Options

Prisons ! Why so many there.

flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
yes a very good question indeed and as a tax payer we have the right to know.
1. more than half of all prisoners have a drink or drug problem!
in fact the actual percentage is probabaly higher (i am a prison visitor) stop more drugs from entering by boostering our defences here ( customs) and not cutting down there numbers .which the current govt is doing.
2. what can be done to change the system we currently have.
well thats a very good question . my view is that instead of putting people in prison (minor offences) they should be put to work on community projects. ie keeping the hedgerows clear and general labouring. this would actually save money for local councils and so the poll tax payer gets charged less.
3.with the fact that a huge percentage of crimes are from drug or drink related offences , there are ways of limiting the amount of crimes by simply . hit the pockets of those who sell drugs . what they are doing now (the authorities) is not working.. and more needs to be done. zero toloerance to drug dealers is needed. give those arrested real hard labour. not treat them as kings so when they get out of prison they simply do it again.
4. some criminal records should not be for life. yes its always easier to do this but remember they are more like;ly to go back to there old ways simply because they cannot get a job.. because of there record.. maybe 5 years or low offences .
but life on very dangerous criminals.
Its very easy to give criminals life criminal records. but the system we have now does not work

Comments

• Options
    queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (i am a prison visitor)

That is the mosty frightening part of your post given what you said in the rest of it.
  • Options
    TolstoyTolstoy Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3.with the fact that a huge percentage of crimes are from drug or drink related offences , there are ways of limiting the amount of crimes by simply . hit the pockets of those who sell drugs.

The majority of drug related crimes are acquisitive offences committed by people who use drugs rather than those who sell them so I don't see your point here.
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All drug users and criminals should be locked up and made to pedal for electricity.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Answer......

Criminals.

Next!! :D
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget over 11,000 prisoners are from other countries, taking up the equivelent of 8 Pentonvilles.

This figure has grown over the past few years, as the UK has lost control of it's borders, therefore increasing the Prison population.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisons must be changed into 'self supporting establishments' I have been suggesting that we start a program of change within the walls of our prisons for a number of years, Presently the cost to the tax payer in the UK for running prisons full of people that have been put there by the courts, on our behalf to prevent them committing additional crimes against us is a large part of everyones tax bill PA and this cost is in addition to the high level of insurance premiums we pay for housing and car insurance (these rise year on year)'
    If we changed the methodology of paying for inmates accommodation, food, facilities etc (and the building projects too) we could give quite a large tax relief to tax payers through out the country.
    What work could they do?
    To begin with I would make every prison a recycling centre for all teh refuse that presently doesn't passs through a recycling centre. Many millions of tons of waste is sent to land fill every year when it could be processed to extract a high percentage of it into the recycling system (If I had been able to do this when the recycling thing started housholders would have been able to continue using the old system of throw everything into one big bin and it would have saved every local authority millions on new refuse (recycling) lorries and equipment.)
    there are probably other jobs in the uk that could be done by inmates rather than unskilled labourers from other countries.
    I know this alone would not make prisons self supporting but it would be a start.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Prisons must be changed into 'self supporting establishments' I have been suggesting that we start a program of change within the walls of our prisons for a number of years, Presently the cost to the tax payer in the UK for running prisons full of people that have been put there by the courts, on our behalf to prevent them committing additional crimes against us is a large part of everyones tax bill PA and this cost is in addition to the high level of insurance premiums we pay for housing and car insurance (these rise year on year)'
    If we changed the methodology of paying for inmates accommodation, food, facilities etc (and the building projects too) we could give quite a large tax relief to tax payers through out the country.
    What work could they do?
    To begin with I would make every prison a recycling centre for all teh refuse that presently doesn't passs through a recycling centre. Many millions of tons of waste is sent to land fill every year when it could be processed to extract a high percentage of it into the recycling system (If I had been able to do this when the recycling thing started housholders would have been able to continue using the old system of throw everything into one big bin and it would have saved every local authority millions on new refuse (recycling) lorries and equipment.)
    there are probably other jobs in the uk that could be done by inmates rather than unskilled labourers from other countries.
    I know this alone would not make prisons self supporting but it would be a start.

Currently there are prisoners languishing in their cells with no work to do because there are not enough prison officers to supervise them.

Too many prisoners are given custodial sentences for minor offences - this must change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    yes a very good question indeed and as a tax payer we have the right to know.
    1. more than half of all prisoners have a drink or drug problem!
    in fact the actual percentage is probabaly higher (i am a prison visitor) stop more drugs from entering by boostering our defences here ( customs) and not cutting down there numbers .which the current govt is doing.
    2. what can be done to change the system we currently have.
    well thats a very good question . my view is that instead of putting people in prison (minor offences) they should be put to work on community projects. ie keeping the hedgerows clear and general labouring. this would actually save money
    for local councils and so the poll tax payer gets charged less.
    3.with the fact that a huge percentage of crimes are from drug or drink related offences , there are ways of limiting the amount of crimes by simply . hit the pockets of those who sell drugs . what they are doing now (the authorities) is not working.. and more needs to be done. zero toloerance to drug dealers is needed. give those arrested real hard labour. not treat them as kings so when they get out of prison they simply do it again.
    4. some criminal records should not be for life. yes its always easier to do this but remember they are more like;ly to go back to there old ways simply because they cannot get a job.. because of there record.. maybe 5 years or low offences .
    but life on very dangerous criminals.
    Its very easy to give criminals life criminal records. but the system we have now does not work

This is information worth boostering over to the relevant authorities. They probably haven't thought of it.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the UK has a much higher prison population than pretty much all comparable European countries, it means that either the British are more prone to criminality than our peers or we just have too many laws - the logical thing to do would be to look at why we are alone in Europe in jailing so many and then work out how to reduce that number.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Considering the UK has a much higher prison population than pretty much all comparable European countries, it means that either the British are more prone to criminality than our peers or...

...or average jail sentences are longer or those convicted of crimes are more likely to receive a custodial sentence.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I think we should make a reality show with inmates taking on axe wielding nutters in a series of challenges with the strongest surviving

call it i dunno, the running man?

id watch it
  • Options
    KNIGTHOUTKNIGTHOUT Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4. some criminal records should not be for life. yes its always easier to do this but remember they are more like;ly to go back to there old ways simply because they cannot get a job.. because of there record.. maybe 5 years or low offences but life on very dangerous criminals. Its very easy to give criminals life criminal records. but the system we have now does not work
    Currently if a conviction is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 the ex-offender can state no when asked about criminal record by prospective employers or insurers. Some jobs have an exception to the Act, due to being in a position of trust over children or vulnerable adults.

Personally I have no sympathy for criminals and feel that we do not owe them opportunities, well paid jobs, etc. Society should be aware of the potential threat these people pose, cautious of them and if people want to they can feel resentful towards them and discriminate against them as far as providing them with opportunities. The criminal is the person who has done wrong. Forgiveness is not a right. The onus is on them to redeem themselves, not on society to forgive and forget.

For those with criminal records that can never be spent, I would be harsher not more lenient. I would reduce their benefit entitlements to hardship payment levels. To act as a deterrent, and as a sign that their crimes will never be forgiven or forgotten by society. They have broken the social contract beyond repair. If they turn to society to support them via benefits let them live meager lives.
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should me as many prisons as we need.Just dont spend so much making them nice to live in or running them.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I believe there is some unused land in the Outer Hebrides?
    The only downside is that you can still get Sky TV there.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    Currently there are prisoners languishing in their cells with no work to do because there are not enough prison officers to supervise them.

Too many prisoners are given custodial sentences for minor offences - this must change.

Change must come. I don't know what the expenditure for prisons is in this country but it must be massive. surely there must be ways to reduce this cost. or make the prisons contribute something to the society around them.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Because putting people in prison is electorally popular, amongst a welter of other reasons.
    A lot of people don't care about the rehabilitation aspect of prison work, and sadly, without it, people are going to go back to prison over and again. If you have people who have no moral compass at all - and that's not that uncommon, surely a system that rewards good behaviour - will teach an inmate that if they behave, good will flow from it. .
    Sadly, there's a rightwing bonehead tendency who want to make prison as unpleasant as possible, like in the States. And we can see just how successful that has been in the US in dealing with crime.
    Whether it works or not to these people is irrelevant though, they just want some form of biblical retribution
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tolstoy wrote: »
    The majority of drug related crimes are acquisitive offences committed by people who use drugs rather than those who sell them so I don't see your point here.

Hmmm, another problem here is the ready availability of a market for stolen goods. I saw an excellent programme a while ago where a variety of crims said they wouldn't burgle if they didn't have a friend at "Crack Converters" (as it is termed in Hackney, apparentlty) or local contact who would pay them out. *If* we tackled that end of things, we'd prevent a whole welter of crime, but that's far too complex, and there's circumstantial evidence that, in some areas at least, senior police are being bribed/encouraged/threatened to look the other way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is information worth boostering over to the relevant authorities. They probably haven't thought of it.

...or they've decided that it's too much like hard work and would be electorally unpopular, so why bother?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »

that is just my point. get the '*******' working and paying for their keep.
    I for one would rather see Prisons costing more in teh short term if it meant that eventually they could contribute something to society. Sorting refuse seems like a suitable punishment for the criminals that reside inside the prisons of teh United Kingdom. What about their human rights I hear you say! Man (Woman) has a RIGHT TO WORK! That about covers that problem! :D
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisons ! Why so many there.

Crimes! T'buggers keep committing them.