Options

Downton Abbey series 3!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive finally watched it and had 2 thoughts....well actually a few more than that but nothing worth talking about.....

I thought Thomas lost a hand in the war or it was paralised so was surprised its ok now

Who sent the money?

For the trip from Ireland? Granny!
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I love seeing a more cheerful Edith.
    So do I. I'm quite happy for her to have a bitchy, sisterly rivalry with Mary - realistic and I like it though I can't believe Mary would ever forgive her for writing (and sending!) that letter - but I do like the more cheerful Edith.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Hell page 21 this thread has picked up quite a bit.:eek:

What an episode loved every moment of it. Maggie Smith had some classic lines my particular favourite being. "He looks like the man from the prudential". Got love her.
    I will admit there was the scene when Shirley McLaine got out of the car to be introduced to the family as she was talking to each sister the BBC sketch came into my head.:D
    So excited for Edith she got more scenes with Lord Strallen i have always liked her and so shipping her with strallen this series.:D
    Mathew was brilliant with Branson poor Branson was bit like EEK at the dinner table scene but i knew it had to do with the Larry Grayson look alike Larry Grey:D:mad:
    So happy its back and as good as ever. Must get the new book Downton Chronicles now;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I wish ITV would hurry up and put the extended trailer for next week on their website, come on!! Such slow pokes, I think I may need to watch the episode again tonight....thank goodness for my dvr!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Did Sybil actually ever announce she was Pregnant? Because Cora's mum seemed to know about it, but I never actually heard her tell her sisters?

Cora got a letter from Sybil in the Xmas special saying she was pregnant – so I expect that is how word got around. She clearly hasn’t been eating well as she still seemed very thin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

l love that song;)
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Cora got a letter from Sybil in the Xmas special saying she was pregnant – so I expect that is how word got around. She clearly hasn’t been eating well as she still seemed very thin!

It sounds like they are struggling financially, so she's probably not eating properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It sounds like they are struggling financially, so she's probably not eating properly.

Hence why they needed to borrow the money to go to England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Just got into Downton Abbey as a series, only really watched parts of the previous two series. Guess that's why I didn't get it previously. I've now been bitten by the downton bug, so have ordered the first two boxsets to catch up.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hugely enjoyed last night's show, it was like the second series never happened. I hated series 2, it felt rushed and boring at the same time, whereas last night felt properly paced. :)
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    So do I. I'm quite happy for her to have a bitchy, sisterly rivalry with Mary - realistic and I like it though I can't believe Mary would ever forgive her for writing (and sending!) that letter - but I do like the more cheerful Edith.

Glad someone remembers this, it's seems like nobody mentions it and it's only Mary who done things wrong, when imo writing that letter was much worse than anything Mary has done. Like you I don't know how Mary has forgiven her, but then it seems to be forgotten in the show as well.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone ought to teach the Earl of Grantham a sense of direction. When you're in Yorkshire pal, you go down to London, not up! :rolleyes:

The proper phrase is 'up to London' wherever you live.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »

I wonder if we will see any scenes of Sybil and Tom in Dublin - clearly with the troubles and the war of independence it would make for some drama.

Maybe Sybil and Mary get roughed up by some black and tans - and Matthew/Tom wade in to save the day?

You can see a lot of potential for storylines outside Downton - but perhaps they will want to keep it all at arms length?
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I love seeing a more cheerful Edith.

Where is that DS user from last year who was venomously against Edith and Anthony. Saying he was too old for her.

Lol there were a few of us :cool:

I think Anthony is nice enough. I just think its a bit of a dull storyline to have those two together. I still maintain that he is too old for her. He looked at deaths door last night. She'd be more nursemaid than partner. I think she likes him because he's the first person whose actually valued her, even her own bloody mother and father don't seem to like poor Edith very much! But just because they are friends doesn't mean they are right for each other.

I still want to see Edith do something different from her two sisters and spread her wings a bit. If all three sisters end up wives and mothers and nothing else I shall scream. Wheres the women's movement that popped up for a bit in series 1 JF? Hmmm?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yRHAjf_S0_0#at=10 ITV extended trailer for next week! Spolier warning!
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Let's not forget they've just come through WW1 and all the character progression from living through that experience.
    I really thought Edith grew up a helluvva lot during the war and Mary has some serious problems herself what with Matthew's injuries and all.
    Those kinds of experiences would really make you prioritise what's important and make them both see that the world is a bigger place than the petty jealousies of the society girls they once were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also hope that JF has been setting up Bates as this pious guy and Anna gets him out and then it turns out he did kill her. I'd love that. Bates clearly has a temper - the way he spoke to Vera and threatening his jail mate. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a dark side, and it would certainly make him a more interesting character.

Although, the love for Anna and Bates among the fans is such that I doubt JF will go there.

I think the storyline I'm most looking forward to is Thomas :D

And
    even though I would rather see Edith do something else than just been Anthony's wife, I felt very upset for her in that preview.
    :cry:
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caught up on the first two series on itv3 and i loved the first episode of s3...

i love almost everybody but as not to ruffle any feathers because i feel Branson is the favorite and beloved by everyone but is there anyone who doesnt like because i cant stand him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The prison food must be fantastic : you'd expect him to be looking gaunt by now :D

That's what I thought. It's a bit ridiculous that he has got fatter on meagre portions of un-nourishing tripe. JF isn't to blame for that though; Brendan Coyle should have been ordered to get thinner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's with all the Mr Bates hate? I love him, it's not his fault he's been stuck in prison with limited storylines.
    I'm not getting all the adulation and love for Mary either. I've watched it from the beginning and she's still the same selfish upstart she always was. Edith and Sybil have both matured and there's been a lot of character development, especially in Edith. But Mary is still the same spoilt brat with a tremendous sense of entitlement.

I agree - good post silly s. I like Bates but his chubbiness doesn't fit in with the situation he is in.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    I think she likes him because he's the first person whose actually valued her, even her own bloody mother and father don't seem to like poor Edith very much! But just because they are friends doesn't mean they are right for each other.
    So is Sir Elderly Eligible (as referred to on a different, mustard-flavoured forum) father replacement therapy?! ;)

I think they're right for each other. He'll adore her and she'll blossom.

(Scuse me while I get over the nausea that typing that last line seems to have induced...)

kat180 wrote: »
    I also hope that JF has been setting up Bates as this pious guy and Anna gets him out and then it turns out he did kill her. I'd love that.
    So would I!
    Let's not forget they've just come through WW1 and all the character progression from living through that experience.
    Real people would change and develop but characters in a drama behave the way that the writer/s think best delivers... drama.

@guestofseth - I think the writers have to let old plot lines (The Letter - and Mary subsequently sabotaging the embryonic romance between Strallan and Edith) drop beneath the surface (at least until they are needed again) or plot progression could never take place within the time constraints of an hour and 7 minutes per week of drama if old grudges have to be perpetually referred to and explained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its like Anna said. Its highly unlikely someone broke in and poisoned her to death by pie. So she either killer herself, or he killed her.

And I just don't see why Vera would kill herself.

He did have that scratch on his cheek didn't he.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,386
    Forum Member
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    I thought there was too much Anna and Bates in prison scenes and muted them all because I find 'Bates the martyr' really tedious.

:D

I liked the scenes this series much better than the ones in S2. It was nice to see him smiling more in this series.than the last one too. Mind you I am a mad Bates/Anna fan:D:D:D
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH and I were having a laugh over the patter of tiny Downton feet and imagining a chubby little Bates clicking along with his mini-stick; Baby O'Brien with sideburns and a **** in hand; Baby M&M with strange vampire eyes a la Matthew... I'm sure there are more...

Oh and there's a possible storyline for the kitchen maid. As a last concession to a dying man she conceived a little Willy. With the chin to match the late footman. :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone ought to teach the Earl of Grantham a sense of direction. When you're in Yorkshire pal, you go down to London, not up! :rolleyes:

Up to London has been around for a long long time, it is used in Dickens Bleak House.

The term became far more widespread with the expansion of railways, trains towards London were always on the Up Platform and trains away and towards the country were always on the Down platform and the term just stuck and is used for many major cities now not just London.
This discussion has been closed.