How long do sausages rolls keep after opening?

chaffchaff Posts: 985
Forum Member
✭✭
I opened a pack of sausages rolls on Wednesday and I've still got a few left in the fridge. Would they still be safe to eat? Same goes for precooked cocktail sausages.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Cocktail sausages last ages. A couple of weeks at least if not longer.

Processed sausage rolls last a while also. A week would be fine. You'll probably find that it's the pastry that goes stale before the sausage goes off.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The date on the packet tells you.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Cocktail sausages last ages. A couple of weeks at least if not longer.

Processed sausage rolls last a while also. A week would be fine. You'll probably find that it's the pastry that goes stale before the sausage goes off.

I found a US government website that says 7 days, so you were right about the sausage rolls: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/sausages-and-food-safety/ct_index

That tells you the best before date, not how long it's safe to eat once opened.
    Forum Member
    If I followed the date on packets i'd be throwing out a shit load of perfectly acceptable and safe food.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed about the date. It wasn't clear what the OP was asking. If they want to know how long they will still be edible then that is subjective and entirely down to how much preservative the manufacurer has put into it.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an American site so doesn't list sausage rolls but interesting anyway
    http://www.stilltasty.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    This is an American site so doesn't list sausage rolls but interesting anyway
    http://www.stilltasty.com/

Sorry, your search for 'sausage rolls' did not return any results.
    Sorry, your search for 'cocktail sausages' did not return any results.

:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 2 minutes for me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    prepacked sausage rolls are yuk, very dry and stodgy..best make your own
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »

Ain't got time fo dat! I don't buy them very often, but occasionally I'll have a Greggs moment and buy some snack food for the weekend.
    Forum Member
    chaff wrote: »
    Ain't got time fo dat! I don't buy them very often, but occasionally I'll have a Greggs moment and buy some snack food for the weekend.

oh Greggs are not bad lol

i was thinking it was those sealed packs from spars and co-ops that are nasty ones :D
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice attempt at trolling.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    Depends on the quality of the lips-and-bumholes that were ground up to make them in the 1st place!
    Forum Member
    Nice attempt at trolling.

yeah right..i was giving my opinion on them that's all dear lol
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah right..i was giving my opinion on them that's all dear lol

you fail to understand that a lot of people do like supermarket sausage rolls.

As for saying that greggs are any better then the supermarket ones is just laughable. You don't think they are all made in the same factories ?
    Forum Member
    There is no comparison between a bakery sausage roll and those from the chilled section in a supermarket.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There is no comparison between a bakery sausage roll and those from the chilled section in a supermarket.

have you tried greggs before ? And many supermarkets bake the their own sausage rolls as well.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    have you tried greggs before ? And many supermarkets bake the their own sausage rolls as well.
    Yes, i'm talking about the offerings from the chilled cabinet.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    you fail to understand that a lot of people do like supermarket sausage rolls.

As for saying that greggs are any better then the supermarket ones is just laughable. You don't think they are all made in the same factories ?

and some people don't..plus there is more than one bakery other than Greggs, that was just an example..And like degsyhufc said supermarket sausage rolls etc are all full of stodgy pastry( which i don't like)..i like stuff that is filled with meat( fillings)..I hardly go in to Greggs anyway and i like baking my own lately