Modern pressings and mastering of vinyl LP's.

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just thought I'd throw this one out there.

Do modern LP's have the same mastering as the CD version, I'm fed up of the fake loudness and distortion in modern recordings so would buying the vinyl version improve that aspect.

I think it may as they cannot squeeze the same dynamic range onto vinyl, but please let me know otherwise.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this one out there.

Do modern LP's have the same mastering as the CD version, I'm fed up of the fake loudness and distortion in modern recordings so would buying the vinyl version improve that aspect.

I think it may as they cannot squeeze the same dynamic range onto vinyl, but please let me know otherwise.

As the dynamic range is vastly lower they can't just stick the same master on vinyl - as to being 'better', that's probably fairly subjective :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the dynamic range is vastly lower they can't just stick the same master on vinyl - as to being 'better', that's probably fairly subjective :D
    Given that some CD's these days seem to be compressed to sh!t with about 3dB dynamic range then 20dB on a vinyl record is going to be bliss by comparison. :D