Options

EastEnders cut one scene from New Years eve - spoilers

Rapunzel2010Rapunzel2010 Posts: 136
Forum Member
Susan Hill has just tweeted that the BBC have decided to edit out the scene where Ronnie finds the baby dead.

Shame. The critics said this was Sam at her most powerful.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The statement reads:
    We have taken the precaution of editing out the scene where Ronnie finds her son still and touches his hand along with toning down the sound of Kat's baby crying upstairs in the Vic which Ronnie hears from the Square. These are small edits which we have made being mindful of viewer sensitivity but which will in no way detract from the compelling drama, dialogue or performances.
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for goodness sake. Congratulations to the PC Brigade. :confused:

At least Hollyoaks had the balls to do it.
  • Options
    NorfolkBirdNorfolkBird Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They haven't edited out her reaction just the shot of the dead baby, if I've understood the tweet correctly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    As odd as it is to say considering what the content of the scene was, that is a shame, especially with all the hype that's surrounded how hard the filming of it was for those involved.

EDIT: Just read the other previous posts, maybe it won't take away as much if it is only one shot. To be honest I don't think I'd have liked to see the actual shot of the baby.
  • Options
    Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    As odd as it is to say considering what the content of the scene was, that is a shame, especially with all the hype that's surrounded how hard the filming of it was for those involved. Maybe they'll put it on the site as an extra scene or something...

No we still see the doll.
    Kat holds it at the hospital. Examines it and screams he isn't her son.... I can't see how that scene will be cut out as its too important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't actually want to see the baby but I still think it's ridicolous they've had to edit the ep at all just from people who hadn't even seen the episode kicking up a HUGE fuss.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh great, Eastenders back to destroying their episodes to not 'offend'.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous if it's a result of the PC brigade.
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Well, seeing a dead baby isn't going to make for good viewing is it? I mean, it's understanable from afar, but to have a faceshot? It'd be a little unerving!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    What is the importance of seeing the body of Ronnie's baby, we all know he is dead. I think it is voyeuristic to want to see the poor little corpse as well.
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    MrBing wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake. Congratulations to the PC Brigade. :confused:

At least Hollyoaks had the balls to do it.

Genuine question: when did HO do something like this?
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes sense, there's nothing wrong with a mental woman dumping a dead people in someone's house and stealing a live baby, but what freak wants to see her touch the baby's hand?! :rolleyes:
    ads84 wrote: »
    Genuine question: when did HO do something like this?

One baby had cotdeath, that's it i think
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, that's stupid, the most drimatic and, ok messed up scene in the Ep's gone...........
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    One baby had cotdeath, that's it i think

Ah, could it be Mandy's baby, Grace? I vaguely remember Michaela and Amy were looking after her?
  • Options
    LenfaircloughLenfairclough Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous if it's a result of the PC brigade.

Phil Collinson brigade? This back to ITV using Bryan Kirkwood to sabotage EastEnders?
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ronnie's reaction is still intact, that's all that matters really as that's the focus, however I;ve never agreed with editing to please the minority.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we need to see the baby, as long as we see ronnie holding it then it should be enough. I think a scene with a close up of a dead child is a little too much, thats something I never want to see, and never will touchwood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ads84 wrote: »
    Ah, could it be Mandy's baby, Grace? I vaguely remember Michaela and Amy were looking after her?

Yeah, but it was Hannah and Nancy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Phil Collinson brigade? This back to ITV using Bryan Kirkwood to sabotage EastEnders?

I think Bumpandgrind meant 'Politically correct'.

Anyways, I personally find it a little silly. Yes, it is good that the editors/producers are being mindful about viewers' sensitvity, but as a supposed contemporary drama/soap, they have a duty to depict realistic scenes...No matter how far fetched the whole Babyswap storyline may be...:p

Not to go off on another tangent, but does anybody know if its been confirmed that the storyline lasts for two years, I've heard so much different things...
  • Options
    vinnyutd6899vinnyutd6899 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Sorry for being a bit thick but the shot of the dead baby, the baby was a doll right and not an actual dead baby?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for being a bit thick but the shot of the dead baby, the baby was a doll right and not an actual dead baby?

No not an actual dead baby, they used a silicone doll which was apparently very very lifelike. And I presume it was blue in colour :(
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    I know we don't need to see the baby but i still think they should have left it in rather than editing it out. It makes the show more realistic and to some seeing the baby might be a wake up call to how terrible and shocking cot death is it makes people aware. They showed Baby Hassan when the story was done back in 1985 it was done quietly it was very sad no doubt we will have ronnie screaming about her baby which as i have said before does the story no justice sometimes things come across a lot more powerfull if done in a very quiet manner.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Erm... :confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    We still see her find the baby - just not see her stroke the babies hand and face
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    EastEnders bosses have made last-minute changes to the soap's harrowing New Year's Eve episode about cot death to avoid upsetting viewers.
    Programme chiefs said they have made "small edits" to certain scenes in the show, which sees Ronnie Branning lose her day-old baby before swapping it with Kat Moon's newborn son, without altering the content of the story.

Executive producer Bryan Kirkwood said: "We're very aware of the need to deal with such an emotive subject matter as sudden infant death syndrome sensitively in what is a very powerful, dramatic storyline."

Shots of distraught Ronnie, played by Samantha Womack, touching the cold hand of her dead son have been edited out.

Producers have also toned down the sound of Kat's baby crying, which attracts Ronnie's attention as she clutches her lifeless son in Albert Square.

In a further change, they edited a scene which showed new mother Kat (Jessie Wallace) in blood-soaked pyjamas after husband Alfie (Shane Richie) finds her haemorrhaging in her bed.

Kirkwood went on: "These are small edits which we have made being mindful of viewer sensitivity but which will in no way detract from the compelling drama, dialogue or performances."

An EastEnders insider said: "We didn't want one scene to overshadow a really powerful story."

Producers made the changes following a preview screening of the New Year's Eve and New Year's Day episodes.

The soap has worked with the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID) to ensure the story is portrayed accurately.