Options

Butlins changes throughout the years

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
Forum Member
✭✭
Back in the day, It used to be weeks hoilday for a month pay. I wasn't born then but it was mention on the history of the site. Fast forward to 2013 and you still wouldn't have paid for your holiday after a year. Plus you have to pay over £3.50 for pints in venues, There is money grabbing machines that just designed to drop near the end to temp you. Then the cycle repeats. Plus there is the £100 charge to get seats that noone will nick when you get up in a upstairs area. There are alot of things that would upset you if you go back to any resort now. Serves as warning if you looking for somewhere to take your kids or grandkids. Because the place is getting worse with the prices getting higher every year. These are the few reasons why I would never take my unborn kids there, Surprised they don't include a charge on whats left of the funfair. Disgrace how many rides that used to be there isn't at Skegness Butlins now. The monorail is one of them. I know the swimming place there has been done up lately but there might include a charge to use the new water rides. It won't surprise me in the least :(

Comments

• Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised they don't include a charge on whats left of the funfair. Disgrace how many rides that used to be there isn't at Skegness Butlins now.

They do. Only the very shittest rides are free.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    We had to settle for Pontin's (we were poor)
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We booked our holiday for next year when we were there earlier this year and it cost less than £500 including food. Luckily I earn rather than that in a month, in fact that's more like a week's holiday for a week's pay. But these things are all relative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Us to.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the day, It used to be weeks hoilday for a month pay. I wasn't born then but it was mention on the history of the site. Fast forward to 2013 and you still wouldn't have paid for your holiday after a year.

:eek: How much does it cost now?

I've never been, I wanted to go when I was little :cry:
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went two years ago, stayed in one of the Butlins caravans cost was about £800 per week in peak summer season. Never again bloody awful place.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A group of us was going to go on a stag do at one of the special weekends in Bognor, but as soon as we saw the cost which was almost £200 per person for 3 days, we decided against as it would workout cheaper for a week abroad later on in the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a Twitter account but the wi-fi on the resort is really slow, That if you get to pick it up as they charge £10 to use it :)
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Used to go on hols to Butlins with my family in the 80s. Bognor, Clacton, Minehead and Phwelli. Loved everything about it back then: Boating Lake, billiards room, monorail, dining room with servers and their tiered plate stackers, chalets. I would give anything to go back to those times as a kid to relive again.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Used to go on hols to Butlins with my family in the 80s. Bognor, Clacton, Minehead and Phwelli. Loved everything about it back then: Boating Lake, billiards room, monorail, dining room with servers and their tiered plate stackers, chalets. I would give anything to go back to those times as a kid to relive again.

Agree with all this. The chalets were very basic but we never spent any time in them:)
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We went last month and it was something like £170 each for 4 nights for a silver apartment and premium dining- hardly what I'd call shockingly expensive. Would be even cheaper with regular rooms and standard dining.

And to the OP, no, Skegness doesn't charge you to use the pool or the slides.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We had to settle for thinking about going to Pontin's, then not going.:(
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

We used to have to settle for a youth hostel in Boggle Hole. Pontins was the height of 5* luxury by comparison.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Back in the day, It used to be weeks hoilday for a month pay. I wasn't born then but it was mention on the history of the site. Fast forward to 2013 and you still wouldn't have paid for your holiday after a year. Plus you have to pay over £3.50 for pints in venues, There is money grabbing machines that just designed to drop near the end to temp you. Then the cycle repeats. Plus there is the £100 charge to get seats that noone will nick when you get up in a upstairs area. There are alot of things that would upset you if you go back to any resort now. Serves as warning if you looking for somewhere to take your kids or grandkids. Because the place is getting worse with the prices getting higher every year. These are the few reasons why I would never take my unborn kids there, Surprised they don't include a charge on whats left of the funfair. Disgrace how many rides that used to be there isn't at Skegness Butlins now. The monorail is one of them. I know the swimming place there has been done up lately but there might include a charge to use the new water rides. It won't surprise me in the least :(

Average monthly salary is about £1300 a month after tax, are you saying a weeks holiday costs more than that?
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Pwllhelli in the early 90's and it was EXACTLY like Hi-De-Hi. I know they've been trying to shake that image off for years, but back then it was still quite old fashioned.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average monthly salary is about £1300 a month after tax, are you saying a weeks holiday costs more than that?

The OP has got many things wrong. The original slogan was a weeks holiday for a weeks pay.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    terry45 wrote: »
    The OP has got many things wrong. The original slogan was a weeks holiday for a weeks pay.

Was that per person? Or a family holiday?
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »

This brings back memories. :)

We went a lot during the 80's too.
    I seem to remember there only being about 5 camps and we went to 4 of them (Pwhelli, Minehead, Skegness and Ayr). The only one we never went to was Bognor.

Can remember the monorails and chairlifts.
    Outdoor pools with little tanks and water cannons in them. Later on they introduced wave machines.
    They all had pretty good beaches although I can remember the Phwelli beach being quite pebbly.
    We mostly stayed in chalets except for Ayr where it was a big 8 berth caravan.
    Great times!

I can imagine them being full of stag and hen dos now though and not being the same at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    We went last month and it was something like £170 each for 4 nights for a silver apartment and premium dining- hardly what I'd call shockingly expensive. Would be even cheaper with regular rooms and standard dining.

And to the OP, no, Skegness doesn't charge you to use the pool or the slides.

Queue buster tickets for the slides and venues unless you want to wait a while.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »

I'd wondered why the original post had rung so untrue. Butlins was for the working man who earned a weekly wage not a monthly salary - and the marketers knew this full well.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    We used to have to settle for a youth hostel in Boggle Hole. Pontins was the height of 5* luxury by comparison.

You think you had it rough? We camped in a tent in the back yard for two weeks.:p

Actually, we used to go to Pontins at Prestatyn in the 70's. Loved it, then.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Actually, we used to go to Pontins at Prestatyn in the 70's. Loved it, then.

We used to go there in the 80s and 90s. Really liked it as well. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went there about 10 years ago, we was in trouble with money at the time so had the cheapest place they had, dreadful apartments falling to bits.
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    In my student days I worked in Pwhelli 1972 and 73. I loved the place and working there seeing so many enjoying their hols. I am sad to hear this , as always accountants and bean counters take over and the place goes into decline.

In Pwhelli everything was free except the booze but it was very reasonably priced.

Loved the place and still remember fondly people who I met and worked with all those years ago. Wonder they are now.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been to Butlins but went to Pontins at Brean Sands. We had a 1 bedroom ground floor chalet which had huge glass patio doors for entry and at night time it felt like you were being boiled alive.

Check out Croyde Bay Unison. It is a great place for a holiday.
    When they have one of their special offers it can work out very cheap especially if you are a Unison member. Plus there is a 50% discount for low wage earners.