Options

Gold, Silver, Bronze - how do do you rate them?

posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Obviously Golds are best but I think there are disappointing silvers/bronzes and great silvers/bronzes. There are even great 12th places - step forward Zoe Smith with her British record.

Just watching Zach Purchase, he still seems to think that his Silver was not great. Gemma Gibbons still thinks - rightly - that hers was very good.

I've said on many threads that it all depends on the event and where you are coming from - does anyone agree that the 'lesser' medals have many different flavours?

I only ask because of criticism of people celebrating Bronze - sometimes it's appropriate, sometimes it isn't.

Comments

• Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    I only ask because of criticism of people celebrating Bronze - sometimes it's appropriate, sometimes it isn't.

Oh absolutely. A bronze for Bolt at 100m would have been a huge disappointment and an anticlimax, but years ago I was holidaying in a small country that (at the time) had never won a single medal at the olympics. They got an athlete into one of the track events and the delight and celebrations at the ensuing bronze medal was incredible to witness. Said athlete got a hero's welcome at the end of the games.

I think silver in tennis mixed doubles was an incredible achievement for us, and winning 3 gymnastics medals was also fantastic. Lawrence Clarke's 4th place in the 110m hurdles was one of the non-medal-winning highlights of the games for me. Winning is great, but there's so much more to the olympics than gold medals.