Mark Owen Stars - flopping why!???

2»

Comments

• RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Surprised it is doing so badly, I thought he'd get a top10.

not usually a fan of his voice, but as others have commented the song & production makes the best of the voice he has. Also he's been on Alan Carr & The One Show in the last week, aside from Britain's Got Talent or Graham Norton, there isn't really any bigger shows he could have been on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I don't think people get him as an artist. They expect a pop star - mainstream material - but he's not mainstream at all but an artistic singer and songwriter. ..... His voice is an acquired taste and suits certain songs more than others. it is quite amazing that he continues to be creative as a sideline to such a mainstream hugely successful boy band.

'Stars' is a good song and the video is brilliant.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head there but, to be honest, he doesn't go out there expecting or aiming to absolutely storm the charts. He's not solely out for commercial success (although I'm sure he would appreciate it) but it's a shame he doesn't get more of the recognition he deserves as a musician. I would say he's just as good as Gary is, he's just in a different niche musically.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a decent song but his voice is horrendous :eek:

As others have said, it's not really a commercial song anyway. The stuff he does away from Take That is much more alternative.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really just a poor song sung badly. Fans wont see this as they are blinkered, sorry its true, its is a weak weak song sung by a man with a very poor voice. Thats why it has flopped.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    His voice is beyond weak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This pipsqueak is intolerable . .
    I hope he takes himself & his space suit & buggers off to another planet where I think he'd be more happier, then other stars & aliens could appreciate his bloody awful voice & his funny dance moves more than we ever can . .
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares about the charts these days. Its pointless. Since when did popularity = quality ?

Good on him for recording proper songs which he enjoys and not going down the 'novelty record' nursery rhyme drivel of Robbie Williams 'Candy'. That got Robbie to number one but ask Mark wether he would ever have recorded that crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really just a poor song sung badly. Fans wont see this as they are blinkered, sorry its true, its is a weak weak song sung by a man with a very poor voice. Thats why it has flopped.

In YOUR opinion.

The other reasons for flopping are quite valid, but this is just based on your opinion. His voice is divisive, yes, but the song is certainly not weak.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In YOUR opinion.

The other reasons for flopping are quite valid, but this is just based on your opinion. His voice is divisive, yes, but the song is certainly not weak.

In YOUR opinion. Works both ways. Basically he is too old for the mass buyers of chart records. Simple as that. Take That fans have grown up have kids and would maybe buy the album. Teenagers will simply say Mark WHO?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    In YOUR opinion. Works both ways. Basically he is too old for the mass buyers of chart records. Simple as that. Take That fans have grown up have kids and would maybe buy the album. Teenagers will simply say Mark WHO?

You clearly missed the point there. Their original post stated that the voice and song are weak, and that if you disagree you are just blinded by fandom. God forbid it could be because you have different tastes and opinions.

The reasons you gave are true, and valid.

But the crap spouted by Domestiques doesn't factor in anything but their opinion or look at anything wider.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you know its all our opinion, thats how these things work, someone poses a question, people give an opinion. Would seem ridiculous if I said I have asked my wife and she said the reason why it flopped is because of his appearance on the one show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you know its all our opinion, thats how these things work, someone poses a question, people give an opinion. Would seem ridiculous if I said I have asked my wife and she said the reason why it flopped is because of his appearance on the one show.

Possibly, yeah.

The main problem I had was just your sweeping statement that fans cannot be objective and if they disagree then they are just blinkered. I am a fan of many people and most of them have released at least one album that I am not exactly a fan of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you are blinkered, its a very weak song performed by a man with a very weak voice, you say the song isnt weak, its like a really bad coldplay b-side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you are blinkered, its a very weak song performed by a man with a very weak voice, you say the song isnt weak, its like a really bad coldplay b-side.

Not at all.

You are just assuming your opinion makes it fact and it doesn't.

Not bothering to argue about, but I am certainly not blinkered. I am a fan of Mark, but not a fan of all his material. His second album really gutted me, I didn't enjoy it at all. This, I think, is much better and a great strong song.

Your opinion is the opposite, it certainly doesn't mean you are any more or less right than me.

Talk about being blinkered, a man who assumes his opinion makes something fact.
  • smokencheesesmokencheese Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't sing and has the charisma of a peanut.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really like the song
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    No one cares as much for individual Take That members as they do for them as a group
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the song I randomly came across the song on youtube the other day. I wouldn't have known about the song otherwise. It needs more promotion.