Doc Martin (Part 6 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did anyone make somekind of account on in the year when DM would end his medical training?

Well if he & Edith parted 20 years ago, & she went off for her career presumably when she had qualified, that would make it about 1989 I guess. Also when DM is querying her diagnosis in S4 E1, she says she has been head in gynae for 17 years, so that would be a while after qualifying. Does that make any sense?:confused::confused:
  • TantraceciliaTantracecilia Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if he & Edith parted 20 years ago, & she went off for her career presumably when she had qualified, that would make it about 1989 I guess. Also when DM is querying her diagnosis in S4 E1, she says she has been head in gynae for 17 years, so that would be a while after qualifying. Does that make any sense?:confused::confused:

great!!!....that's what I've thought, but i was thinking on 1990...but it is by that time .....:D

making a research for my next fic ......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great!!!....that's what I've thought, but i was thinking on 1990...but it is by that time .....:D

Ooh, sounds good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It takes quite a long time to become a consultant - at least another 5 years I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    It takes quite a long time to become a consultant - at least another 5 years I think.

A bit longer for a surgeon I think MM:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ooh something to look forward too:):) Think DM also says in the very first episode at his interview that he's led his team for 12 years I think it was:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simplyred wrote: »
    A bit longer for a surgeon I think MM:)

You're probably right. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets change the question then!

how many years he would need to be a surgeon and when he would end???? (I mean year) :confused:

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel lost!!-This is supposed to be the Doc Martin thread--
    I assumed about programme with Martin Clunes as the Doc!!
    The first few did hint at the thread content--However --
    now it's just silly rambling about anything & anyone!! :mad:
    To get back on track-may I add some of my opinions of Doc Martin?
    I love the show & think M-C plays the role to perfection!
    I think the Huge fat chap--Plumber? should be removed he's awful to look at---AND---
    his part adds no meaning or reason to the show except father to ??
    I forget his name--but he doesn't need a barrell as a Father!
    The secretary is brainless-useless-could be replaced with a really good actress!
    Then her position could also grow-to actually helping D.M. & being a help---
    NOT a HINDRANCE !!!!:o:o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panorama wrote: »
    I think the Huge fat chap--Plumber? should be removed he's awful to look at---AND---
    The secretary is brainless-useless-could be replaced with a really good actress!

Hi Panorama, welcome to the thread.:)
    The reason it seems a bit odd today is because TC is writing a story about DM and we're trying to help her figure out when DM would have finished medical school.
    I think MC is brilliant too and CC as well.
    I disagree about Bert, Al and Pauline as they are there to add to the humour of the show. i actually think it's more realistic to have some people who aren't great to look at as it's supposed to be an ordinary village. The actress who plays Pauline is actually a very good actress - it's the part that is brainless. I think the writers deliberately write Pauline as a hindrance so DM can have even more reasons to be angry.:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets change the question then!

how many years he would need to be a surgeon and when he would end???? (I mean year) :confused:

:D

I'm not sure but if you said DM finshed medical school in 1986 or thereabouts, it would allow plenty of time for him to become as a top surgeon and would be consistent with his apparent age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi! We do talk about DM a lot, honestly, but we have two years to kill, so we do ramble off on unrelated topics sometimes.
    Agree with MM - without Bert, Al and Pauline then DM would have a lot less people to insult. If they left he'd have to vent his excess frustration on LG :eek: I don't think she'd stand for much more than she's had already! I think they are quite vital to the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    Hi Panorama, welcome to the thread.:)
    The reason it seems a bit odd today is because TC is writing a story about DM and we're trying to help her figure out when DM would have finished medical school.
    I think MC is brilliant too and CC as well.
    I disagree about Bert, Al and Pauline as they are there to add to the humour of the show. i actually think it's more realistic to have some people who aren't great to look at as it's supposed to be an ordinary village. The actress who plays Pauline is actually a very good actress - it's the part that is brainless. I think the writers deliberately write Pauline as a hindrance so DM can have even more reasons to be angry.:D:D
    sendibo wrote: »
    Hi! We do talk about DM a lot, honestly, but we have two years to kill, so we do ramble off on unrelated topics sometimes.
    Agree with MM - without Bert, Al and Pauline then DM would have a lot less people to insult. If they left he'd have to vent his excess frustration on LG :eek: I don't think she'd stand for much more than she's had already! I think they are quite vital to the show.

As much as I DISLIKE Bert's interruptions or Pauline's Insolence towards DM, I have to agree on what MM and Sen said....they are some sort of comic relief or just annoying sometimes, but important for the story......

BTW....welcome to the thread Panorama!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Hi Panorama,
    Welcome to the Doc Martin thread. Yes, just popping in here may make you think we talk nonsense, but stick around anyway. When the show is actually airing in Britain, this forum is alive! We analyze and over analyze each individual scene. Bert, Al and Pauline are an integral part of the DM team and the show would not be as good if they weren't in it.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I'll have to admit that when I very first watched the show, that Bert did irritate me but now I love him. Some characters take a while to warm up to. But Pauline was such a big improvement on Elaine, his first secretary. Panorama - check out season 1, and after that you will really appreciate Pauline, a very talented and funny actress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get back on track-may I add some of my opinions of Doc Martin?I love the show & think M-C plays the role to perfection!I think the Huge fat chap--Plumber? should be removed he's awful to look at---AND---
    his part adds no meaning or reason to the show except father to ??I forget his name--but he doesn't need a barrell as a Father!The secretary is brainless-useless-could be replaced with a really good actress!
    Then her position could also grow-to actually helping D.M. & being a help---NOT a HINDRANCE !!!!:o:o:o

Welcome Panorama.:) Bert Large was pretty fundamental to the show - he was the one who persauded the Doc to stay at the end of S1 so don't be too hard on him. I think that the secretary (Pauline) is supposed to be a foil to the Doc - alot of the humour comes from their exchanges - and she's had some great 1-liners over the years!
  • akanippyakanippy Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    yes, welcome indeed.please tell us your gender.if you are a bloke you are severely outnumbered.you mention almost everyone except the beautiful Louisa ,whocomes close to my ideal woman,physically attractive,mature and demure with just a hint of a passionate woman within.what do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just uploaded a new short story on FanFic - it's rated M, so you make have to alter the settings if you want to read it - it's a slightly saucy one :o:o:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just uploaded a new short story on FanFic - it's rated M, so you make have to alter the settings if you want to read it - it's a slightly saucy one :o:o:eek:

:D quite a sad little last line if you think about it though, hindsight and all that. Had to remind myself of s4e8 :) very good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D quite a sad little last line if you think about it though, hindsight and all that. Had to remind myself of s4e8 :) very good :)

Thanks:) Well I wrote the story after watching most of S3 yesterday, but I just couldn't watch the last episode, it's the old 'happy ending' problem. I guess that's why I write my own happy endings:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant vid TC it made me laugh- how do you & sen think up all these different ideas:confused::confused::):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant vid TC it made me laugh- how do you & sen think up all these different ideas:confused::confused::):)

thanks! GS!.....it was very fun to made ....:D

reading your fic now!!...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really great video TC :) I like all the reasons, but my favourite is 7 (obviously;)) followed by 3, followed by 2. And that song is one of my favourites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to ask this earlier. What is the certificate system on fanfiction.net? Is it a system for a country that isn't the UK (explaining why I haven't seen it before) or is it just weird :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to ask this earlier. What is the certificate system on fanfiction.net? Is it a system for a country that isn't the UK (explaining why I haven't seen it before) or is it just weird :confused:

It's american
    K = 5 yrs+
    K+ = 9 yrs+
    T = 13 yrs +
    M = 16yrs +

Thats what they advise anyhow :)
This discussion has been closed.