Options

Drivers - converging lanes etiquette? slight rant.

DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you drive on a converging lane system where the arrows tells you to merge left from a right hand lane - but there is a queue already in place do you think it is your right to push your way in or wait for a natural gap?

I get livid at drivers who think this is ok and actually get angry with me because I "push up" - i.e. get as close to the car in front as I safely can so they can't push in.

I've had experience of drivers turn in on me hoping I will give way - its crazy!

So what is the actual law or even majority opinion on lanes merging left.

Comments

• Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    If you drive on a converging lane system where the arrows tells you to merge left from a right hand lane - but there is a queue already in place do you think it is your right to push your way in or wait for a natural gap?

I get livid at drivers who think this is ok and actually get angry with me because I "push up" - i.e. get as close to the car in front as I safely can so they can't push in.

I've had experience of drivers turn in on me hoping I will give way - its crazy!

If drivers go flying up the overtaking lane and try to butt in when they can't get any further, it's reasonable for you to drive millimetres from the car in front whilst giving them the ****** sign. You can then watch their head explode with rage as the drivers immediately behind you decide to do exactly the same. :D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the polite thing to do is for each person in the left hand lane to let one car in if it is busy. I had a woman who was just behind me on the right when I was on the left who, for some reason, just sped up and scraped along the side of my car. Her excuse was that she wasn't familiar with the road!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the polite thing to do is for each person in the left hand lane to let one car in if it is busy.

Yep - that works for me as well. There's a difference between someone taking the piss by speeding past the queue so they can shoehorn themselves in as far up the line as they can get and two busy lanes of traffic trying to merge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The cars have no choice but to move into your lane so It's courtesy to allow them in. Most drivers don't tend to try and move in ahead of you if you have already allowed another car in. They have just as much right as you to be in that lane. There really is no need to get livid over something like this. Stubbornes can only lead to potential road rage.
  • Options
    majorgartmajorgart Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    If a queue has built up there's no point in trying to push in because most drivers won't let you .You need to get in the queue like everyone else.
    Converging lanes mean you all should filter into one lane together but if there's a queue this is not possible so don't bother trying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cars have no choice but to move into your lane so It's courtesy to allow them in. .

I think most of the time they do have a choice and use that choice to race up the right hand lane in order to cheat the queue.

Yes sometimes this may not be the case but 90% are cheaters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cars have no choice but to move into your lane so It's courtesy to allow them in. Most drivers don't tend to try and move in ahead of you if you have already allowed another car in. They have just as much right as you to be in that lane. There really is no need to get livid over something like this. Stubbornes can only lead to potential road rage.

It depends how they go about it. If they're obviously taking the piss, then they can bugger off. If they're patient, slow down to the speed of the queue and put they're indicator on instead of racing to the front, it usually isn't long before someone makes space for them.

Etiquette goes both ways.
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the Highway Code said use both lanes to maximum extent and merge in turn.

The problem from their perspective are the people who don't use the other lane to the fullest extent and end up causing a longer tail back then necessary
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If lanes are converging, then people ought to get into the queue at the soonest opportunity - I rarely find people jumping a merge queue, because both lanes typically have a degree of traffic in them up to the point of merge. Idiots who do jump the queue don't seem to realise that forcing themselves in at the latest possible point is part of what causes the traffic to move more slowly than they'd like in the first place.

I far more frequently see people use directional lanes for overtaking/undertaking slower traffic and THAT pisses me off a lot. In that situation I'm happy to block them off - a guy did it on a roundabout where there were three clear lanes - left, straight and right, with traffic from other directions diverted away from the roundabout. He decided to shortcut in the right turn lane past the long queue in the straight line and try and force himself in. He couldn't get straight in, so sat there blocking traffic going right also. He clearly did it very deliberately, pulling out of the straight one lane to do so. I really wanted him to have to carry on around the right lane to join the back of the straight on queue again. Some soft mop let him in though.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, a lot of you are coming over as selfish "no one is getting ahead of me types".
    Around 15 years back, German TV ran a public information commercial on road etiquette.
    They illustrated the merge into one lane manoeuvre by showing a shot of a giant zip.
    The vehicles were the individual parts of the zip that fell in, one behind the other as the zip was pulled shut.
    This, it was said, is the easy and polite way to do it, everyone falls into place alternately.
    Yes, I acknowledge that some cowboy roaring past a stationary line of traffic is annoying, and that no one
    wants to let them in at the front, but is it worth the aggravation of exchanging details after a scrape?
    Just hope that they run through the fence and over a cliff up the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, a lot of you are coming over as selfish "no one is getting ahead of me types".

Erm - are you sure? The main complaints are about the same sort of "cowboy roaring past a stationary line of traffic" that you mention yourself.

Other than that, merging in turn seems to happen pretty well in my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how they go about it. If they're obviously taking the piss, then they can bugger off. If they're patient, slow down to the speed of the queue and put they're indicator on instead of racing to the front, it usually isn't long before someone makes space for them.

Etiquette goes both ways.

The lane that is having to allow cars in is clearly going to be slower until the point of a bottle neck so it is likely that the other lane will be moving at a faster speed than those sitting in the converged lane. As I said earlier, getting angry because someone wants to get into a lane ahead of you just seems like a complete waste of energy. I will alllow one maybe even two in if someone tries to merge afterwards and wouldnt have seen that I've already allowed a car in. People who believe that others are taking the piss tend to be the ones who cause issues IMO. I bet your bottom dollar they tend to be middle lane hoggers too :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lane that is having to allow cars in is clearly going to be slower until the point of a bottle neck so it is likely that the other lane will be moving at a faster speed than those sitting in the converged lane. As I said earlier, getting angry because someone wants to get into a lane ahead of you just seems like a complete waste of energy. I will alllow one maybe even two in if someone tries to merge afterwards and wouldnt have seen that I've already allowed a car in. People who believe that others are taking the piss tend to be the ones who cause issues IMO. I bet your bottom dollar they tend to be middle lane hoggers too :p

Where you have two busy lanes of traffic merging, then you're right and it seems to work ok. That wasn't the scenario I was describing though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J German TV ran a public information commercial on road etiquette.
    They illustrated the merge into one lane manoeuvre by showing a shot of a giant zip.
    The vehicles were the individual parts of the zip that fell in, one behind the other as the zip was pulled shut.

nice theory but does not fit in with British culture, we are a nation of queuers - it just goes against the grain to do it that way. I think most people would end up trying to cut in still.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally follow the Highway Code and drive to the end of my lane as it closes and then move to the lane that remains open.
    You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

You should be leaving a gap so that the next car can get in.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/ricochetj/MergeinTurn.gif
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Do you not just merge in turn, so if I am at the front then the car on the right goes in behind me and in front of the car that was behind me or that just too logical:confused:
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never let people in. I make them go behind me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Do you not just merge in turn, so if I am at the front then the car on the right goes in behind me and in front of the car that was behind me or that just too logical:confused:

I agree with you, that makes perfect sense but some people are selfish and stubborn and don't want to allow those in the lane that is closing in front of them because they didn't move over like they did! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of the time they do have a choice and use that choice to race up the right hand lane in order to cheat the queue.

Yes sometimes this may not be the case but 90% are cheaters.

I think the person with the issue is mostly you judging by your OP and subsequent posts. Traffic in that lane is going to be faster and if you are at a stand still then it may appear as they are 'racing' up when they are most likely well within the speed limit. You said yourself that this makes you 'livid' but I would call it selfish and stubborn. Really no need to get worked up over something so trivial...
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I get livid at drivers who think this is ok and actually get angry with me because I "push up" - i.e. get as close to the car in front as I safely can so they can't push in..

So you would rather have an impatient driver driving behind you than in front?:confused:

Me personally, If I see an impatient driver wants to be in, I just let them in.

I would much rather have an idiot in front of me than behind.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, that makes perfect sense but some people are selfish and stubborn and don't want to allow those in the lane that is closing in front of them because they didn't move over like they did! ;)

Stubborn I'll give you, but surely the driver racing to the front and trying to cut in gets all the selfish points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    So you would rather have an impatient driver driving behind you than in front?:confused:

Me personally, If I see an impatient driver wants to be in, I just let them in.

I would much rather have an idiot in front of me than behind.:)

I'm sure the drivers behind you really appreciate that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the person with the issue is mostly you judging by your OP and subsequent posts. Traffic in that lane is going to be faster and if you are at a stand still then it may appear as they are 'racing' up when they are most likely well within the speed limit. You said yourself that this makes you 'livid' but I would call it selfish and stubborn. Really no need to get worked up over something so trivial...

It's pretty obvious when someone deliberately races past to cut in - that's the sort of driver people are, in my view justifiably, annoyed at enough to stop them from getting in.

They'll just wait for a softer target to let them in though, eh? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stubborn I'll give you, but surely the driver racing to the front and trying to cut in gets all the selfish points.

They aren't racing though. If you are at a standtstill and they are moving then it may appear that may be 'racing' but if the road is clear ahead of them they aren't actually doing anything wrong :confused:

I see no reason not to let someone in. It is not my place to try and punish someone for not moving over as early as I did...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Loving your work - I am queuing patiently and yet I'm the selfish one.

Top marks for that.