Updated: Vote on who you think will represent the UK this year?

14567810»

Comments

• penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give the british public decent songs to choose from, and they can choose a good song. It's all in the selection process.

Said British public nearly voted for 'Yodel in the Canyon of Love' over and obvious ESC winner 'Love Shine a Light.' Even in 2007 when they did the NF post draw and were hinting Cyndi would strongly stand out post Verka but they send the most similar.
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    'Yodel in the Canyon of Love'

Best title ever, imo. :D
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interview with her manager.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said British public nearly voted for 'Yodel in the Canyon of Love' over and obvious ESC winner 'Love Shine a Light.' Even in 2007 when they did the NF post draw and were hinting Cyndi would strongly stand out post Verka but they send the most similar.

What I am saying is drop the joke acts from the selection process - have 6 quality songs / acts to choose from, and you're guaranteed a good song. It's not that dificult to find a decent song, and flush out the crap like Scooch & co.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I am saying is drop the joke acts from the selection process - have 6 quality songs / acts to choose from, and you're guaranteed a good song. It's not that dificult to find a decent song, and flush out the crap like Scooch & co.

I don't think a single NF (maybe Denmark) has been able to acheive this.

The BBC would only go back to their old ways and ring up labels at the last minute asking for songs nobody wants. The Voice and the likes of Let's Dance (probably even SCD) prevent the time and effort for the BBC to acheive this. It's a small team that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. There is no formula to do well every year but they certainly make it look easy in doing the opposite :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a single NF (maybe Denmark) has been able to acheive this.

The BBC would only go back to their old ways and ring up labels at the last minute asking for songs nobody wants. The Voice and the likes of Let's Dance (probably even SCD) prevent the time and effort for the BBC to acheive this. It's a small team that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. There is no formula to do well every year but they certainly make it look easy in doing the opposite :)

I think we could easily do a cross between Ireland and Spain and get 1 artist to perform 3-5 songs on The One Show in an extended special, I imagine the two shows are pretty much aimed at the same audience. Don't think it would cost too much money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    I think we could easily do a cross between Ireland and Spain and get 1 artist to perform 3-5 songs on The One Show in an extended special, I imagine the two shows are pretty much aimed at the same audience. Don't think it would cost too much money.

Spain is a song for Europe however I don't like how their record told them to do Eurovision or we will drop you :eek: Ireland I hate the mentor system as in most cases you will never get the best singer and song matched up
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain is a song for Europe however I don't like how their record told them to do Eurovision or we will drop you :eek: Ireland I hate the mentor system as in most cases you will never get the best singer and song matched up

Bloody hell didn't know they where forced into it.

I didn't mean like using mentors just using an existing chat show for the NF. the one show already broadcasts for an hour on a wednessday so they could try and squeeze it in in an hour or give it half an hour extra.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Bloody hell didn't know they where forced into it.

I didn't mean like using mentors just using an existing chat show for the NF. the one show already broadcasts for an hour on a wednessday so they could try and squeeze it in in an hour or give it half an hour extra.

I know what you mean :) I think even 3 songs enough would be enough for something like the One Show.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should pop the songs to choose from online, then only us Eurovision nuts would probably vote! So at least we could discuss it and vote properly
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    ...it appears no chart singer under the age of 30 in the UK wants anything to do with Eurovision, which is a real shame.

And it's all because of the POOR choices we have made since the 00's and how badly we score with the other Countries.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    And it's all because of the POOR choices we have made since the 00's and how badly we score with the other Countries.

Second in 2002.

Note here: I didn't watch Eurovision 2012 but I'm now watching Latvia's winning song. I know Jessica Garlick hit some bum notes, but how did this win ahead of her?
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joint third actually with Estonia in 2002 and this was all before the non-qualified Final countries could vote.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    Joint third actually with Estonia in 2002 and this was all before the non-qualified Final countries could vote.

Oops, sorry, yes. :o Still, a good result for the United Kingdom.