Options

Vodafone worst provider?

muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems according to the DM, a study has shown that Vodafone is the worst network provider, I also recall a few months ago a report that showed Vodafone 3G was the worst too as they were focussing on 4G. This does not surprise me one bit

I look after 130 mobile devices on Vodafone and we have been with them for years. The last two years have been horrendous with 3G coverage and incessant dropped calls. Trying to have a business conversation becomes ridiculous, dropped call after dropped call it becomes impossible. Even at head office, I've had to install 3x sure signal boxes it's got that bad. Having said that I can be half way through a conversation and it just ceases the call. It's worse when on hands free, and the latest one is the phones have been randomly dialling phones you haven't called, yes there in you're contacts it's happened to me three times in this week alone.

If you are driving you can hear the call drift in and out as if its going from cell to cell and then hopefully it comes back, it's shocking

We have complained to vodafone numerous times who have dismissed it, but did happen to mention that there are works on cell masts for installing 4G which is affecting the 3G signal, but initially they denied it.

They just need to hold their hands up and admit there are things seriously wrong, and start do do something about it. It can't be just our company

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everybody I know who is on Vodafone hate it and can't wait to get something else. It's generally a bad network I think.

Edit: I know somebody who's dad works with Vodafone and he was saying how the network lies all the time and is full of false promises to customers and staff.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone 3G around here can be a bit iffy, but EE voice is worse around here. I am going to have a go with 3 once contract is out.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no surprise from what I have heard they so bad someone i know took out a 1 month contract with them with no phone they ended up putting him on a 24 month contract no phone and they wont admit there mistake/
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    duffman25 wrote: »
    no surprise from what I have heard they so bad someone i know took out a 1 month contract with them with no phone they ended up putting him on a 24 month contract no phone and they wont admit there mistake/

Vodafone don't have any 24m sim only contracts so that is a lie.

been a vodafone customer for a while now. I'm never without an outdoor signal, I need to be available at all times so can't afford for people not to be able to call me.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not a lie he took out a 1 month contract and they put him on a normal contract that was 24months but with no phone
    sethpet wrote: »
    Vodafone don't have any 24m sim only contracts so that is a lie.

been a vodafone customer for a while now. I'm never without an outdoor signal, I need to be available at all times so can't afford so people not to be able to call me.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can all see Vodafone's performance in the Root Metrics reports, they are the worst network in the UK by a long way. EE & Three are the best overall performers for all service including data coverage and performance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26546100

In some cities in the UK Vodafone had a 10% call failure rate, and in nearly every report they came last in mobile data performance. O2 and Vodafone have a lot of catching up to do in the mobile data market, both are still years behind EE & Three.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only way to do something about it is to switch providers and tell them the reason why. Its no point complaining here yet keep funding them, they will never change this way.
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Muddipaws - ditch and switch.
    I've just moved the company from Voda to O2. EE signal not great at work so had to discount them unfortunately. Service is so much better, can actually use data, 3G performance much better. Was much easier to do than we thought - the thought/hassle of moving so many numbers was what was putting us off doing it a long time ago.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how your phone randomly dialling numbers from your contacts is something you can in any way blame on Vodafone, so I wonder how many of the other "issues" are down to user error or handset issues rather than the actual network...
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Was at mobile news awards in the week. There seems to be a wide held view across the industry from people I mingled with that Root Metrics are not as independent as they claim to be and should be taken with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    Was at mobile news awards in the week. There seems to be a wide held view across the industry from people I mingled with that Root Metrics are not as independent as they claim to be and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

This too. See existing thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1948200

Very much consumer-grade pop-science if you ask me. The data has some validity in its own right but you have to understand the limitations, namely that it's entirely unscientific and unreplicateable
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people always complain they can't hear me well on my work phone which is Vodafone. personal phone is absolutely fine which is Orange EE. Vodafone have a lot of business tie ups which is whats keeping them going.

From a personal point of view, Vodafone don't seem to make as much effort as other networks for personal users in the past few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom are producing their own reports which will be issued incrementally to allow consumers to have more data about their choices. We'll see when Ofcom's reports come out. I suspect they will report similar results as it's not just Root Metrics, several other crowd source data or studies have all largely reported the same.

If you remember back to Ofcom's old 2008/9 maps the difference was stark back then and lead to O2 being threatened with a fine by Ofcom, later Vodafone had the same issue again. So Ofcom's conclusions have been the same over the years.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom also report on customer satisfaction and level of escalated complaints and their findings re those have not pointed to major issues for consumers with the legacy networks.

You can take stats and spin anything out of them. The market itself rewards the best performers and that is not likely to change. The cycle of investment and catch up will continue and surveys and reports will reflect on the state of play at the time when the statistics were gathered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ofcom also said O2 had the fastest 3G a few years ago...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcom also report on customer satisfaction and level of escalated complaints and their findings re those have not pointed to major issues for consumers with the legacy networks.

You can take stats and spin anything out of them. The market itself rewards the best performers and that is not likely to change. The cycle of investment and catch up will continue and surveys and reports will reflect on the state of play at the time when the statistics were gathered.

It wasn't a customer satisfaction survey it was complaints to the regulator, of which you can only make if the network has failed to carry out their own support and you've lodged an official complaint with the network and waited X amount of days. The 'legacy' networks just seem to have better complaints procedures in place and better levels of customer support.

Ofcom has over the years threatened to fine both O2 and Vodafone for failing to meet 3G coverage obligations. O2 and Vodafone have both ended up bottom of the list on Root Metrics for overall data performance even though they both had 4G and Three didn't!
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not a lie he took out a 1 month contract and they put him on a normal contract that was 24months but with no phone

It's not difficult to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steffangl wrote: »
    Muddipaws - ditch and switch.
    I've just moved the company from Voda to O2. EE signal not great at work so had to discount them unfortunately. Service is so much better, can actually use data, 3G performance much better. Was much easier to do than we thought - the thought/hassle of moving so many numbers was what was putting us off doing it a long time ago.

That's what concerns me the numbers. Think also we may have to go legal to get out of the contract too. I have 132 overall devices
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness to Vodafone, around here and most of Northern Ireland in fact they have pretty much 100% 2G coverage, even in the most rural area you have signal, problem is 3g is a rarity outside the city's
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it is a lie - or at least some facts are being omitted. Vodafone do not do 24 month SIM only contracts. 12 month or monthly rolling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Where I live Vodafone voice is very good but data you might as well forget it. EE I get nothing unless I want 4g data.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the year I was with Vodafone I hated it. Couldnt wait to get out. Crap 3G, and non existent a lot of the time, in major cities and not in the middle of nowhere. Calls dropping all the time.

I'm with three and whilst the data is crap past around 6pm, its just a bit more bearable at least and calls dont drop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just plain horrendous, it's virtually impossible to have a conversation without the call dropping at least 5/6 times. I have asked our account manager and his manager for a meeting and we are just ignored. Absolutely disgusting. We spend £4k a month on phone bills and they do nothing at all but full of excuses. Shocking bad
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    It's just plain horrendous, it's virtually impossible to have a conversation without the call dropping at least 5/6 times. I have asked our account manager and his manager for a meeting and we are just ignored. Absolutely disgusting. We spend £4k a month on phone bills and they do nothing at all but full of excuses. Shocking bad

Sounds like my experience on EE. Conversely, Im now on Vodafone and I rarely get dropped calls.

The service you are getting is appalling especially considering the amount of money you spend. Thats shocking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    These kind of issues seem to be on an individual basis. My experience is that I moved from O2 (after 12 years custom) to vodafone due to the increasing black spots O2 have in Belfast (no data, no voice, absolutely no signal), rising monthly tariffs and a couple of black outs.

I picked Vodafone due to my company scheme offering me a 20% discount on line rental. What have I found? No black spots, no black outs and a better value monthly tariff (before the discount). The issues I do now have are slow delivery of text messages and an irritating weekly sales call. Neither of which are deal breakers for me. Oh and 3G speeds are fine.

I have a sister who is on three who can't even send a text message from inside her house, and a brother who is with giff gaff and has to try multiple times to log on to their site to top up and suffers the usual O2 nonsense. Both of which want the service I have with vodafone.

Each to their own, I'm happy with vodafone. Do I think they are the best network? No idea if they are but I'm happy to pay them.