticism to the extent she onsiders suicide. I also acknowledged that the swinger story was horrible and I can understand why she is deeply affected by it.
    That's evident, otherwise you wouldn't have said what you said that caused me to make it.
    Given that you clearly don't understand the point (although how it could be any clearer is a little bit of a mystery), I'm not surprise that is your belief. :)
    Again you don't have a point.

Again you were being rude. I said you don't have a point in saying the bold part in the post.
    Oh dear.

You seem to think that repeating yourself over and over again is going to change something.

As you cannot seem to grasp the obvious by examining you past posts let me make it sufficiently easy that even a child of five could understand.

Talking about Lorraine's upset:

You said:

"She should not be so sensitive to criticism."

to which I responded:

"Ahh, the 'blame the victim' mentality. "

If you still cannot see the point you are beyond help. :rolleyes:

There is no connection as far as I am concerned. I didn't blame her because she is upset. I also stated that she must be deeply affected by the swinger story. Again you were unnecessarily rude.

This is not the first time you reply to one of my posts without even trying to understand what I am saying!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    There were some quite nasty comments on You're Fired, eg comparing her to a Dementor who sucked all the energy and fun out of the tasks. I think she's had at least as rough a treatment as any other candidate this year, and worse than most.

People who go on programmes like this often turn out to have insecurities. Sometimes that's part of what drives them to succeed - and to seek public approval on TV. I was reading about Michelle's childhood the other day, for example:
    "When Michelle first had a boyfriend, the guy was very offhand with her (he used to go out for the evening and leave Michelle with his mum!) but Michelle had such low self esteem that she just enjoyed the fact that someone occasionally said he loved her; plus she enjoyed being in a normal, safe family environment."
    Which I wouldn't have thought from her performance in the show, where she seemed strong (and in my opinion, the rightful winner). Candidates are human.

The criticism in the press and here has gone way beyond her performance in the show. There have been cruel comments about her appearance here, for example. The swinger story was out of line, but many people here accepted it and that led to more cruel comments. Similarly with the story about her getting drunk during the show, which seemed to get more extreme with every re-telling. People used the press stories as hooks to say nasty things. Lorraine didn't court this in the way that, eg, Katie did a few years back.

Agreed. The arguments Lorraine was involved in and the criticism she received on the show from other candidates didn't seem to affect her that much. From what I saw she was able to stand up for herself in most occasions. However, the stories in the media were just out of order. I really hope that she will get herself together and be able to defend herself when she is out.
  • magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the stories are false then she can sue. However, there have been far greater stories in the press re some financial impropriety that she squarely responded to - why not this one?

I'm sorry but she must be living in some kind of naive parelell universe if for one second she thought be going on a show such as this would not rake up all and sundry about her. If it was me and there was even a scintilla of truth in it - I'd just own it - end of. Sometimes the more you resist it persists.

She must have known that anything revealed on the show, good or bad, would impact on her kids. Sorry but the horse has bolted.

I can't say she's the most likeable apprentice and she clearly seems to have 'issues' throughout the show. Its very easy to blame the show when - who knows - eating issues etc may have already been present prior.
  • Big PhilBig Phil Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but she must be living in some kind of naive parelell universe if for one second she thought be going on a show such as this would not rake up all and sundry about her. If it was me and there was even a scintilla of truth in it - I'd just own it - end of. Sometimes the more you resist it persists.

There is, however, a vast difference between things from your past being dragged up, and things being made up completely, which is kind of the point being made about the swinging allegations. Obviously if there is some truth in it then fair enough, but her reaction seems to imply otherwise.
  • magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Phil wrote: »
    There is, however, a vast difference between things from your past being dragged up, and things being made up completely, which is kind of the point being made about the swinging allegations. Obviously if there is some truth in it then fair enough, but her reaction seems to imply otherwise.

It begs the question: why would someone set themselves up to be sued or say something that could not easily be corroborated?

The person who said it must have deep pockets or little nouse - one of the two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the candidates have been criticised. She should not be so sensitive to criticism. Ben has become a hate figure during his time in the apprentice and he took it on the chin. The same goes for Philip. Similarly Noorul must now be on the receiving end of alot of abuse from his students.
    So: It's her fault that she's upset, because she's so sensitive to criticism & shouldn't be. Instead she should 'take it on the chin' like Ben. -- That's how yr/ post reads to me.
    What annoys me is the "swinger" story. How can the press fabricate such a story? It doesn't only affect her, it affects her partner and her children :(.
    All of it can effect her partner & children. How'd you think they feel if they run across the one of the 'vicious hate groups on Facebook where four pages are devoted to calling her an “ugly bitch” and people describe how they would like to punch her'???
    Ahh, the 'blame the victim' mentality. :rolleyes:

The other, equally obnoxious, side of the 'rush to litigation' mentality.
    I can see your point. We see the same w/ Big Brother housemates whenever there's something in the press saying one of them's in a mess. No sympathy; instead: the show's been on for x years, they should know what to expect; they were warned; they should be prepared; it comes w/ the territory; they're fair game; etc; etc;
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It begs the question: why would someone set themselves up to be sued or say something that could not easily be corroborated?

The person who said it must have deep pockets or little nouse - one of the two.

Especially to have photos. It is probably something she did she was ashamed of but as the photos implied a "better" story, it has been embellished into a totally new story. At least that is what I am gathering from the ex-partners article. Must be someone she knows for them to have photos. Which then comes down to her being betrayed by people too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Especially to have photos. It is probably something she did she was ashamed of but as the photos implied a "better" story, it has been embellished into a totally new story. At least that is what I am gathering from the ex-partners article. Must be someone she knows for them to have photos. Which then comes down to her being betrayed by people too.

The photos were taken from her facebook appreciation group, that a friend had uploaded before the swinger story was revealed by the press.
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    If the stories are false then she can sue. However, there have been far greater stories in the press re some financial impropriety that she squarely responded to - why not this one?

Yes coz its really cheap and easy to sue to media in this country. :rolleyes: In France things like this do not get printed coz their libel laws are so hot. Its only the Max Mosley's of this world who can afford the time money and energy to take on the press, hence why so many rubbish stories get printed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So: It's her fault that she's upset, because she's so sensitive to criticism & shouldn't be. Instead she should 'take it on the chin' like Ben. -- That's how yr/ post reads to me.

I never said it was her fault she is upset. I said she should not be so sensitive to criticism. The other candidates must also have been upset, they are human. I was commenting on the contents of the article which clearly said that she considered commiting suicide and is clearly depressed (not upset). i said that other candidates went through the same thing by probably not being so sensitive.

In summary: Thinking that she is not personally targeted and that the criticism is not her fault might get her through this period. Not once in my post did I blame her. I am just offering my opinion into what got her into this state and I believe it is the stories in the media are the main reason not how she was edited and not the criticism she received in the show.

All of it can effect her partner & children. How'd you think they feel if they run across the one of the 'vicious hate groups on Facebook where four pages are devoted to calling her an “ugly bitch” and people describe how they would like to punch her'???

I didn't comment on the hate groups. I commented on the swinger story and criticism. Do hate groups offer criticism?!!!
    I can see your point. We see the same w/ Big Brother housemates whenever there's something in the press saying one of them's in a mess. No sympathy; instead: the show's been on for x years, they should know what to expect; they were warned; they should be prepared; it comes w/ the territory; they're fair game; etc; etc;

I clearly said the story in the press was out of order and it was NOT her fault. I never said that she deserved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The swinger story; I agree is completely unnecessary.

But the dementor comment and people talking about her not being attractive. It's not in the same league. Kate's mouth has been criticised and she's had her relationship with Phil analysed, with some graphic comments and quite nasty references. Debra has been referred to as mrs trunchball and various other names. Phil has had a much bigger lashing that Lorraine on the whole names front. He has also been criticised heavily on the you're fired show. Ben too. His walk has been picked upon and he's been referred to as some nasty names too. Yasmina has had her cleanliness questioned. But the above are done in the realms of associating them as caricatures of themselves and for entertainment. Yes; some quite cutting, but comedians do this with actors, politicians and studio audiences all the time. The dementor comment was in reference to her stifling creativity and nobody laughing with her. It wasn't to do with her appearance. And Lorraine is no more a victim than anyone else in this regard.

I think the swinger story is different and a whole different kettle of fish. It is another example of the press taking thngs too far, but I don't reserve "more" sympathy for Lorraine than the dozens of other reality contestants this has happened to in the past. This is something the press do and shouldnt do to any of them. It's also very likely, in the same grain, that her ex-partner has also exaggerated her hurt over this. It makes it a bigger story. I reserve judgement until she leaves and we see her exit interview as to how traumatised and ill she is due to this. I'm sure she was upset, but I get the feeling that suicidal is perhaps exaggerated for the "story".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it was her fault she is upset. I said she should not be so sensitive to criticism. The other candidates must also have been upset, they are human. I was commenting on the contents of the article which clearly said that she considered commiting suicide and is clearly depressed (not upset). i said that other candidates went through the same thing by probably not being so sensitive.
    What is she supposed to do? Be transformed into someone less sensitive?

The implication was clear even if unintended: if the reason she's in such a state is that she's 'so sensitive' when she shouldn't be, then it is at least in part her fault that she's in such a state. She should be less sensitive & should take it on the chin, like Ben.
    In summary: Thinking that she is not personally targeted and that the criticism is not her fault might get her through this period. Not once in my post did I blame her. I am just offering my opinion into what got her into this state and I believe it is the stories in the media are the main reason not how she was edited and not the criticism she received in the show.

I didn't comment on the hate groups. I commented on the swinger story and criticism. Do hate groups offer criticism?!!!

I clearly said the story in the press was out of order and it was NOT her fault. I never said that she deserved it.
    She is being targetted personally, even if others are too. The facebook groups target her personally; the comments from other contestants mentioned in the Mirror article were about her, personally.

I noticed that you didn't mention the hate groups, but they were in the Mirror story that this thread's about, & they're part of what she's having to face. You weren't making fine distinctions about what & wasn't 'criticism' then:
    Criticism, hate, abuse - all in a paragraph about them all being criticised.

It's also only with the swinger story that you seemed at all sympathetic, saying it annoys you & (later) that it's 'completely unacceptable'. You also singled out the 'swinger' story as one that 'affects her partner and her children' when all of it, including the facebook groups, can affect them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is she supposed to do? Be transformed into someone less sensitive?

The implication was clear even if unintended: if the reason she's in such a state is that she's 'so sensitive' when she shouldn't be, then it is at least in part her fault that she's in such a state. She should be less sensitive & should take it on the chin, like Ben.

She is being targetted personally, even if others are too. The facebook groups target her personally; the comments from other contestants mentioned in the Mirror article were about her, personally.

I noticed that you didn't mention the hate groups, but they were in the Mirror story that this thread's about, & they're part of what she's having to face. You weren't making fine distinctions about what & wasn't 'criticism' then:

Criticism, hate, abuse - all in a paragraph about them all being criticised.

It's also only with the swinger story that you seemed at all sympathetic, saying it annoys you & (later) that it's 'completely unacceptable'. You also singled out the 'swinger' story as one that 'affects her partner and her children' when all of it, including the facebook groups, can affect them.

As I said I was referring to criticism and there is no reason in my post to assume otherwise. I haven't come across the hate groups but I came across the swinger story as it was on the press. That is why my comment was on it. I didn't think that I had to explain what I meant by criticism. It clearly doesn't mean hate and my comment doesn't indicate in anyway that the hate groups are right.

My comment about the other candidates simply says that she is not targeted because of they want to target her. Any reality TV in her place would have been targeted. If she look at it this way, it might make her less sensitive to it and might help her get through it!!!!

Again all I meant to say is that I don't believe that she should not be so sensitive to criticism candidates and I don't believe she is!!!. As I said many times, she has shown no signs of being so sensitive to criticism during the show. On the contrary, she was able to stand up for herself and improve if the criticism is valid. That is why I thought that the fabricated press stories (especially the one I read) are what got to her in the end (if the article is to be trusted!!!).

I really can't see how my post can be interpreted as saying that Lorraine is not entitled to be upset or it is her fault that she is upset!!! There are posts in this thread that clearly argue against your points but I don't believe my post is one of them. I was simply discussing what might be the main reason that she is depressed and why she considered suicide. I don't believe it was the criticism, I believe it was the fabricated stories in the press. This is my opinion.
  • AedinAedin Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    If the story about her being distraught and on the verge of suicide is true, its terrible. I only say 'if' because lots of stories in the media arent true. But you wouldn;t be surprised if it was true, given the amount of criticism she has taken.

Whilst you might say, well, if you go on reality TV, what do you expect, a lot of the comment about Lorraine has been quite awful, not least some of the comments in other threads on this sub-forum. Lots of it has focussed on her appearance and was really nasty and horrible. I know the internet is notorious for this sort of thing, but maybe the people who have posted horrendous comments about her (and indeed some of the other women on the Apprentice, but Lorraine came off worst) might think twice in future.

The whole thing just emphasises that anyone who goes on reality TV better have the hide of a rhinocerous. Which of course leads to people complaining, on internet forums like this, about the terrible quality of the people who go on reality TV....
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aedin wrote: »
    The whole thing just emphasises that anyone who goes on reality TV better have the hide of a rhinocerous. Which of course leads to people complaining, on internet forums like this, about the terrible quality of the people who go on reality TV....

Very good point.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I know that on shows such as Big Brother, they warn all the contestents of the trauma that can result if you do bad things such a bully, in front of millions of people (i.e. Jade). And then, after the contestent gets voted out, they all get professional psychologists to help them out with any problems.

I hope The Apprentice does this too. But I mean, not only Lorraine, but also Mona and Yasmina must've been pretty terrified about the homophobia and racism incidents. They must be really brave.

I guess we'll see if Dennis's story has much truth in it, or not when Lorraine appears on You're Fired. He says she's lost a lot of weight, so if she actually is thinner on You're Fired (sometime in the next 3 weeks), then we'll know that the story must have some truth in it, and I'll feel extremely sorry for her. :(

Also, if the article is actually true, she obviously hasn't won...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I guess we'll see if Dennis's story has much truth in it, or not when Lorraine appears on You're Fired. He says she's lost a lot of weight, so if she actually is thinner on You're Fired (sometime in the next 3 weeks), then we'll know that the story must have some truth in it, and I'll feel extremely sorry for her. :(

Also, if the article is actually true, she obviously hasn't won...

This reminds me of Katie Hopkins two years ago. When she appeared on the You're fired show, she has lost a LOT of weight. All the strength she put on the show was clearly a facade. She was clearly affected by the whole thing. No matter how much she was aggressive in the show, the way she was treated after the show was just horrendous. I didn't think she deserved it at the time.

These people are in a competition, I can understand when they deal with each other aggressively, but outside the show, we should be very careful in our comments. Those who fabricate stories about the candidates, should not get away with it.

I know it is all a bit too much for her partner but I hope he considers going back together or at least supports her during this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    she should not take it personally as she is not the only one targeted.

Very easy to say that when you're not the one who has to face the back-bite and consider that the people who read these articles don't think 'ah they're just saying that, it happens to everyone else on the show'. What happens to everyone else is quite irrelevant to her and her life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reminds me of Katie Hopkins two years ago. When she appeared on the You're fired show, she has lost a LOT of weight. All the strength she put on the show was clearly a facade. She was clearly affected by the whole thing. No matter how much she was aggressive in the show, the way she was treated after the show was just horrendous. I didn't think she deserved it at the time.

These people are in a competition, I can understand when they deal with each other aggressively, but outside the show, we should be very careful in our comments. Those who fabricate stories about the candidates, should not get away with it.

I know it is all a bit too much for her partner but I hope he considers going back together or at least supports her during this time.

The thing is this isn't just the candidate. It happens to pop singers, actors, actresses, royal family and other reality show contestants. What has happened to Lorraine is yet another example of what people are willing to do for money and the media condoning it by paying the money out. And we just further enforce it happening by talking about it and giving it more publicity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tv_child wrote: »
    Very easy to say that when you're not the one who has to face the back-bite and consider that the people who read these articles don't think 'ah they're just saying that, it happens to everyone else on the show'. What happens to everyone else is quite irrelevant to her and her life.

You're right. I just believe it might help to think like that an I believe that other candidates have been able to move on by ignoring criticism if it is not constructive.

When reading about what she has been through before in her life, Lorraine seems to me like a strong woman. However, these fabricated stories are a bit too much for anyone no matter how strong they are. They also did affect her personal life in a major way.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Is there, in fact, a shred of evidence that any of these stories are fabricated? Other than one piece in the Mirror?