Options

Vista SP1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,540
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone a safe link to download Service pack 1. I need to install this pack in order for me to use Zone Alarm as at the minute i don't have any firewall just AVG thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First link on Google?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb738089.aspx

SP2 located here;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/dd262148.aspx

Vista has a built-in firewall, which when used correctly, is pretty good. Also, don't pair up Zone Alarm and AVG, they will conflict with each other. Also, Zone Alarm isn't very good in most people's opinions. Very bloatware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I don't know what else i can use now then. I'm not very good with computers.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    chiller15 wrote: »
    Also, don't pair up Zone Alarm and AVG, they will conflict with each other
    Rubbish! Been using and still use the ZA firewall and AVG anti-virus together on a number of computers for years with no problems.

Unless you mean avoid the ZA anti-virus component they added comparatively recently?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So can anyone point me to a safe link for SP1 download please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is wrong with the link given in post 2?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire33 wrote: »

:confused:What's wrong with the SP1 link posted by chiller15? It is on the Microsoft site and therefore as safe as you will get.

For the record I would go for SP2 myself since that is the current supported version from Microsoft - unless you specifically know that something you use is incompatible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following is generally advised:

One of the following; Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira Anti-Vir or Avast 5
    Plus these; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or SuperAntiSpyware (can use one or both)

With those, and not doing anything dodgy, you shouldn't have any problems.
    Did you not read my post correctly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never noticed that link lol

I have SP2 installed but when i try to install Zone Alarm it keeps telling me i need SP1 installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never noticed that link lol

I have SP2 installed but when i try to install Zone Alarm it keeps telling me i need SP1 installed.
    I'd say your Zone Alarm installer isn't working correctly. You can't have SP2 without having SP1 first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you tried doing a Windows Update / Microsoft Update from the Start Menu? You may have some other update missing. If you have not been doing that regularly (at least once a month) then you could be way behind.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    If you download Microsoft Security Essentials - free by the way, then you will get all your security requirements under the one umbrella. It's an excellent product as well plus it uses very little system resources and you get your updates via Windows Updates feature. Lots of people have ditched AVG (myself included) in favour of MSE as it works so well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to my updates i already have SP1 but yet Zone Alarm is still telling me to get Sp1

ScreenHunter_03Dec081536.jpg
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to my updates i already have SP1 but yet Zone Alarm is still telling me to get Sp1

ScreenHunter_03Dec081536.jpg

Why do you need ZoneAlarm? Windows Firewall is good enough and for extra security use MSE v2b as your AV/AM (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1404859).
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annie
    I don't think beta software will be ideal for this user, especially as it will mean uninstalling AVG - not always the easiest thing to do.

claire33
    Just to check, please open Control Panel -> System. At the top, under "Basic Information" it should show you whether you have Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 installed. If it does not show a Service Pack, you should really install SP2 via Windows Update.

Assuming you really do have SP2 installed, then please do what everyone here is suggesting. Forget about Zone Alarm and SP1; just open the Windows Security Center and make sure the Windows firewall is turned on.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've installed VIsta SP1 ...... note that, it takes over 1 hour, your computer re-starts several times, you must NOT switch it off!

Windows Updates is a lot easier!

The mentioned source is safest! Otherwise, you might try known good sources. eg softpedia, of Majorgeeks ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander

No it doesn't say, Just says things like 32 bit operating system, dell, windows activation thing and a few others.

If i can't use Zone Alarm is there any other easy to use firewall for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i can't use Zone Alarm is there any other easy to use firewall for me.

You have been told more than once!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

WINDOWS FIREWALL
    that is already installed on your PC as it comes with windows!!!!!!

Just enable it from the Windows Control Panel!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i was told its not very good at protecting so i doubt i'll try that one.

I'm not trying to be awkward or a pain annie, I'm just trying to make sure I'm protected safely and especially when I'm a complete numpty with a computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not trying to be awkward or a pain annie, I'm just trying to make sure I'm protected safely and especially when I'm a complete numpty with a computer.

Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials is all you need.

... seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have been given bad advice as the Vista & Windows 7 Firewalls are perfectly fine at protecting your PC.

Older versions of Windows Firewall were quite poor but the situation has changed now!

Remove AVG with the tool on their website (http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools), install MSE v2 from: https://connect.microsoft.com/securityessentials, this should also enable the windows firewall.

Ignore the fact that MSE in in beta as this software has been around quiet a while and works better than version 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it doesn't say "Service Pack 1" or "Service Pack 2", they're not installed. Go to this page and read about the three possible ways to install the service packs. As spiney2 said, these are major upgrades and take some time to download and install. If you let Windows Update do this it should do everything in the right order, but you should also be prepared for a bit of a slog.

You should note that Microsoft no longer supports machines running Vista unless at least SP1 is installed, so later Vista updates may not be usable until you have upgraded to SP1. Many of the updates to Vista are designed to overcome holes in Vista's security - not doing these upgrades is at least as dangerous as not having an effective firewall, so you need to sort out some priorities.

Windows firewall is a firewall! It's part of Vista so you already have it. If you turn it on you will not need another firewall - in fact, you must not try to run more than one firewall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiggs wrote: »

But note that you must do SP1 before SP2. Your pc appears to have neither installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Remove AVG with the tool on their website (http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools), install MSE v2 from: https://connect.microsoft.com/securityessentials, this should also enable the windows firewall.

Ignore the fact that MSE in in beta as this software has been around quiet a while and works better than version 1.

annie
    Are you sure the MSE beta will install properly on Vista without SP1?
    Also, you need a Windows Live ID and a Connect registration to get to the beta. I still don't think this is appropriate for an self-styled "numpty" - too many hurdles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    annie
    Are you sure the MSE beta will install properly on Vista without SP1?

It does require SP1 or SP2 for Vista and SP2 or SP3 for XP.

Anyone running the buggy vanilla Vista needs to review their MS Update usage ie. turn on auto updates as the choice of firewall will be the least of their problems.